English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Other

Old 23 January 2011, 23:17   #1
amigapd

Game Testing required for CD32 public domain game compilation

Hi,

Some of you may know I ve being using the excellent CD32 toolkit to create a self booting cd32 public domain games compliation disk which I will then make available for download on this forum and my amigapd website. I have now got 205 games working in Winuae and 30 games which I can't work out why they won't work.

What would be great is if there are users out there prepared to check the games on a real CD32 (I will be doing the same but with 200+ games it will take some time on my own) and let me know if there are problems e.g. llamatron works in Winuae but not on the real cd32 which I don't understand.

Also if there are users who are confident with start scripts and can work out how to get the games which don't work to work (they all have a ZZ prefix in the menu) that would be brill as there are some good games in that group which I would like to play e.g. Super Foul Egg and Pokermania.

Lastly, how should I make the test CD ISO image available - should I put it in the zone or just email it to users who are prepared to help.

List of tasks to complete before the cd is finished:
  1. Test games on real CD32 - Amiga 1200
  2. Add text descriptions to each game
  3. Modify menu image
  4. Add songs to menu
  5. Check games status e.g. freeware / shareware demo / public domain
  6. Add games screenshots for each game (may not happen if it slows menu down)
Thanks in advance and thanks to everyone who has helped me to get to the stage of 200 games working.
Old 24 January 2011, 14:36   #2
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Would be nice to include some U4IA (alias F8 or Jim Young) music on the CD - I like his stuff and I can contact him via Facebook and ask him for his permission to use some of his music if you like.

I don't have a CD32 so cant test stuff I'm afraid but I'm sure there will be some people on here that can... guys?
Old 24 January 2011, 16:54   #3
amigapd

Yes that would be great - at the moment I ve got chuck rock and some other music from commercial games but this will have to be removed before making the cd available for general download as I am sure these will still be copyrighted.

One question relating to point 5 of things to do, Burton Bird appears in the Tosec PD collection - is this made up of licenceware games aswell as pd - or just public domain games incuding former licenceware/ shareware games which are now public domain?
Old 24 January 2011, 17:00   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigapd View Post
is this made up of licenceware games aswell as pd - or just public domain games incuding former licenceware/ shareware games which are now public domain?
It's mixed. I wouldn't rely on the info given within the TOSEC tags, but rather boot the game and have a look. If you aren't going to sell the CD (image), I personally wouldn't spend too much time thinking about those issues, as it's a real task to find shareware authors still selling their games today.
Old 24 January 2011, 18:15   #5
amigapd

Thanks - there is no plan to sell the cd image or the physical cd - what I think I will do is add a page on my website for shareware authors to provide up to date information e.g. game now available as freeware and links to their sites.

In terms of testing the cd should I upload the current test cd image with this thread for users to download or should I put it in the zone or just email it to interested users who are prepared to test the cd?
Old 24 January 2011, 18:19   #6
Djay
95th User

in 2 days i will have a CD32 so i can test if you need
Old 24 January 2011, 21:06   #7
trebormills
Amiga Quackers

i have a cd32 if you need a hand with testing
Old 25 January 2011, 02:11   #8
amigapd

Thank you both for your kind offers - The file is too large to add as an attachment to this post or to upload to the zone - I ve uploaded it to my website to a page which is hidden to normal visitors - the link is

http://www.amigapd.com/cd32-compilation-download.html

The file is quite large 78MB in RAR and 188mb unzipped - it is a iso so can be burnt with most cd burners
I don't know how long it will take to download but hopefully it wont be too long - please let me know

Remember the text descriptions have not been finished yet and I am interested if the games work on a real CD32 - the games with a zz prefix don't work and I am working on those. Some games may require a keyboard e.g. Pengo asks you to press space to move on from the shareware screen.

Thanks again

Last edited by amigapd; 10 February 2011 at 13:39. Reason: update of link
Old 25 January 2011, 02:29   #9
Djay
95th User

i will check it out and let you know!
Old 25 January 2011, 03:43   #10
trebormills
Amiga Quackers

Downloading, ill burn tomorrow and try it out...good catch re keyboard, ill make sure its plugged in before booting CD

edit>
DANG cant get my burnt cd to work in cd32...i think i need some different discs...works fine in winuae.
Ill try to grab some cdr's..any tips on best discs to try these days?? I have some sony cdr from 3 years ago that work great, sadly i have run out of them

edit
got some cdr's so will look into burning and testing

Last edited by trebormills; 01 February 2011 at 18:20.
Old 27 January 2011, 01:05   #11
amigapd

any tips on best discs to try these days?? I have some sony cdr from 3 years ago that work great, sadly i have run out of them[/quote]

Any CDR should be fine - I use the ones from the 99p store for testing and they work fine. Once you get it working if you can just list the games you ve tested on the cd32 that would help me know which ones are still outstanding . Hope you enjoy it.

I know Lasttetris won't work on it but I ve fixed that now - also fixed Brutal Homicide which was one of the ZZ games.

Big Thank you to Boo Boo who has helped with getting Giddy 2, Battle Pong, Super Foul Egg, Santa and Rudolph Poker Mania and Flaschbier to work - Thanks for your on going support with this project.

UPDATE - The second version of the CD is now available for download and now includes pictures for majority of games -

Known errors include Lord, Lord 3, Fayoh, Hoi don't seem to work on real CD32 but work in Winuae under debug mode for toolkit - bull run has mouse pointer issue. Thrust doesn't work.

Last edited by amigapd; 05 February 2011 at 17:21. Reason: update on link
Old 08 February 2011, 14:35   #12
other_reality

I am more than happy to playtest your compilation on a real unexpanded cd32 with mouse/keyb, although it seems impossible to download the file. Is there any problem with the server of some sort ?
Old 08 February 2011, 14:52   #13
amigapd

Apologies I took the link down this morning as I wanted to upload the new version but it exceeds the 100mb limit for upload on my website - I will hopefully have the link back up and working late tonight -

Just had confirmation from F1 Licenceware that it is ok to include burton bird and I ve got Lord of Alcandia 2 and 3 working which was the reason why I wanted to upload the latest version.

I will PM you when the link is back working.

Thanks for the offer..

UPDATE :Tuesday 8th Feb 10:40 pm - New cd image available for download -

http://www.amigapd.com/cd32-compilation-download.html

Last edited by amigapd; 10 February 2011 at 14:14.
Old 08 February 2011, 21:12   #14
nujack
Zone Friend

Thanks for your effords. Will try it out later on my CD32.
Old 15 March 2011, 12:15   #15
other_reality

I have tested it a bit, played some games. It is great ! Menu and screenshots are in most games and all is fine. Couple of games didnt work, but i will come back to this thread with detailed infos. The test was on an unexpanded cd32 with keyboard.

It would be a good idea to categorize the games in some way. Navigating through the big list is not that much fun. I know it is a pain with so many games, but there must be a better way through that list, in some way like the compliation of rochabian etc.