Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 09 September 2004, 12:15   #1
redblade
Zone Friend

click here to download amiga games

Is there any chance of changing the announcement on req.amigaoldgames

to "click here to download amiga games"
and then link it to the faq.

as I believe more ppl will be likely to click that first time, instead or requesting files that are easily found on planetemu.net etc etc.

just a suggestion.
Old 09 September 2004, 12:27   #2
Marlon

Yeah, but you know, you just KNOW that such people will then ask why "the downloads on this site don't work" despite, DESPITE their question being answered in the Faq. Kill 'em all, I reckon. It's the only way to be sure...
Old 09 September 2004, 16:15   #3
RCK
Administrator

I have update the text annoucement to something more simple, more colorfull, hope it will be better
Old 10 September 2004, 00:40   #4
redblade
Zone Friend

what about if when you sign up, it automatically jumps to the "where to download games" section part of the FAQ ???.

I never read the FAQ till 4 months after. the only bit I saw was, don't post about the following things:

religion/politics.
Old 10 September 2004, 08:19   #5
Shoonay
Global Caturator

...something tells me that this thread will break the most views record
Old 15 October 2004, 22:45   #6
redblade
Zone Friend

some one just requested games again in req.oldgames =]

perhaps you may need to create a sticky thread (what ever that does) in req.games.
Old 15 October 2004, 22:48   #7
Peanutuk

I still think new users should be automatically emailed outlining the basic points
Old 15 October 2004, 23:08   #8
Jim

I think you should ban all new users, close the registration system. Simple

Old 15 October 2004, 23:11   #9
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutuk
I still think new users should be automatically emailed outlining the basic points
It's already the case, they received a link to F.A.Q
Old 15 October 2004, 23:16   #10
RCK
Administrator

current message:
Quote:
$username,

Thanks for registering at English Amiga Board! We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

Before posting, please read our F.A.Q ! http://eab.abime.net/faq.php
You will find here our RULES, how to DOWNLOAD, etc.

Thanks again,
English Amiga Board team
Old 16 October 2004, 06:17   #11
redblade
Zone Friend

perhaps in that msg you could mention:

by reading the FAQ you will find sites where you can download 97% of available games on the amiga RIGHT NOW, and those other 3% are available via the users of eab.

If you don't read the FAQ you get the picture of shame.
Old 16 October 2004, 08:24   #12
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade
perhaps in that msg you could mention:

by reading the FAQ you will find sites where you can download 97% of available games on the amiga RIGHT NOW, and those other 3% are available via the users of eab.

If you don't read the FAQ you get the picture of shame.
Good idea.

A new user might think the email message is just providing dumbass instructions on how to download a file.

I don't think there's a danger of patronising a user's intelligence by pointing these things out too much. Once they've been here a few days/weeks they'd understand why we have done this.

And if we still get idiots who post requests for SWOS or whatever then we can all have no excuse not to flame the hell out of them and be as rude as possible

Old 16 October 2004, 15:44   #13
RCK
Administrator

added
Old 17 October 2004, 00:35   #14
Drake1009

Couldn't you implement otherwise into the code of the board that new users automatically get a title saying "not bothering with FAQs" and only have it changed once the user's visited at least one of the FAQs? Would probably be a bit of work, but as far as I can tell with all the mods you've already made it seems like it could be quite simple. Or outline a couple of FAQs the users were required to read (like the rules, and the download FAQ since that's what a lot of the obvious none-reads are) and only have it reset to normal when the required FAQs had been visited.

Would definately make the user (if he reviews his post in the forum) notice that people know he hadn't read the FAQ, also make him stand out.
Old 17 October 2004, 01:44   #15
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Good idea.
I don't think there's a danger of patronising a user's intelligence by pointing these things out too much. Once they've been here a few days/weeks they'd understand why we have done this.

And if we still get idiots who post requests for SWOS or whatever then we can all have no excuse not to flame the hell out of them and be as rude as possible
Ah yes but what will the pic of shame be

And Drake your idea seems cool as well. =]
Old 17 October 2004, 02:00   #16
oldpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1009
Couldn't you implement otherwise into the code of the board that new users automatically get a title saying "not bothering with FAQs" and only have it changed once the user's visited at least one of the FAQs? Would probably be a bit of work, but as far as I can tell with all the mods you've already made it seems like it could be quite simple. Or outline a couple of FAQs the users were required to read (like the rules, and the download FAQ since that's what a lot of the obvious none-reads are) and only have it reset to normal when the required FAQs had been visited.

Would definately make the user (if he reviews his post in the forum) notice that people know he hadn't read the FAQ, also make him stand out.
How can we know if the person has read the faq and understood it instead of loading the page without reading. Then maybe people should be required to "unlock" their n00b status with the information given at the end of the FAQ. I admit it's not a practical or a smart solution.

Old 17 October 2004, 09:37   #17
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1009
Couldn't you implement otherwise into the code of the board
Good idea , users have to read the FAQ. And to prove they have done it they have to enter into a box the number of times the word "ROMs" appears in the FAQ to fully enable thier account

Old 18 October 2004, 01:52   #18
redblade
Zone Friend

perhaps on that msg when people signup you could have another url, Websites where you can download games, which links to the 'games downloading sites' in the FAQ ?

I mean if they don't read the faq, the can at least read the part of the faq where you can get games from.
Old 23 October 2004, 00:44   #19
Medvind

Wouldn't the best thing be if they had to write down a phrase just instead of looking for a particular word. Like if there is a "download the game" button they'd come to a page where they'd have to enter a certain phrase to continue, like "i cant download games on this site and im a lameass for trying". Everyone who registers should have to do the same.

This sticks more, actually throwing the already obvious in his/hers face. You know, like when you always have to type your password twice. It really makes you really think extra hard
Old 23 October 2004, 00:58   #20
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

on the reg-page, have a radiobutton with "I have read the FAQ" . . . . and they won't be able to select "send application" untill they click it :P