English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 December 2019, 16:08   #601
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Sure its recap that is needed? Did you add anything to the Amiga that might have caused this. Check boot screen errors for possible causes and maybe it might be simple fix. Although recap is recommended if not been done.

It looks relatively doable on YouTube but when it comes to practically replicating the videos it's another matter altogether! Lol
I hadn't used it in about 6 Months and has only done it a Few times maybe some Power just Needed running through the Board or Something. I do Still want to Recap it now though just to Prolong Life anyway
Old 31 December 2019, 15:58   #602
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Happy New year to All! Does anybody Want a Deathmatch On a game Picked the Most out of Four that Come to Mind that will tantalise Tastebuds

Unreal tournament
Quake
Duke 3d
Doom
(Does Rise of the Triad have Multiplayer?)
Old 31 December 2019, 16:07   #603
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm1991 View Post
Happy New year to All! Does anybody Want a Deathmatch On a game Picked the Most out of Four that Come to Mind that will tantalise Tastebuds

Unreal tournament
Quake
Duke 3d
Doom
(Does Rise of the Triad have Multiplayer?)
What are you connecting via?
Old 31 December 2019, 16:37   #604
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
What are you connecting via?
Preference of Others? I am just Game to have a good old New Years Deathmatch
Old 31 December 2019, 16:43   #605
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Hi Toni Can See you Checking the Discussion out Pop in for a Chat Everybody is Welcome here :-)
Old 06 January 2020, 10:21   #606
Glen M

Quote:
I think my Amiga 1200 needs a recap. Occasionally just White Screens :-( Shall I Attempt myself as I Can solder or shall I leave this one to a Proffesional?

Or would it Be the Homemade Atx Psu to Amiga Psu Conversion I have Done? Commodore PSU Died :-(
Just digging up an old comment here but if your 1200 hasn't been recapped already then please get it done asap.

Doing it yourself is another matter. You need either a hot air rework station or a pair of soldering tweezers to get the old caps off. Also you'll need a roll of high temperature masking tape and some flux to help the new solder flow. Several of SMD caps are extremely difficult to get to just because the space around them is so restricted like those around the keyboard connector. I suppose what I'd say is if you haven't done it before then your A1200 maybe isn't the platform to try first. My first recap was an old Sega Game Gear. That's a good system to cut your teeth on.
Old 07 January 2020, 16:19   #607
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
Just digging up an old comment here but if your 1200 hasn't been recapped already then please get it done asap.

Doing it yourself is another matter. You need either a hot air rework station or a pair of soldering tweezers to get the old caps off. Also you'll need a roll of high temperature masking tape and some flux to help the new solder flow. Several of SMD caps are extremely difficult to get to just because the space around them is so restricted like those around the keyboard connector. I suppose what I'd say is if you haven't done it before then your A1200 maybe isn't the platform to try first. My first recap was an old Sega Game Gear. That's a good system to cut your teeth on.
Funny Enough My Game Gear is in Desperate Need of a Recap and a New screen as I have a Couple of Coloured vertical Lines which I have read I will not be able to get them out reflowing the Ribbon Cable? I will take your advice and Source out a Mcwill Mod and Cap Kit and do the Game Gear first. Would you be able to point me in the Right direction to a Budget Friendly Rework station as I do want to get the Kit. The Most Advanced Soldering I have done is Turning old broken top Screen Nintendo Ds Lites and Converting them into Full time Gameboys By soldering a Resistor to two Points on the Main Board and Reattaching one of the Speakers to the Main Board also. They are Nicknamed the Gameboy Macro. I have even started attaching bubble rod and a led into the Hinge just for Effect but is a Nice touch :-)
Old 08 January 2020, 10:19   #608
Glen M

Quote:
Funny Enough My Game Gear is in Desperate Need of a Recap and a New screen as I have a Couple of Coloured vertical Lines which I have read I will not be able to get them out reflowing the Ribbon Cable? I will take your advice and Source out a Mcwill Mod and Cap Kit and do the Game Gear first. Would you be able to point me in the Right direction to a Budget Friendly Rework station as I do want to get the Kit. The Most Advanced Soldering I have done is Turning old broken top Screen Nintendo Ds Lites and Converting them into Full time Gameboys By soldering a Resistor to two Points on the Main Board and Reattaching one of the Speakers to the Main Board also. They are Nicknamed the Gameboy Macro. I have even started attaching bubble rod and a led into the Hinge just for Effect but is a Nice touch :-)
You might be able to fix the ribbon cable. Use a very low temperature on the iron and drag it across the ribbon when the console is on. It might work, it might not but worth a try. McWill is great but bloody expensive, you'd need to be a hardcore gamegear fan to spend that much on the screen. I just kept my original screen but I've been toying with the idea of an LED backlight mod to increase battery life.

My rework station is one of the cheap ones amazon. The exact model number of mine is no longer available but the current one appears to be 998D. If you search on amazon for rework station 998D you'll find it for about £50. Like anything though you get what you pay for and if you can afford it get a branded unit.
Old 08 January 2020, 14:49   #609
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
You might be able to fix the ribbon cable. Use a very low temperature on the iron and drag it across the ribbon when the console is on. It might work, it might not but worth a try. McWill is great but bloody expensive, you'd need to be a hardcore gamegear fan to spend that much on the screen. I just kept my original screen but I've been toying with the idea of an LED backlight mod to increase battery life.

My rework station is one of the cheap ones amazon. The exact model number of mine is no longer available but the current one appears to be 998D. If you search on amazon for rework station 998D you'll find it for about £50. Like anything though you get what you pay for and if you can afford it get a branded unit.
Please shoot me down if this Sounds Ridiculous but I have a Abundance of DS Lite Screens here. If I could Figure out a way for that to be Compatible with the Game Gear and Just Make a Bezel around the Screen ( This is of Course if the Heat Trick doesn't Work) then The image would be Miles better than the Original Screen and with Far less Ghosting?

P.s I am a Hardcore Master System fan does That Count?
Old 10 January 2020, 09:56   #610
Glen M

Quote:
Please shoot me down if this Sounds Ridiculous but I have a Abundance of DS Lite Screens here. If I could Figure out a way for that to be Compatible with the Game Gear and Just Make a Bezel around the Screen ( This is of Course if the Heat Trick doesn't Work) then The image would be Miles better than the Original Screen and with Far less Ghosting?

P.s I am a Hardcore Master System fan does That Count?
I seriously doubt the DS screen will work. The McWill mod isn't just a screen but also come circuitry behind it.

Before my Amigas I had the Master System 2 so I do have a soft spot for it. I have a master system converter for the game gear and I used to play all my old games on the go. Sonic on the master system was always one of my favourites and the first game I ever completed. Fun fact the first time I ever beat it on the first level I accidentally ran into the very first enemy killing myself haha.
Old 11 January 2020, 18:26   #611
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
I seriously doubt the DS screen will work. The McWill mod isn't just a screen but also come circuitry behind it.

Before my Amigas I had the Master System 2 so I do have a soft spot for it. I have a master system converter for the game gear and I used to play all my old games on the go. Sonic on the master system was always one of my favourites and the first game I ever completed. Fun fact the first time I ever beat it on the first level I accidentally ran into the very first enemy killing myself haha.
Sonic 1 on the Master System is a MasterPiece!

My Favourites Are Asterix and Alien 3!

in my opinion the only way Alien 3 should be Played is the Master System Version I find all of the others ( Even Mega Drive) to be far too Difficult to be Enjoyable
Old 16 January 2020, 00:23   #612
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

In the P2 System will it Cause Issues Running a Aureal Vortex PCI Soundcard and also have the Awe 64 installed in the ISA Slot for the Legacy Games? would I have to Disable one as I use the other?

Or would just Disabling SoundBlaster Legacy Support on the Aureal be Enough?
Old 16 January 2020, 10:09   #613
Glen M

LGR did something like this last week on his channel so maybe worth giving that a watch. As far as I know so long as you have no resource conflicts then you'll be fine. You just need to change the default device to whatever card you want to use in windows. In DOS just point to the different cards addresses and they should work.

Good luck.
Old 17 January 2020, 20:44   #614
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
LGR did something like this last week on his channel so maybe worth giving that a watch. As far as I know so long as you have no resource conflicts then you'll be fine. You just need to change the default device to whatever card you want to use in windows. In DOS just point to the different cards addresses and they should work.

Good luck.
Your a star thanks Buddy just Watched the Video makes Great Sense :-)

Would you have any Idea as to why I am Getting a Freeze on the 98se Splash Screen when trying to install a Geforce 2 mx? Have Tried all Drivers to no Avail I have Disabled everything I Don't need onboard Wise. I have to uninstall in Safe mode and the Standard Pci Graphics Driver will Work. I have Manually pointed it to Driver Folders tojust get the Same Result so have Put the Rage pro you Kindly Donated in to it for now

Sorry I should have Mentioned its a i440BX Chipset on the P2

Last edited by nathanm1991; 17 January 2020 at 21:07.
Old 17 January 2020, 22:15   #615
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Sonic 1 on the Master System is a MasterPiece!

I think at least 3-4 times I completed game, first on Master System itself, later on emulators.
Old 17 January 2020, 22:58   #616
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I think at least 3-4 times I completed game, first on Master System itself, later on emulators.
I have Beaten the Game but never Collected all of the Stars and Secrets is that Still Technically Completing it though?
Old 20 January 2020, 14:44   #617
Glen M

Quote:
Your a star thanks Buddy just Watched the Video makes Great Sense :-)

Would you have any Idea as to why I am Getting a Freeze on the 98se Splash Screen when trying to install a Geforce 2 mx? Have Tried all Drivers to no Avail I have Disabled everything I Don't need onboard Wise. I have to uninstall in Safe mode and the Standard Pci Graphics Driver will Work. I have Manually pointed it to Driver Folders tojust get the Same Result so have Put the Rage pro you Kindly Donated in to it for now

Sorry I should have Mentioned its a i440BX Chipset on the P2
I remember Windows 98 being a bit odd at times with regards to the order of installing drivers. I always install motherboard drivers first then GPU then sound then directx. Trying to install the likes of GPU drivers first certainly used to give me issues back in the day.

Of course the alternative could simply be a bad card.
Old 20 January 2020, 21:53   #618
lesta_smsc

There was an issue with new drivers and Win98. Try reverting to an older driver.
Old 21 January 2020, 13:01   #619
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
There was an issue with new drivers and Win98. Try reverting to an older driver.
I have tried Quite a few different Drivers to no Avail
Old 21 January 2020, 13:04   #620
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Am going to try order of Driver installation as GlenM Suggested and will let you know the outcome