English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 21 May 2017, 20:32   #2021
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Passengers. Ai ai ai, I want to like this movie. But... well I like it enough for one viewing, but it could have been a movie worthy to love.

It has so much going for it; its sexy, it has good actors that fit their parts, its well crafted; you can see that they thought it through when designing a sort of cruise space ship, down to the aggressive capitalism. Michael Sheen plays an android bartender and I must say: if they ever introduce the character Data into the new line of Star Trek movies, I want this actor to play him. So good!

But its also 2 hours long and the first hour and a half is a wickedly slow love story in space where the characters are designed to run around in skimpy clothes as often as possible and you know from the first second everything that is going to happen, while the last half hour is sort of Event Horizon but then without any horror elements. The pacing is excruciatingly awkward and makes any second viewing just not tempting at all. If you must see it, rent it or wait for your favorite Netflix clone to pick it up.

BUT!... yeah there is just something about it. It may be crooked as shit as a movie, but by golly they tried to make it work. And that is worth something.

6.9/10
AdSense AdSense  
Old 22 May 2017, 12:35   #2022
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
BUT!... yeah there is just something about it.
Yes. Something...
Old 23 May 2017, 16:27   #2023
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
No I get it, I've been watching far less lately too. Not hard to imagine, the movies I'm looking forward to seeing right now are Fast 8, Alien: Covenant, Transformers 5, Guardians OT Galaxy 2, Pirates 5, Blade Runner 2049, Thor 3, Star Wars 8. Sequelitis and superhero shit.

And then Wonder Woman and Spider Man: Homecoming. More superhero shit. Jebus.

Its a good year for cinema and at the same time a really poor year for cinema
- just franchises, no art. Although Blade Runner is starting to look like it may actually be awesome.
You are right... and add to that Horizon: Zero Dawn that offers more entertainment... nice story and well done voice acting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
Yes. Something...
Interesting something...
Old 23 May 2017, 22:14   #2024
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

And now I'm watching movies left and right. Up next: Spy. Yay, another James Bond spoof.

... but it's actually funny. I didn't even think that Jason Statham could actually be anything more than a weak clone of the transporter in every single role he plays (except for Crank's Chev Chelios which is just a terrific character)), but here he is playing a ridiculous blundering idiot who thinks he's XXX. Funny over the top characters and a script that gets more fowl-mouthed and crass by the minute it passes (hilariously), this movie really brought me back to the 80's and 90's.

7.5/10, will watch again several times. Sue me for complaining about there being no art in film and then laughing my ass off at this piece of work.
Old 25 May 2017, 15:32   #2025
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Alien: Covenant

Oh man, I had high hopes for this one. If this is going to be your first Alien movie, you'll probably enjoy it a lot. Its a decent entry in the saga... except that it just doesn't really add anything new to the table other than a beautiful but deadly planet which looks suspiciously like Ireland. Its your basic monster movie. With not enough monster.

If you go into this movie know this: the next movie is going to take place between Prometheus and Covenant and will likely hold the actual plot you might have been looking for here. If you are expecting some questions to be answered in Covenant - there are no questions answered. And no new questions created either. This movie when the franchise is complete will probably go down as the Phantom Menace of the lot; pointless.

You can see that the idea was to incorporate more of the first Alien into the movie. Except that they failed to do the one thing that is necessary: include interesting characters you can relate to. What did the Nostromo crew have? everything, including a visible split between those who earn a lot and those who earn very little which gave the characters all their reasons to do the things they do and act the way they act. You had your jokers, your scientists; you had your brave and your frightened, your greedy and your heroic. A nice little ensemble you could identify with and get to like - and hate.

Alien: Covenant should have that, except that they stuck it all in promotional material and none of it ended up in the movie itself. You just have a bunch of drones who are set up to be slaughtered; cookie cutter characters you don't ever give a hoot about. And since you're looking at these people just making an unprofessional mess of things the entire time... yeah its not great viewing material. Of course its all as predictable as it can be, there are no unsuspected twists. At least Prometheus made you think, a severely underrated movie. Now that I've seen Covenant I realize how severely underrated Alien 3 is too. At least that movie got the formula right; bleak, brutal, emotional and although a bunch of drones too, there are interesting characters in there whom you want to see survive. Alien 4? My god, except for the sickening ending and the retarded cloning subplot, I now see how original and good it actually was!

No, I was rooting for the aliens in this one. They're the true stars of the movie and what do you know... not enough screen time. Come on Ridley, make up your mind. Just do the full-on Alien movie and get it over with. Don't half-ass it with this shit.

6.5/10
Old 01 June 2017, 18:47   #2026
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

After long absenteeism from watching movies, finally saw one...

Guardians of Galaxy Vol. 2

I hoped a lot of this movie, firstly to be funny and entertaining (delivered), expand Marvel universe (they did, adding Stallone to franchise), have interesting story and finally show who really is Star-Lord's daddy.

All of that with more 80s music and references, including Hoff's cameo... well done and funny as hell..

8.5/10

ps. They really should hire family counselor for all characters in this franchise.
Old 02 June 2017, 20:35   #2027
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Going to see it tomorrow! Can't wait.

---

Oh man, Guardians 2 is again classic entertainment. You know a movie is good when it has people laughing during the title sequence, the movie itself AND the credits. Nobody left the cinema until the screen went to black.

8.9/10

Also seen: American Ultra. Weirdly wonderful! The movie definitely deserves higher praise than it got. 7/10

And: Jungle Book - the live action adaptation. I was apprehensive about Disney's rebooting of all classics into live action movies. But now having seen this beauty, I can't wait to see the Lion King done in the same way. Excellent voice acting, excellent visuals. But they messed a bit with the classic, especially the elephants could have been done better and king Louis should have been a little more goofy.

7.5/10

Last edited by gimbal; 05 June 2017 at 18:58.
Old 06 June 2017, 14:43   #2028
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Going to see it tomorrow! Can't wait.
And: Jungle Book - the live action adaptation. I was apprehensive about Disney's rebooting of all classics into live action movies. But now having seen this beauty, I can't wait to see the Lion King done in the same way. Excellent voice acting, excellent visuals. But they messed a bit with the classic, especially the elephants could have been done better and king Louis should have been a little more goofy.

7.5/10
My kids got bit freaked with Kaa and Scarlett Johansson voice. It was well made and good example how to correctly move from cartoon to real movie.
Old 06 June 2017, 22:08   #2029
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

bit of excellent Jungle Book related entertainment that always captivates me:

[ Show youtube player ]

I'm no Robbie Williams fan but DAMN... that's a performance.
Old 07 June 2017, 01:38   #2030
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Neither I am, but I do watch Norton's show... and a bit of Carr's humor.

That is quire performance.... can't remember if that is episode when Robbie was asked what was most outrageous thing that happened to him... (*blow*) and where girl had his tattoo...
Old 10 June 2017, 16:00   #2031
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Pirates 5 - Salazar's Revenge . AKA Dead Men Tell No Tales, because for some reason movies need to have multiple names.

*sigh*. If this is your first pirates movie, you're probably going to love it. If this is your fifth pirate movie, you're probably going to be wondering why they're showing you everything you've already seen, but just less of it.

I liked the fourth pirates movie, where everyone seems to hate it. It wasn't the strongest entry in the series, but there was chemistry in it. PenÚlope Cruz (and her sister) played well apposing Johnny Depp's tiring Jack Sparrow; in fact her character should have been in this movie to give it some life. Blackbeard as a bad guy wasn't too big of a presence on screen, but he was a bad guy that you wanted to like as a sort of evil intended uncle that you look up to. And the mermaids were just a nice addition that were sorely missing in previous movies.

So what does Pirates 5 have? Nothing! Johnny Depp does a huge amount of overacting to do Jack Sparrow. In this movie he overacts Jack Sparrow to the point where it becomes a bore. He has no apposing character, unless you count yet again Barbossa even though Geoffrey Rush is now playing the character as if it is no more than a tired sea dog; no real conviction behind that role anymore, just in it for the paycheck. The rag-tag gang of pirates used to be a character of their own, not so here, just cannon fodder with no added fun to the movie.

Story? Nah. Just pirates, ghosts and a hunt for a new treasure. Characters? Apparently ideas ran out because now they're throwing sons and daughters at you, plus some older characters/actors are recycled, not to a great effect.

And the bad guy in the form of Salazar? Just a watered down Barbossa from the first movie. Javier Bardem might have his moments in "serious" cinema, as an action adventure movie character he just doesn't cut it at all. "Captain Jack Sparrooow, I hate him, I hate him!". Jebus.

Beautiful scenery, nice CGI ship sequences and an awesome flashback sequence showing how well they can use computers to make actors young again. But as a pirates movie... MEH. Yet again a late entry in the series makes me appreciate the earlier works. Davy Jones simply was the most awesome bad guy of the lot.

5/10
Old 12 June 2017, 15:31   #2032
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

The Accountant - Let's start this with first acknowledge that I am not fun of Ben Affleck, who in my opinion is great support actor, and only movie that I liked with him as lead role was Paycheck. Well, this would be second good movie that he leads and fits perfectly.
From kid with autism to accountant specialized in finding 'something out of ordinary' with good background story and with well measured action that follows... well done. 7.9 / 10

Journey to the Center of the Earth - saw this movie with kids and even they like Jules Verne's books and liked Journey 2 with Rock, this movie just wasn't good and even for kids did not make much sense. From fact that deep inside earth and close to lava it is not that hot to limited humor and 'woow' moments. On positive side, Anita Briem added bit of Icelandic spice. For some reason Fraser and Josh Hutcherson just don't click in this movie. Not sure why this movie has third instatement in series coming soon, but I really hope it will be better then this... As previous 3 movies, this one follows yet another Verne's book - Jurney 3: From the Earth to the Moon. 4/10 if you are adult and 5/10 if you are kiddo.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - not sure how to categorize this Tim Burton's movie nor what audience this was made for - too cheese for teens and young adults, too childish for adults, too scary for little kids. Only reason I saw it - Eva Green - Miss lves from Penny Dreadful. (now, that was something worth watching ) First half of the movie I almost fall a sleep, until Samuel Jackson's appearance as main villain - Baron... and action and whole movie got some speed and become bit more fun. Still not something I would strongly recommend... too many holes in a story... that not some big names actors could not make whole... 5.5/10

Last edited by Anubis; 12 June 2017 at 16:04.
Old 12 June 2017, 21:15   #2033
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
The Accountant - Let's start this with first acknowledge that I am not fun of Ben Affleck, who in my opinion is great support actor, and only movie that I liked with him as lead role was Paycheck. Well, this would be second good movie that he leads and fits perfectly.
Apparently the director's cut of Daredevil is also pretty good as apposed to the original theatrical release which was destroyed by Hollywood execs.

The Sum of All Fears also wasn't bad.

Other than that... blegh. I just can't stand his whiney voice. Especially in Armageddon and Pearl Harbor, so bad.
Old 17 June 2017, 05:25   #2034
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

You're right... Sum of all fears was also good. I have a DVD of Daredevil, not sure what version. I will check it.

We saw The Boss Baby tonight... I almost fell asleep and movie just wasn't that interesting as some other kids movies. Voices are fine, visuals also fine, but whole presentation just bit off... story is very forgettable. I guess it can teach kids about sharing parent's love, but who needs that when is more fun to be only kid.

Kids 5/10, parents 3/10.
Old 19 June 2017, 20:29   #2035
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Resident Evil 7 - the Final Chapter.

Not much to be said about this turd. The ending they coughed up here could have been done several movies ago without problem. That's probably just the most aggravating about all of it - movies 4-6 are just pointless, they add nothing to the plot or the lore except for giving you a taste of Wesker, who has only a very lowly role here.

As to the movie itself... utterly forgettable. It has no punch left at all, just a rehash of everything you've already seen. Even the opportunity to do some fanservice and add some depth to both Raccoon City and the hive from the first two movies was utterly passed over. And what's worse: the friggin' shaky cam is back. Hollywood: up yours.

3.5/10
AdSense AdSense