English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 10 March 2006, 22:40   #1
jotd
This cat is no more

WinUAE 1.2 problem/improvement/request/proposal :)

Hi all,

I upgraded from winuae 1.1 to 1.2 recently and I found out that some problems were fixed, and some appeared

nasty problem fixed:

when I used drag'n'drop of a Windows dir mounted as a harddrive into ClassAction, the display froze until WinUAE 1.1. With WinUAE 1.2 it works all right (that's cool because I had no way to gain back controls in full screen mode!)

small issue:

v1.2 warns that my rtg.library is too old (40 dot something). Annoyed by the message, I replaced it by the one found in 1.2 "amiga programs" subfolders, and it doesn't complain anymore, but everytime I open a shell, I get a recoverable alert. I reverted to old rtg.library and the problem is no more!

request:

Can some talented UAE coder add MMU support (for 68040 would be great) in WinUAE, even if it means disabling JIT: it would be really nice to use WHDLoad SNOOP modes as a slave coder...

proposal:

Tony, do you still have trouble running Base Jumpers CD32? I promised a logfile some 3 years ago but never produced a proper one. Now I can have a proper look at this game if you like, even resource the exe and find which calls to cd.device are performed.
Old 10 March 2006, 23:01   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd
Can some talented UAE coder add MMU support (for 68040 would be great) in WinUAE, even if it means disabling JIT: it would be really nice to use WHDLoad SNOOP modes as a slave coder...
IMHO it would be much easier to add "new" MMU API via UAE callbacks (or similar) instead of emulating MMU with complex features that are never really needed. (like address mapping, instruction restarting due to bus errors, different supervisor/non-supervisor mappings, correct bus error stack frames etc..)

I guess WHDLoad mainly needs information when/if address x or address range is accessed? (read or write access, even custom chip DMA accesses can be trapped if needed)

This kind of "MMU emulation" would be really easy to implement (already implemented for build-in debugger)

Note that JIT always makes all kinds of "MMU emulation" methods unreliable.

(more answers later)
Old 10 March 2006, 23:58   #3
DaZZaBoY
Diamond Geezer!

Just upgraded to v1.2 from 0.9x and loading + overall use is generally sluggish and not a very nice experience. Any ideas? Never had any probs b4 the upgrade.
Old 11 March 2006, 01:33   #4
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
delete ya config files and rebuild them. May help as thats quite a version jump.
Old 11 March 2006, 10:00   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaZZaBoY
Just upgraded to v1.2 from 0.9x and loading + overall use is generally sluggish and not a very nice experience. Any ideas? Never had any probs b4 the upgrade.
Not much info in your report... but I guess this is caused by the usual active priority being too high. Try setting it to normal or below normal.
Old 11 March 2006, 12:54   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd
v1.2 warns that my rtg.library is too old (40 dot something). Annoyed by the message, I replaced it by the one found in 1.2 "amiga programs" subfolders, and it doesn't complain anymore, but everytime I open a shell, I get a recoverable alert. I reverted to old rtg.library and the problem is no more!
Standard shell or KingCON etc? OS version? Does changing resolution or color depth fix the problem? (or windowed/fullscreen switching) What recoverable alert?
Old 11 March 2006, 18:45   #7
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
Standard shell or KingCON etc? OS version? Does changing resolution or color depth fix the problem? (or windowed/fullscreen switching) What recoverable alert?
Standard shell AND KingCON. OS 3.9.
I'm in fullscreen mode and 256 colors, but did not try to change the resolution. Yes, my bugreport isn't too helpful about the details, sorry, I just thought that many ppl would have the problem...
I'll tell you more about it next week.
Old 11 March 2006, 18:54   #8
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
IMHO it would be much easier to add "new" MMU API via UAE callbacks (or similar) instead of emulating MMU with complex features that are never really needed. (like address mapping, instruction restarting due to bus errors, different supervisor/non-supervisor mappings, correct bus error stack frames etc..)
All the stuff you mentionned would not be needed I think.

Quote:
I guess WHDLoad mainly needs information when/if address x or address range is accessed? (read or write access, even custom chip DMA accesses can be trapped if needed)
Exactly! The SNOOP option allows checking/logging of DMA registers.

Quote:
This kind of "MMU emulation" would be really easy to implement (already implemented for build-in debugger)
Ok, then please do it! . For me it would be the final improvement to this awesome piece of software.

Quote:
Note that JIT always makes all kinds of "MMU emulation" methods unreliable.
ok, then maybe MMU and JIT should be mutually exclusive (and dynamically changeable, just like JIT is now)

I've got other recurrent (minor) problems with all the versions of WinUAE versions, but I'll describe them in another post. Enough work for now.