English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 02 September 2019, 19:05   #41
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaura View Post
Best to choose internal on OS3 and OS4. For MorphOS, external may be better so that PPC datatypes can be used, which was also the case for IBrowse 2.4 on OS4 (not needed for 2.5 as the internal decoders are image decoders and as fast as WarpDTs).
I was thinking of your WarpOS WarpDT datatypes
Old 02 September 2019, 19:46   #42
nogginthenog
Amigan

Is it possible to use something a proxy (NGINX would be good) to offload the HTTPS SSL stuff to a Linux box? Or maybe 'downgrade' SSL to something IBrowse can handle better?
Old 02 September 2019, 21:39   #43
Futaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
I was thinking of your WarpOS WarpDT datatypes
Ooops - yes, that is a good point . These will certainly be faster for larger images, although for small images the datatypes system overhead may outweigh the use of WarpOS. You lose incremental image display with datatypes and IBrowse's FS dithering on 8-bit displays.
Old 03 September 2019, 21:14   #44
gdonner
Ancient Amiga User

Mentioned this elsewhere, but for me, available RAM seems to make a notable difference.

My A4000 (50MHz '060) with the standard motherboard RAM (2MB Chip/16MB Fast) was very slow (3.1.4.1); but my A3000 (25MHz '040) with 2MB Chip/6MB Fast--and the 256MB BigRamPlus--was significantly faster.

Both are running 3.1.4.1, the 4000 has a PicassoIV (ZZ9000 en route and the 3000 has a CyberVision 64/3D; both using P96.

(Need to order another BigRamPlus for my A4000, but they're out of stock as of this writing.)

FWIW, unless the article hasn't been updated, even Google's Chrome doesn't use TLS 1.3 by default (link below from Wikipedia's TLS 1.3 entry):

"Google Chrome set TLS 1.3 as the default version for a short time in 2017. It then removed it as the default, due to incompatible middleboxes such as Blue Coat web proxies.[27]"

It's also worth noting that even high-end PCs are choking on various websites because of all the obnoxious ads, deluge of Javascript on load, etc. Sheer volume of Javascript alone is one of the biggest ongoing headaches for Firefox...

Last edited by gdonner; 03 September 2019 at 21:21.
Old 03 September 2019, 22:18   #45
Englyst

I just received my IBrowse 2.5 key as an upgrade and it seems to work very well. Thanks to the IBrowse team for getting this out.

Posting from it now on my A2000 for the first time. Yay!
Old 03 September 2019, 23:11   #46
bubbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
Is it possible to use something a proxy (NGINX would be good) to offload the HTTPS SSL stuff to a Linux box? Or maybe 'downgrade' SSL to something IBrowse can handle better?
That’s exactly what sslstrip does.
Old 04 September 2019, 00:32   #47
Futaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post
That?s exactly what sslstrip does.
How up to date is sslstrip? Can it handle connections with the latest ciphers? If not, that could be the reason, as many of the old ciphers were deprecated in OpenSSL 1.1.x. Anyway, I'm going to try to find a public proxy to test with.
Old 04 September 2019, 11:28   #48
daxb

https://moxie.org/software/sslstrip/ is from 2011. I guess it doesn't work this way.
Old 04 September 2019, 21:34   #49
Futaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
https://moxie.org/software/sslstrip/ is from 2011. I guess it doesn't work this way.
I have identified a possible bug in the HTTPS proxy code in IBrowse - I think the wrong hostname is getting put in the TLS SNI field (new for IB2.5) when a proxy is enabled in the settings.
Old 04 September 2019, 23:39   #50
tygre
Returning fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbob_gb View Post
IBrowse 2.5, PPC native & license keys available again. Its been a good couple of days for Amiga development.
Thank you Stefan and Oliver and all involved in IBrowse v2.5 for your hard work!

Such an good news!!!

Cheers!
Old 05 September 2019, 00:25   #51
vulture

Don't mind me, I just wanted to post something from my A1200 and IB 2.5 :P
Old 05 September 2019, 06:39   #52
bubbob42

Quote:
I have identified a possible bug in the HTTPS proxy code in IBrowse - I think the wrong hostname is getting put in the TLS SNI field (new for IB2.5) when a proxy is enabled in the settings.
Cool, thank you for your efforts!

Can we expect a quick update? I don’t want to push and normally wouldn’t ask, but I may feel a certain anxiety after 13 years.
Old 05 September 2019, 22:53   #53
Futaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post
Cool, thank you for your efforts!

Can we expect a quick update? I don?t want to push and normally wouldn?t ask, but I may feel a certain anxiety after 13 years.
Hehe - things will be a little different now .

Regarding sslstrip, what errors are you getting in IBrowse, if any? I still think you are going to have a problem. IBrowse will initially want to connect to your proxy via HTTPS and for that to happen your proxy server must be able to handle connections using a modern cipher from AmiSSL 4.3's suite (OpenSSL 1.1.1a). You can see these on IBrowse's Cipher settings page.

I have installed WinGate for testing and IBrowse 2.5, before the SNI fix, was able to successfully connect to https://www.google.co.uk/ without any trouble via the HTTPS proxy. Other sites tend to give a "421 Misdirected Request" error.
Old 06 September 2019, 19:40   #54
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
It now works with TLS1.3, which is a huge change for all those websites we couldn't access before (that were getting more and more frequent).

There must be some rendering changes too, because Google now looks better in IBrowse than in the latest Firefox on my Linux PC!
Typically I stay away from Google and use DuckDuckGo.com because I don't care for tracking and more ads in my browsing. That being typed, I will admit I was curious if Google would at least show correctly now. Indeed! HMM!! TLS1.3...
Old 06 September 2019, 20:32   #55
Futaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
Typically I stay away from Google and use DuckDuckGo.com because I don't care for tracking and more ads in my browsing. That being typed, I will admit I was curious if Google would at least show correctly now. Indeed! HMM!! TLS1.3...
Well, nothing really changed in the HTML engine for this to happen (well, IB2.5 does now support #xxx colours as well as the more normal #xxxxxx, which does get rid of the yellow background as google set the background colour as #fff). Google has multiple front-ends and it has been the case for many years that spoofing as MSIE 5 is the best one for IBrowse (I added this in the default settings as a URL prefs entry for 2.5).
Old 07 September 2019, 03:03   #56
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
IB2.5 does now support #xxx colours as well as the more normal #xxxxxx, which does get rid of the yellow background as google set the background colour as #fff
So something did change in the HTML engine for this to happen

It may seem like an insignificant change, but that bright yellow background was very annoying. Google looks much better with the correct white background.

Meanwhile, Firefox in Linux thinks that everything should be white except for the Google logo. At least it doesn't do it on my XP machine, that just has subtly blurry text since I upgraded to 52.9.0 (last version that works in Xp). I hate PCs!
Old 08 September 2019, 14:14   #57
number6

@thread

Interview with Oliver Roberts

Old 11 September 2019, 15:43   #58
Mathesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila06 View Post
68060 60Mhz with Fpu and Mmu.
just réinstalled Ibrowse 2.4 works well.....
Did you ever get it working?
I have the same error on a 68LC060 (no FPU). I am using the 68020 version of iBrowse 2.5.

I think it is not related to iBrowse itself but rather the new AmiSSL libraries. It even crashes with this error if I click on the security/ciphers tab in the settings screen. First the HD led stays on (as if the AmiSSL library is scanning) and then I get the error. Like you, I find that iBrowse 2.4 works fine but that version doesn't use the new AmiSSL libraries....
I will try to do some experiments tonight.
Old 11 September 2019, 19:50   #59
nogginthenog
Amigan

Does anyone know how to compile AmiSSL? I know it uses GCC but I didn't get far with Bebbo's port. It might be nice to try to compile a 68060 version (a no-FPU version could be possible too).
Old 12 September 2019, 00:20   #60
Futaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
Does anyone know how to compile AmiSSL? I know it uses GCC but I didn't get far with Bebbo's port. It might be nice to try to compile a 68060 version (a no-FPU version could be possible too).
It would be best to ask Jens about this - he cross compiles AmiSSL on a Linux box. It needs a special compiler for 68k to handle the baserel stuff. I can only build the OS4 version on my A1XE.