English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 02 October 2018, 17:14   #21
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I assume you meant "SYS:C/#?" If not that is a terrible idea. All files on SYS: are obviously not executable.
Of course they are not. No one in their right mind will execute an amigaguide.

You need to understand that some systems, despite all warnings, are created in non amiga friendly enviroments where they are literally stripped of all protection bits. It has happened to many users, just too many times to ignore it.

Restoring them by hand, one by one is a tedious process that no one will ever do. The only way to ensure that the machine will boot again under those circumstances is by doing what that ugly line does.

It is not nice I agree, but it gets the job done.
Old 02 October 2018, 20:27   #22
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgovotsos View Post
If we have the WarpDT datatypes, should we continue to use them or are these better? By WarpDT I mean the ones available for purchase at https://www.warpdt.co.uk
I would keep using them all, with the exception of the jfif/jpg one.
The one included in BestWB is faster and newer.
Old 07 October 2018, 00:15   #23
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsj View Post
Are any of the contained tools customised somehow, or otherwise newer than the versions on Aminet? I like a lot of the choices you've made here, but I prefer to install things by hand
I'm with you on this. But seems there might be some stuff I've not know of. I collected almost all the cool stuff through the years. I love being a Power User. I might have a look at the package just because I've also made my own packages, but sometimes it's fun to see what others have created, too.
Old 07 October 2018, 00:18   #24
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Of course they are not. No one in their right mind will execute an amigaguide.
HEY!! I've never been a right mind, maybe that's why alllllll these years I've been attempting to run AmigaGuide files all by themselves without success once in a while?

HAHA!

Quote:
I would keep using them all, with the exception of the jfif/jpg one.
The one included in BestWB is faster and newer.
I figured that one. No way am I doing without my WarpDT's. Hmmm!! Except the jfif/jpg one, you mean that WarpDT is included but as the newest version or do you mean made by someone else?
Old 07 October 2018, 01:26   #25
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
I'm with you on this. But seems there might be some stuff I've not know of. I collected almost all the cool stuff through the years. I love being a Power User. I might have a look at the package just because I've also made my own packages, but sometimes it's fun to see what others have created, too.
I do exactly the same thing
Old 07 October 2018, 01:29   #26
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
I figured that one. No way am I doing without my WarpDT's. Hmmm!! Except the jfif/jpg one, you mean that WarpDT is included but as the newest version or do you mean made by someone else?
If you have 020+ I use this one:
http://aminet.net/util/dtype/JFIFdt44.lha

PS: BTW, I have registered WarpDatatypes a long time ago.
Old 08 October 2018, 11:03   #27
kolla
Banned

Quote:
No one in their right mind will execute an amigaguide.
Those of us with $VIEWER set to f.ex. Multiview do that all the time, and it only works when execution flag is not set.
Old 08 October 2018, 12:20   #28
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
Those of us with $VIEWER set to f.ex. Multiview do that all the time, and it only works when execution flag is not set.
If you already have a customized amiga system, then you should not be installing BestWB.
Old 08 October 2018, 12:57   #29
kolla
Banned

Setting one shell variable does not count as customising the OS, it's a matter of using a feature of the OS. A feature that your sledgehammer of a command slams to pieces. Were you even aware? May there be more files for which setting executable flag may change behaviour of OS? Have you consulted this with the developers? If BestWB is meant to be installed on a fresh 3.1.4, don't you then know already what flags should be set on each individual file? Why not set them accordingly?
Old 08 October 2018, 13:40   #30
gulliver
BoingBagged

I have already explained why.

It is okay that you dont agree. You dont need to.
Old 08 October 2018, 21:37   #31
Hercules
Vodka monster.

Quote:
Which is utterly wrong, and changes functionality... don't believe me? Ask ThoR.
I can only see the point of the BestWB installer using the protect command marking all files as executables if your copying files from a NTFS volume (which doesnt know about Amiga files that contain Amiga protection bits) to real Amiga disks. Ive always installed files to a CF card or HDF volume so for me I remove that line from the installer.
Old 08 October 2018, 21:54   #32
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Not a single screenshot as what it looks like when installed on this topic or web page.
Old 08 October 2018, 22:05   #33
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Not a single screenshot as what it looks like when installed on this topic or web page.
It looks a lot like a default Workbench 3.1.4 install. ;-)

Most of what Best added is support tools.
No docks, backgrounds, etc...
Old 15 October 2018, 02:11   #34
Dynamic_Computi
10MARC

I really like this suite of tools and add-ons to Amiga OS 3.1.4 - It is a nice selection of useful items. I cover this a bit in my latest 10 Minute Amiga Retro Cast, but I will be digging deeper into it! (As soon as I read through all those Amiga Guides that come with it!)
Old 15 October 2018, 03:36   #35
gulliver
BoingBagged

@Dynamic_Computing
If you need help just let me know.

BTW, I will probably build an update in the near future. There are 3 bugs I want to address and a feature I want to add.
Old 11 November 2018, 13:17   #36
bitter

Gulliver, thank you for putting this together, it's a fantastic set, especially for someone like me that has been out of the Amiga scene for a while.

I would like to second or third the sentiment though that changing the exec flag on all files is a bit heavy-handed. I've modified the script for myself to only do it in certain directories, so you don't have to set around individual files. Maybe you can do that as a compromise?

Looking forward to the updates!

NOTE: One item that didn't work for me - MagicMenuprefs, asks for WBRun, which I can't anywhere. Just copied version from Aminet download and it works fine.
Old 12 November 2018, 07:33   #37
Nostromo

Is there anything on BestWB that will allow me to unzip many files at once without having to use shell?
Old 12 November 2018, 09:55   #38
AMIGASYSTEM

About the LHA you can do it with Dopus4, just highlight the archive and then click on the second window, you can automatically unpack the LHA archives with the Tab "Arc Ext".

About the LZX, ZIP and RAR they have not been configured on Dopus4 but you can do it.

If you use WinUAE you do not need to do anything, just drag the files (LHA, LZX, ZIP, RAR) on the Workbench and you will have the archive already unpacked
Old 13 November 2018, 13:44   #39
kolla
Banned

Quote:
You need to understand that some systems, despite all warnings, are created in non amiga friendly enviroments where they are literally stripped of all protection bits.
So the "issue" here is that you are using zip files to pack BestWB, and not something "native", like lha.
Old 13 November 2018, 18:15   #40
cyberhead97

Quote:
So the "issue" here is that you are using zip files to pack BestWB, and not something "native", like lha.
I have created a script to patch Windows zip files to appear as if they where created natively on an Amiga to solve extract issues on Amiga OS. It adds protection bits/flags and changes paths \ to /.

I use it to create packages for HstWB Installer. It’s currently written in Powershell, but can easily be converted to Python for cross platform usage.