English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 04 November 2019, 13:58   #1
Numbnuts

Ello From 'Ull!

Hi All,

My name is Sean, I'm 57 years old and live from Hull, (Or as we say it up here.... 'Ull!) UK!

I have always loved computer games from way back in the arcade days and owned all computer and consoles below....

Binatone TV Master
Atari 2600
Philips G7000 Videopac
ZX Spectrum
Amstrad CPC 464
Super Nintendo
Sega Master System
Sega Mega Drive
Sega Game Gear
Amiga 500+
PS1
N64
Amiga 600
Amiga 1200
PC (Dos, 98SE, XP, Win7, Win8)
XBox
PS2
X-Box 360
Wii
PS3

No PS4 or Xbox 1 simply because I am going through a phase of classic retro games and the newer consoles do not seem to interest me like the golden oldies. (Maybe my age eh?)

To me its not about the graphics... its about the fun/gameplay and I think that is where some of the younger (And older generation go wrong!) Even my 11 year old Granddaughter loves the retro gaming too and says she prefers it to newer games and consoles.

My personal favs are obviously some retro arcade games... Deluxe Galaga, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, Phoenix, Frogger, Tron but Mr. Do! is my go too one for a couple of quick games! But there are tons of others I love too, far too many to list here..

Then the old Amstrad CPC 464, what a machine that was! I had 1000's of games for that but the annoying thing about it was the loading times and once the game had loaded you kept your fingers crossed hoping it wasn't going to crash and go back to the front end loading home screen again! Fav games on here to name but a few where Dizzy (All the series), Rick Dangerous, Pick 'N Pile, Puzznic, Deathstalker & Pipe Mania!

Then came the computer to beat all others.. The Amiga! My Dad bought an Amiga 500+ and I used it more then him so he gave it to me and I hammered the crap out of it playing all games day and night! Then I bought an Amiga 600 and not long after I bought a Amiga 1200 when that came out with a Memory Expansion and 120MEG Hard Drive!

Again I had 1000's of games bought and copied (Thanks to the car boot sales back in the day!). I must stress though, I did always buy the proper game if the pirated one was fun though, it cost me a bloody fortune! But great times where had with games like Alien Breed, Chaos Engine, Sensible Soccer, Pinball Fantasies, Desert Strike, F1, Lotus Espite Challenge, Kickboxer, Body Blows, Project X and again another I could never put down once I started playing.... Superfrog!

So much fun had and so many memories... great times.

Unfortunately I had to sell all my computers and games above a few years back as my partner had a rare aggressive cancer and we needed major house renovations and needed the space and money quickly to store the all the equipment we needed!

Luckily there are emulators out there but while they are great, I have to admit, nothing matches the sound of a tape/drive loading, the weight and smell of an Amstrad plus Green Screen & TV Modulator and of course my Amiga's! (It sounds like I am in love! LOL )

Anyway, I think I have waffled enough now to introduce myself to you all.
Over the coming weeks I will check out more of this interesting forum which I have come across.

Catch ya all soon

Sean aka Numbnuts (My Gaming Name )
Old 04 November 2019, 14:19   #2
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Hi Numbnuts, welcome to EAB.

That is impressive list of consoles/computers you have/had. Some (if not all) of us here collect old hardware and some still use original hardware on daily bases.

As for new consoles, I actually like how playable are some new games, for example Forza Horizon 4 - very easy to get into it, open world concept with races, change of weather, ability to collect cars.. etc. Something we could not do / have in old days.

Also to mention load of retro looking games made for new hardware / PC, for example unEpic, Starbound, Terraria, ... and remakes, like SuperFrogHD, Wings, Speedball...
Old 04 November 2019, 17:43   #3
Devlin
Bane of Magic

Hi there from Yorkshire! I'm sorry you have to live in Hull on Earth

Impressive collection you have there

Welcome to EAB. I hope you find the site as useful as I have.
Old 05 November 2019, 09:35   #4
Numbnuts

Hi

Thanks for the welcome Anubis & Devlin.

As for the newer consoles... the last latest game/s (Well a few years ago now) I played was GTA V on the PS3 (An awesome game and still very playable even when completed) and Assassins Creed (My personal fav is Black Flag. Again even though I completed it, it is still very playable to go back to sailing the high seas!)

I'm sure I will enjoy reading the posts too as what I have read so far is interesting and entertaining and also brings back memories!

Thanks again, catch ya out in the land of Amiga again

Sean aka Numbnuts
Old 05 November 2019, 10:42   #5
chip

Welcome to the forum
Old 05 November 2019, 15:26   #6
lesta_smsc

Welcome to the forum always nice to have new people joining in.

"To me its not about the graphics... its about the fun/gameplay..." - I definitely agree, gameplay is key because the graphics alone does not entice me to continue playing a game.
Old 05 November 2019, 18:31   #7
BippyM
Global Moderator

Welcome, make yourself at home and get active

Need anything just give us a shout
Old 06 November 2019, 00:24   #8
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlin View Post
Hi there from Yorkshire! I'm sorry you have to live in Hull on Earth
It's gotta be better than Scunny
Old 06 November 2019, 03:00   #9
Devlin
Bane of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
It's gotta be better than Scunny
Would rather live there than Hull, I know my way around Scunny at least
Old 06 November 2019, 10:19   #10
Dunny

I was born in Hull - Hedon Road hospital (as was). Most of my family are on the coast of East Riding - those that are left. Only moved to Scunny for love, and I'm still not sure it was a great idea
Old 06 November 2019, 13:32   #11
Numbnuts

Hi All again,

Thanks Chip, lesta_smsc, BippyM, Dunny & Devlin.

I wasn't born in 'Ull.... I was born in London, I'm a Cockney if that is any better? LMAO I moved up here when I was four!

Catch ya all soon

Sean aka Numbnuts

I must admit, Hull isn't as bad as it says on the news, it has its ups and downs like any other town but for some reason Hull just gets bad press!
Old 06 November 2019, 14:42   #12
Dunny

City of Culture 2017!

But they didn't mention that the culture in Hull is generally found on sandwiches past their best before date
Old 06 November 2019, 15:04   #13
Gordon
Settler

I heard you can sail from Hull to Holland and get cheap diamonds!
Old 06 November 2019, 15:10   #14
Numbnuts

Funny Dunny! LOL

Actually the City Of Culture stuff was quite good and brought a lot to the city. Unfortunately the Spice Zombie's followed hoping to get a piece of the action.

The next City Of Culture is in 2021 and is Coventry.... Maybe the Spice Zombies can work their way down there after they have draining us and life can slowly start to get back to normal!

Gordon - Probably so but they will be made of plastic! LMAO

Sean aka Numbnuts
Old 06 November 2019, 22:35   #15
BippyM
Global Moderator

I was in Scunthorpe last week to repair an oven.. The word "shithole" popped into my head
Old 07 November 2019, 01:32   #16
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post
I was in Scunthorpe last week to repair an oven.. The word "shithole" popped into my head
If Hull is the armpit of England, then I suppose Scunny is ideally situated to take the role of asshole...
Old 07 November 2019, 13:52   #17
Numbnuts

You two are a bundle of fun ain't ya? LMAO
Old 07 November 2019, 16:03   #18
Devlin
Bane of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
If Hull is the armpit of England, then I suppose Scunny is ideally situated to take the role of asshole...
Have you been to Bradford?