English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 11 April 2004, 16:50   #61
Bloodwych

Woops, messed up the upload I see. I'll do it again soon.

Enverex, we're talking old school PC midi format here - good for certain tunes and music in games such as RPGs, but overall not too good. As we discussed in Fred's DOS games thread, even with more channels it's Rarely as good as the Amiga and its custom samples. PC music never got decent until it cheated by streaming off CD or churning out mp3s.

This is about as good as midi gets in old school games. You should here the aweful beeping crap that comes out of an original sb16....................
Old 11 April 2004, 16:53   #62
Bloodwych

Oh yeah, I too remember playing around with the backgrounds. Much easier on the eyes. Just went back and tried the original Amiga Frontier. As we mentioned, much better.
Old 11 April 2004, 17:02   #63
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

I'm trying to deal with the fighting on FFE. It's impossible (at least with the stock craft) at least on Frontier you had a chance. Normally within a second, normally less, your craft is destroyed now, it's silly.

I don't know what it is, but the graphics don't seem as good as the Amiga version, despite it being textured, it just seems a mess.

I'm trying to play it as the new features are interesting, but I will probably end up going back to Frontier on my Amiga.
Old 11 April 2004, 17:14   #64
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloodwych
Woops, messed up the upload I see. I'll do it again soon.

Enverex, we're talking old school PC midi format here - good for certain tunes and music in games such as RPGs, but overall not too good. As we discussed in Fred's DOS games thread, even with more channels it's Rarely as good as the Amiga and its custom samples. PC music never got decent until it cheated by streaming off CD or churning out mp3s.

This is about as good as midi gets in old school games. You should here the aweful beeping crap that comes out of an original sb16....................
I know all about midi games and music, but what I mean is it sounds completely wrong...
Old 11 April 2004, 17:51   #65
Djay
95th User

@Enverex - forgot to ask are you playing the miggy version or pc?
Old 11 April 2004, 18:06   #66
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Amiga Frontier, PC FFE.

Right, I just went to take off from a space port and got told I can't leave yet as I have *large* outstanding fines. So I check the board and I have a TWELVE credit fine for no reason at all. Nothing on my Interpol record. So where the hell did it come from? (This is on FFE).

The fighting is STUPIDlY difficult on FFE though, it's just taken any of the fun away from it.
Old 11 April 2004, 21:34   #67
Bloodwych

Like I said I played the DOS version and had only a few issues when completing it. Most my problems were related to the hard coded missions which is why save games or restore points are vital.

The windows version might still be even more bug ridden than the original. The earlier release certainly was.
Old 11 April 2004, 21:37   #68
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

The windows version IS the DOS version, just using Direct3D to render it instead.
Old 11 April 2004, 21:59   #69
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally posted by Enverex
The windows version IS the DOS version, just using Direct3D to render it instead.
Yes, but the person who built the Win32 version did so by providing a new executable that replaces the old DOS one. Check out the version history.

I've placed a complete Win32 package in the zone for those who wish to play FFE. I couldn't be bothered to change the background bmp file to blue, so if it bothers any of feel free to change it.
Old 11 April 2004, 22:46   #70
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Any idea where I could get one that includes the videos? It looks empty without the people.
Old 11 April 2004, 23:16   #71
Bloodwych

I've always wondered what the CD version was like - I bet the voices are really cheesy!

Just noticed on the Win32 version history page, collision detection was mentioned. Perhaps it's still not good enverex I don't remember having that problem in DOS, but it was over six years ago since I played it seriously.
Old 11 April 2004, 23:24   #72
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

I mentioned earlier in IRC. When I speed up time in a station, I keep hearing landing gear and explosions all the time. No idea whats happening but I saw a few craft crash in to a planet (when I was out of orbit).
Old 12 April 2004, 00:27   #73
Djay
95th User

i have the cd version, which does not work on XP

but i can view the vids and listen to the soundbytes... wicked
Old 12 April 2004, 13:10   #74
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

All I need is the DATA folder off the CD that contains the videos, as you need that folder in your game folder for the people to appear.
Old 12 April 2004, 20:05   #75
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally posted by Enverex
All I need is the DATA folder off the CD that contains the videos, as you need that folder in your game folder for the people to appear.
drop me a pm
Old 12 April 2004, 21:29   #76
Steve C

You may be interested in a file I've had kicking around for some time. It's a guide to the first few hours of FFE, which gets you thru' a couple of the hand-coded missions, buys you an Asp explorer, and a few hundred thousand credits to get you going.

It's not a cheat or hack, but it makes maximum use of saved games, showing how the random nature of leaving hyperspace can be exploited to minimise travelling time.

If it doesn't do anything else, it'll give you a good idea of how to play the game. It's in WORD format - Should I put it in the Zone?

Steve.
Old 12 April 2004, 21:38   #77
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

If you want....
Old 12 April 2004, 21:45   #78
Steve C

Zoned.........
Old 14 April 2004, 23:45   #79
Djay
95th User

i've got the original CD and put the Data/Fx and Music folder in the main folder..... it all works!!!
Old 14 April 2004, 23:47   #80
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Told you...