Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
[...] Black Crypt [...] Bloodwych [...]
Oh yes, these two are also cool.
Old 23 May 2019, 12:12   #22
d4rk3lf

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Started to play Dungeon Master (at one point, I'll make a list here of all games mentioned, and will try to decide (with your help), what to play next).

First impressions of DM:
So far it's great, and I've played around 2, 2.5 hours. The only thing that bothered me is finding a white key at white floor (lost about 40 minutes on that ), however, the second white key I noticed right away. I really like the graphics, and somehow playing without music (just sound fx), has it's own mysterious atmosphere. I am amazed how good they did torch effect, and I really like the idea of constantly swapping torches in order to see good.

Haven't figured out the spell (scroll) system yet (even I quickly read the manual). I have a couple of scrolls, and some of them are just hints (I think), but the one scroll (magic torch), I can't figure out how can I see what runes I can use. Tried placing it in a hand (of both wizard and priest), but I can only see description of the scroll, not runes.

Here's my heroes:
- Halk The Barbarian (Journeyman Fighter)
- Leyla Shadowseek (Journeyman Ninja)
- Mophus The Healer (Journeyman Priest)
- Gothmog (Journeyman Wizard)

I am still unsure should I place Leyla or Mophus, besides Halk the barbarian. So far is Layla, and she is fighting with sword, but I might switch them, if I figure out that the Mophus is better at close combat.

Cheers to all.
Old 23 May 2019, 14:16   #23
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Haven't figured out the spell (scroll) system yet (even I quickly read the manual). I have a couple of scrolls, and some of them are just hints (I think), but the one scroll (magic torch), I can't figure out how can I see what runes I can use. Tried placing it in a hand (of both wizard and priest), but I can only see description of the scroll, not runes.
Spell system is exact same as DM2, they even use the same set of runes. Many spells also work in both games.
But DM2 tells you symbols from objects, where DM1 tells you names from scrolls (which by themselves have no power, they just provide information).
Old 23 May 2019, 14:25   #24
d4rk3lf

Yeah, but I finished DM2 almost 20 years a go, and my memory is a little bit shady.

I know I get information from scrolls, I just can't figure where is that information? When I place a scroll in my hand, I only see description of the scroll, not the runes that I should try (same if I hold scroll on top of the eye).

I haven't tried hard yet, so I probably missed something, so I think I'll figure it out... if someone remembers what I am missing, it can tell, it's not really spoil or cheating.
Old 23 May 2019, 14:28   #25
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
I know I get information from scrolls, I just can't figure where is that information? When I place a scroll in my hand, I only see description of the scroll, not the runes that I should try (same if I hold scroll on top of the eye).
What you see is the information...
Old 23 May 2019, 14:33   #26
d4rk3lf

Oh... so it's a riddle on it's own?
Cool

This is what I need to solve now (or next time I play).
Old 23 May 2019, 14:40   #27
meynaf
son of 68k

There is no riddle
"FUL" is name of the rune you have to use for the magic torch spell.

First symbol is power, choose leftmost one to start (the one looking like "<<").
Second symbol is that one, appears in 4th position (symbol for fire).
Old 23 May 2019, 14:58   #28
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
First impressions of DM:
So far it's great, and I've played around 2, 2.5 hours. The only thing that bothered me is finding a white key at white floor (lost about 40 minutes on that ),
I kid you not. I was stuck for days finding a dark grey key lying somewhere on a grey floor. I thought I was going mad missing an alcove or a monster somewhere. I must have run past the key dozens of times before I noticed a slight deviation in pixels on the floor.
Old 25 May 2019, 09:52   #29
guest.r

I would advise to become an AD&D fan.

Lots of games with nice tactical combat available.

To name the most:

- Krynn series,
- Savage frontier series,
- Pools series etc.

Imo the more popular EoB can't properly use the combat system/spells in the full AD&D glory.
Old 25 May 2019, 12:26   #30
McTrinsic

So far there was no one who mentioned Ultima IV.

Intric8 from AmigaLove played it somewhat recently and it left a lasting impression. It is still one of the highest ranked RPGs at the rpgaddict.

I still love it. That’s whyI would highly recommend it.
Old 25 May 2019, 17:01   #31
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Oh... so it's a riddle on it's own?
Cool

This is what I need to solve now (or next time I play).
Some time ago i do some spell quick reference. Few spells ale missing, but you should get idea of spells.

Old 25 May 2019, 17:47   #32
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Looks really nice, should be added to the HOL page.
Old 26 May 2019, 11:26   #33
d4rk3lf

@Solo Kazuki
Wow, that's great. Thanks a lot.
I agree with Gimbal, it should be in HOL page.

However, would it be cheating using spells I haven't discover so far? I think so. So I'll just crop in Photoshop (or Deluxe Paint ) the upper part of your image, and only use the names of the spells.
--------------

The game:
Haven't got much time playing, but all is very well so far (maybe because I am at the second level (the one with lots of separate rooms)) ).
My powerful mage Gothmog have no troubles casting magic torchlight (), and the Mophus the healer produced the first stamina potion. My ninja girl Layla is constantly getting fighter levels, and she becomes pretty good in close combat (along with a mighty Hulk).
I keep them fed, not thirsty, rested, and still have a tons of food in my storage.

What (long distance) weapon do you recommend for my healer? I figured out, that the more you use some weapon, the more you get that skill. Should I use knifes, or shurikens, or arrows? Same goes for wizard (though, I guess, at some point he will switch to only magic casting)?
Also, how can I see the damage of the specific weapon? Is it possible? So far, for my fighters have only clubs and the swords, and it's obvious what I use, but once I get some other swords, how can I decide witch one to use? Same question for the throwing weapons.

Cheers.
Old 26 July 2019, 22:23   #34
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
[...] more than a year and a half before Doom, "Ultima Underworld" already allowed you to move in the same way (and the game was much more interesting : dramatisation, character presentation, introduction, riddles, etc.). [...]
Following the above post on another thread, I searched for info about "Ultima Underworld" (and for the game itself as I am a bit lazy to go to the cellar to get the box )
If you never tried it d4rk3lf, you should give it a go
I think the only mistake in the following summary is the release date. According to the informations found on the net today, "Ultima Underworld" was released two month before Wolf3D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPcGaming
System Requirements: 80386SX 25 MHz, 2 MB RAM, DOS 4.0

Origin’s tour de force, the most influential RPG since Dungeon Master, turned the RPG field on its head when it was originally released in 1992 and, along with its more impressive sequel, continued to be the bane of rival RPG developers well into the mid 1990s.

It’s a single character, first-person perspective dungeon crawler, using a 3D engine that was nothing short of revolutionary at the time. We must remember that this game came out mere months after Wolf3D, and compared to id’s graphics, Underworld’s scrolling engine looks like Wolfenstein on steroids. Supporting more detail, which includes textured surfaces, atmospheric lighting and higher color depth. Plus you get realistic movement in all directions and the ability to look up and down – you can even fly with the right spell.

What’s more, all this is achieved with an intuitive interface that’s incredibly simple to use. But the game is far from just a technical marvel – it combines superb atmosphere with a realistic, self-contained world complete with a captivating story. Combine all this with the huge levels, deadly monsters, clever puzzles, nasty traps and unique characters, and you’ve got one of the best RPGs ever, second only to its amazing sequel.
Old 27 July 2019, 00:00   #35
aszu

i will vote for Ishar II and EOTB II. Ishar is easier IMHO
Old 28 July 2019, 11:26   #36
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Following the above post on another thread, I searched for info about "Ultima Underworld" (and for the game itself as I am a bit lazy to go to the cellar to get the box )
If you never tried it d4rk3lf, you should give it a go [/I]
I completely agree with you mate.
Never played it, but from what I saw on youtube, I liked that graphics much more then graphics on doom, not to mention Wolf3D.
I really like that soft looking feel the game have.

Will definitely play it, after I finish some other rpg's, because I've heard that the game itself is also good.
Old 28 July 2019, 21:47   #37
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I liked Ultima Underworld back in the day but I can't really get myself to play it again. The controls are just too tanky and the game viewing area is so small...

If you want to play an Ultima game then Ultima 7 comes highly recommended.
Old 28 July 2019, 22:29   #38
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

I would say view is normal considering the RPG style game (on-screen informations + the actions that can be performed).

Ultima VII is cool, yes. Also don't forger that there was 2 games with their extensions
7.1 : Black Gate (+ extension : Forge of Virtue)
7.2 : Serpent Isle (+ extension : The Silver Seed)

Not sure but I think, later, each game included the extension (?)
Old 29 July 2019, 09:39   #39
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
However, would it be cheating using spells I haven't discover so far? I think so. So I'll just crop in Photoshop (or Deluxe Paint ) the upper part of your image, and only use the names of the spells.
Some of spells are not on scrolls in game, that's why some are missing. E.g. AFAIR there's no recipe for Ven Potion.

Quote:
What (long distance) weapon do you recommend for my healer? I figured out, that the more you use some weapon, the more you get that skill. Should I use knifes, or shurikens, or arrows? Same goes for wizard (though, I guess, at some point he will switch to only magic casting)?
There's no need for "switching", remember that mana quantity is limited and there is no need for free hand to cast spells. I have always throwing weapon in magic user hand just in case of out of mana.

Throwing and shooting is ninja skill, no matter what you throw or shoot.

Quote:
Also, how can I see the damage of the specific weapon? Is it possible? So far, for my fighters have only clubs and the swords, and it's obvious what I use, but once I get some other swords, how can I decide witch one to use? Same question for the throwing weapons.
You mean as item information? It's hidden as some skills and parameters (e.g. luck). Game system is more complex than it looks on first sight. You must observe what damage you does and base on this.

But if You want to be sure, here is list of item parameters on Dungeon Master Encyclopaedia page. But to fully understand these parameters You must read also this informations about statistics.
Old 29 July 2019, 16:28   #40
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Have you ever tried Japanese RPGs? It's a totally different experience and I find most of them very easy to finish if you have the time.

Of course there isn't any on Amiga, but you could try one of the Final Fantasy games or something.

I personally *love* the Shining Force series on the Sega systems.