English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL contributions

Old 27 January 2017, 14:13   #1
Master484

C64 conversion screens Zoned

I just uploaded to the Zone some C64 conversion DBS screenshots, for 40 games in total.

More will come later.

And 3 of the games (Savage, Ghouls n Ghosts, and Super Hang On) already have a C64 conversion shot in HOL, but those shots don't show the "real" title screen, which in the case of most C64 games is the loading screen picture, so I made new DBS shots for those games.
Old 06 February 2017, 05:16   #2
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Have added all conversion screenshots from C64ConvshotsPart2.zip. Have the screens from part 1 have been added? Could not find the archive in The Zone.
Old 06 February 2017, 09:05   #3
Master484

Great work.

I noticed only one small mistake: Navy Seals got the conversion screenshot from Navy Moves: http://hol.abime.net/948/conversionshot

---

Screens from Part 1 were added last year, and they were uploaded almost 12 months ago.

But, I do have more screenshots for you: Part 3 has been added to the Zone, about 40 new C64 conversion shots are waiting.
Old 06 February 2017, 17:22   #4
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Fixed mistake and screens from part 3 added. Great contribution!
Old 10 February 2017, 12:16   #5
Master484

More C64 shots uploaded: Part 4 is in the Zone.

Some info on few of the games:

Ninja Remix
http://hol.abime.net/982

HOL entry doesn't mention C64 under conversion hardware, but a game named Ninja Remix was surely released for the C64, so maybe this should be fixed.

Edit: Although I just noticed that the C64 Ninja Remix is an updated version of Last Ninja 2, while the Amiga version of Remix is actually based on the first Last Ninja game, so maybe it shouldn't be added after all, because the games are different for Amiga and C64, despite the same name. But both Lemon64 and LemonAmiga databases list the Amiga/C64 versions as being conversions, so maybe HOL should do this too?

---

Invasion
http://hol.abime.net/5319

This seems to be a conversion of the C64 game "Saucer Attack", which is included in the screenshots. I'm not sure if this Amiga conversion is official or not, but in any case I think the C64 version should be mentioned in the conversion section, despite the different game name, because it's almost 100% the same game.

---

And the Dylan Dog C64 screenshot is for this game in the series: http://hol.abime.net/460

Last edited by Master484; 10 February 2017 at 12:34. Reason: fixed ninja remix info
Old 10 February 2017, 14:14   #6
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master484 View Post
More C64 shots uploaded: Part 4 is in the Zone.
Awesome

I like looking through your C64 screenshots; brings back memories

Also found games that I'm missing from my WinUAE collection; going to now add the following:

... Dyter-07
... Human Killing Machine
... Kikstart II
... Last Duel: Inter Planet War 2012
... Star Trash
... The North Sea Inferno
... Time Scanner
... Zoom!
Old 10 February 2017, 17:59   #7
DamienD
Banned

Some more games I need to add to my collection after viewing your other C64 screenshot packs

... Butcher Hill
... Deflektor
... Dominator
... Fist Fighter
... H.A.T.E.: Hostile All Terrain Encounter
... Hydra
... Spaceball (Rainbow Arts)
... Superman: The Man Of Steel
... Winter Olympiad 88
... World Tour Golf

Many thanks Master484
Old 10 February 2017, 19:18   #8
Master484

Quote:
Many thanks Master484
You're welcome.

It's amazing how many Amiga games actually have a C64 version too. Even games like Test Drive, Lotus 1, Space Crusade and all the Elviras were released on the C64 as well.

And on the other hand C64 has many graphically epic and complex games that one would think would have also been released on the Amiga, but they're not. These include games like The Train, Dambusters, and Infiltrator. Espcially The Train could have been epic on the Amiga.

---

Winter Olympiad 88 is good fun, with some good music too for each event. I used to own this game back then, and played it a lot as a kid. I'll always remember the sound that comes from the boots of the ski jumper when he walks to the "doom ramp", hehe.

Games like these represent quality gaming of the "old Amiga" days, before the year 90 and the "Turrican period" arrived.

I hadn't actually seen the C64 version until now that I took the conversion screenshot, it's a very good effort on the C64 too; with even some animated backgrounds in the skiing level, that are missing from the Amiga version.

---

And the second level of Butcher Hill is worth a special mentioning, it's basically a free roaming 1st person shooter in a jungle, very ambitious and well done considering the age of the game, and even more impressive on the humble C64.
Old 13 February 2017, 05:58   #9
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Things noticed:

- There already exists a conversion screenshot for Black Lamp. But this does not look like the C64 version to me. Can this be the Amstrad or the Spectrum version?
- Two versions of Cabal exists for the C64?
- Screens for these games already exists, but guess you wanted them replaced because old ones did not had proper title screens:

Flying Shark, Last Ninja 2, Line of Fire, Mickey Mouse, Road Blasters, Side Arms, Wings of Fury.
Old 13 February 2017, 11:00   #10
Master484

Quote:
There already exists a conversion screenshot for Black Lamp. But this does not look like the C64 version to me. Can this be the Amstrad or the Spectrum version?
The other Black Lamp screenshot also seems to be from the C64, but it seems the color palette has been altered by emulator settings to look more bright and saturated. A few "wrong color" C64 screenshots like this exist in the HOL.

For my own screenshots I use the CCS64 emulator, with the palette adjusted to the same values as is used in all Lemon64 screenshots; in the past I have taken screenshots for Lemon, and they demand the "real C64" colors for all screens.

Quote:
Two versions of Cabal exists for the C64?
Only one version exists as far as I'm aware. But the old screenshot didn't show the score and energy graphics, which in this game are drawn to the "border areas" located above and below the actual 320*200 C64 screen area. Some games use special techniques to draw stuff to the borders, and these areas aren't shown in a standard 320*200 screenshot; this was the case for the old Cabal screenshot.

For all games like this I have manually adjusted the screenshot size to include all graphics. For some Amiga games too this had to be done, screenshots of "Blaster" is one example, as it partially draws the scores to the bottom border area.

Quote:
Screens for these games already exists, but guess you wanted them replaced because old ones did not had proper title screens:

Flying Shark, Last Ninja 2, Line of Fire, Mickey Mouse, Road Blasters, Side Arms, Wings of Fury.
That's right.

And thanks for adding all this stuff so quickly. I still have one set of C64 screens "in progress", and will upload it later this week. But I think that will be the last one.
Old 18 February 2017, 11:35   #11
Master484

More C64 screenshots, Part 5 uploaded to Zone. This is a bigger set than the previous ones, containing about 70 shots.

Some info:

Bridge 4.0 shot is for this game:
http://hol.abime.net/3123

And Laser Zone shot is for this:
http://hol.abime.net/3510

And Nightbreed shot is for the "Action game" version:
http://hol.abime.net/969

And Quedex shot is for Mindroll:
http://hol.abime.net/2488

And Gunship shot is for the older Gunship game:
http://hol.abime.net/2810

---

And about Judge Dredd, I don't know if any C64 version of this game has a real title screen. I tested two different cracks and a tape original, but all only had that "justice central" screen in the beginning, so I had to use it.

And again a few of the shots are replacements for games that already have a C64 conversion shot, but were missing the real title screen. And in one case (Thunder Blade) I simply took a better looking screenshot from the first level; whether or not the old shot should be replaced, I'll leave the choice to you.

---

I think this is the last set of C64 screenshots for now. There are still quite many games missing a C64 shot, but the 200 screens from these uploads improved the situation at least somewhat. Maybe sometimes in the future I'll go through all the remaining games too, but for now I'll call it a day.
Old 18 February 2017, 12:58   #12
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
And about Judge Dredd, I don't know if any C64 version of this game has a real title screen.
Check this version. It has pic converted from ZX version, so there's probably no original loader pic for C64 version.
Old 18 February 2017, 15:28   #13
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master484 View Post
More C64 screenshots, Part 5 uploaded to Zone. This is a bigger set than the previous ones, containing about 70 shots.
Cheers again Master484

More games I have a vague memory of playing on the C64 which I need to take a look at on the Amiga:

... Artura
... Dalek Attack
... DragonStrike
... Jaws
... Mindroll
... One On One (Electronic Arts)
... Operation Neptune
... POD
... Roller Coaster Rumbler
... Suburban Commando
... T-Bird
... The Neverending Story II
... Turn N' Burn
Old 19 February 2017, 20:07   #14
Master484

Quote:
Check this version. It has pic converted from ZX version, so there's probably no original loader pic for C64 version.
That is not the same C64 Judge Dredd game.

There are two Judge Dredd games for the C64: the first one was released in 1987 by Melbourne House, and the second one was published by Virgin in 1991. And only the 1991 Judge Dredd game was also released on the Amiga.

It's a very high quality C64 game, so the missing title screen somewhat puzzles me, but it's nothing to worry about, the conversion shot can be updated later if the title picture suddenly pops up somewhere.

Quote:
Cheers again Master484

More games I have a vague memory of playing on the C64 which I need to take a look at on the Amiga:

... Artura
... Dalek Attack
... DragonStrike
... Jaws
... Mindroll
... One On One (Electronic Arts)
... Operation Neptune
... POD
... Roller Coaster Rumbler
... Suburban Commando
... T-Bird
... The Neverending Story II
... Turn N' Burn
When I was a kid I owned Roller Coaster Rumbler on the Amiga, boxed and complete, but then foolishly sold it on the flea market. It was a relaxing and colorful 3D shooter and a good game without any doubt. Although back then I never managed to complete it. And also if I remember right it often crashed on a certain level, although not always.