English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 December 2021, 00:44   #1
mfny

Amiga 1200 soft boot issue.

Hello,

Am having an issue whereby soft booting (Ctl+Amiga+Amiga combo) my 1200 seems to be of a matter of luck since I updated to OS 3.2.

What is happening is that often (but not always) when doing a soft reboot I am presented with a solid red screen then .. nothing, the warm boot fails and the system is ether stuck in limbo at a red screen, or a red followed by black, or sometimes the red screen will be replace with an error of no signal from my TV... in any event the warm boot does not complete and I have to power cycle the system.

Should note that a hard boot via power on or power cycle has never failed, and that the system otherwise appears to be stable in operation when it is powered on.

Also of note is that I have a ACA 1221 fitted to my Amiga 1200 and am using the 3.2.1 rom via the maprom function of ACAtune and also that the mainboard of this 1200 has not had the timing fixes done.

So this could perhaps ether be an issue with the maprom function and/or timing issues ?

Last edited by mfny; 23 December 2021 at 01:10.
Old 23 December 2021, 09:20   #2
amigasith

Red screen during boot means Kickstart checksum error. My guess is that it's related to the MAPROM function. I also get a red screen of death during boot occasionally with my Furia when I use MAPROM.

It's probably a good idea to report this in icomp's support forum and see whether you get a response. Or do some search there first... Seems like somebody else reported a similar issue a while ago: https://forum.icomp.de/index.php?thr...3-1-red-screen

Edit: Hmm... Look at this statement in icomp's wiki here:

startup behaviour

The ACA1221 may start up with a red screen in some cases. This may happen on a cold-start or after a reset. This is not an issue, as it will not keep the system from starting at all; it's just a property of the card with certain A1200 motherboard revisions, and it's perfectly normal behaviour.

So seems like this is a known issue for some board revisions. I'd still report it and see what Jens says. Perhaps he's got some advice.

You can also google for ACA1221 "red screen" and you will get quite some results. Good luck

Last edited by amigasith; 23 December 2021 at 09:30.