English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 January 2021, 20:21   #1
Traindriver69

Commodore A2088 Bridgeboard cant find janus files

Hi All
This one is driving me crazy I am trying to get a A2088 pc bridgeboard working in my Amiga 1500 I have tried all the versions of install programs with no effect.
The issues I have firstly if I install the software and try to run it I get library cannot be found now done a lot of hunting and found one website that says (You don't have the "binddrivers" statement in your startup-sequence.) can someone please help me how to do this.
Second issue is if the version of install software sets up a pc virtual drive when it gets to this stage it shows the hard drive (4gb cf card) at minus figure so It wont set one up on this is there any way round this or is it a matter of using a smaller cf card as the install software does not like a bigger cf card.

Many Thanks
Old 19 January 2021, 22:40   #2
Matt_H

Make sure you're using the latest Janus. See here to download v2.1. Boot from your normal system partition rather than the Janus disk. Run the install script.* The installer should place Janus.library in SYS:Expansion. BindDrivers (which enables all the drivers in SYS:Expansion) is called automatically by the startup-sequence in every version of the OS, so if you still get errors saying that Janus.library can't be found, it means either:
-The startup-sequence has been modified to remove BindDrivers (unlikely)
-The bridgeboard is not being detected; try reseating it
-There's a hardware problem with the bridgeboard

*Do this before running the install script:
The negative hard drive space issue is because you need a newer version of Installer (the Commodore-era versions choke when there's too much free space). Replace the version of Installer on the floppy with the one from Aminet.
Old 20 January 2021, 20:52   #3
Traindriver69

Hi
Thanks for the reply this is where I am now If I boot the computer up with an install adf file via a gotek and click on the pc file onthe disk the bridgeboard runs if I then use the install files and install to DH1 it works from DH1.But if I boot up without the install adf file it comes up couldnt find library.
Now to make things even more intresting I have a ZORRAM A2000 Zorro II Memory Expansion Installed which if I try and boot the install adf file in 4mb or 5.5mb I get software error - task held Finish all disk activity select cancel to reset/debug and wont do anything but if I boot it up in 8mb mode it will load up the software but get the couldnt find library again because the bridge board wont run with 8mb.
Anyone have any ideas please.
And just on the cf card issue I cant use a workbench installer as I am using 1.3 kickstart so using the budda files on my budda IDE card.
Old 21 January 2021, 04:21   #4
Matt_H

The Janus installation puts some files in SYS:. If you're booting from the Janus floppy, then the floppy becomes SYS: instead of your normal boot partition. Thus, the needed files don't get onto your hard drive. It sounds like you're missing Janus.library from SYS:Expansion, which you can drag over from the Expansion drawer on the Janus floppy, but there may be other files missing as well, so it's important to use the installer. Make sure you boot from your hard drive and *then* insert the Janus disk.

But it sounds like you're still using an older version of Janus. The Janus 2.1 disk isn't bootable, which prevents files from ending up in the wrong place.

You can work around the installer reporting a negative free space value by simply filling up your hard drive. Got any dummy files you can use to temporarily occupy space? Get the free space under 1 or 2 GB and the installer should report accurate free space values.

Another thing to be aware of once the installation is working is that PC virtual drives are very limited in size. I think the limit might be as small as 32MB.
Old 21 January 2021, 20:33   #5
Traindriver69

Hi
Thanks for your help I have now got the Bridgeboard card working as long as I disable my new Zorram memory card are there any issues with using a memory expansion with these cards and hopefully any fixes.