English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 January 2021, 09:10   #1
_Chrille_

Amiga 500 case bend (front center). Usual problem?

Hi!

I never owned an Amiga 500 when they were new but I bought one last year since I have always liked the Amiga and almost bought a new A1200 in the mid nineties but eventually got a 486 PC instead.

The computer I bought works great but the front center of case is somewhat bent downwards, like a banana. The keyboard is also bent in the same shape. Surely this is not how they were supposed to be? Shouldn't the keyboard plate be completely flat? Is this a usual problem with the A500? I have seen pictures and Youtube videos of some other machines with the same issue so it looks like I am not the only one with this problem.

Anyone here who has the same issue with their A500 and know what the cause of this is?

Last edited by _Chrille_; 18 January 2021 at 10:25.
Old 18 January 2021, 15:36   #2
Jope
-

The keyboard should be flat. The bend is probably because something heavy landed or rested on top of the computer at some point.
Old 18 January 2021, 16:17   #3
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
But 30+ years old wide Amigas that only have 4 legs and no support in the middle are really bent quite often.

Keyboard plate is made of metal and it should be flat, though.
Old 18 January 2021, 17:15   #4
_Chrille_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
The keyboard should be flat. The bend is probably because something heavy landed or rested on top of the computer at some point.
Yes that is what I thought too. But then again if something heavy landed on it the plastic would probably have cracked. My case is in really nice condition except that it's slightly bent in the front center. It's more likely that something heavy has rested on it. Perhaps an issue of bad storage.

Last edited by _Chrille_; 18 January 2021 at 20:46.
Old 18 January 2021, 17:25   #5
_Chrille_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
But 30+ years old wide Amigas that only have 4 legs and no support in the middle are really bent quite often.

Keyboard plate is made of metal and it should be flat, though.
But why would that be? The keyboard backplate is made of quite sturdy metal and it should not bend that easily. Not by regular use (like typing on the keyboard) anyway. It takes quite a bit of force to bend the plate. And there is nothing heavy resting on the plastic case that would pull it down so I find it quite strange that it would just sag because of it's own weight. The keyboard rests at the sides of the bottom part of the case and the metal backplate of the keyboard should be strong enough to keep the top plastic lid up.

Do any of you guys have an A500 or A500+ that is perfectly straight?
Old 18 January 2021, 20:10   #6
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Look how deformed is my main A1200. It has several reasons - heat, plastic not enough supported from bottom and also a long time unscrewed case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zkoroucena_a1200.png
Views:	39
Size:	953.7 KB
ID:	70455  
Old 18 January 2021, 20:55   #7
_Chrille_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Look how deformed is my main A1200. It has several reasons - heat, plastic not enough supported from bottom and also a long time unscrewed case.
Isn't that more of an optical illusion? At least when viewing this image you can clearly see that the top part of your desk (the part where your monitor sits) also has a curved look. I assume that part is flat IRL?

Maybe your A1200 is deformed. But that image is not the best way to tell because because your camera lens causes distortions.