English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 17 July 2006, 02:12   #1
Slayer
Amiga Member

Is the Amiga still the only computer you have at home?

While I was browsing the 'What do you really love about the amiga?' thread I decided I finally wanted to ask this question that I've been pondering year after year in recent years anyway...

I brought my first ever cpu in 1986 and it was an Amiga. Today I use an Amiga and nothing else for computing.

Until I acquire an AmigaOne I will still be using one of my Amigas for my main machine for many years to come.

Am I the only Amiga user left?

'Amiga user defined as an individual that operates the authentic hardware for all there cpu needs on a need to basis - be that day to day or every other day and doesn't own or use any other cpus in there household'

I understand because of the modern age individuals will use modern (other) cpus in the course of work... as long as you do not bring your work machines home and use them for things other than work then you still remain a purist of sorts...

Now, I do not want any BS arguements or judgements here, I just want to know if there is anyone else out there

it makes no difference but it's something I ponder from time to time... I placed this here for everyone else... since using an Amiga is certainly not a memory to me...

Old 17 July 2006, 13:38   #2
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I bet I'm the only one still using an Amiga with OCS/ECS graphics as my main (only) computer.

I still get a thrill out of using my Amiga and I am constantly amazed by what it can do. Whenever I am forced to use Windows (at work), I get a tightness of the chest, my face turns red and multiple swear words start forming in the back of my throat, but when I use my Amiga, I just relax and smile. "Ahhhhhhh"
Old 17 July 2006, 13:40   #3
keropi

sadly enough, a classic amiga even with a ppc accel, is not enough nowdays...
mainly in software terms...
Old 17 July 2006, 18:28   #4
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

I'm afriad I do everything on a PC now... my Amigas are now purely 'pleasure' machines, but they still get a lot of use
Old 17 July 2006, 19:19   #5
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Not the only computer here.
My main computers are a Power Mac G5 and a Dell Dual Xeon CPU workstation but some days I use my A4000's for websurfing and chat for the fun of it
But my Amiga's are mainly used as gaming machines except for my A4000(T) PPC machine which is mainly used for websurfing and chat and it's quite fast at it too
Old 17 July 2006, 21:45   #6
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer
Am I the only Amiga user left?

'Amiga user defined as an individual that operates the authentic hardware for all there cpu needs on a need to basis - be that day to day or every other day and doesn't own or use any other cpus in there household'

I understand because of the modern age individuals will use modern (other) cpus in the course of work... as long as you do not bring your work machines home and use them for things other than work then you still remain a purist of sorts...
Pretty much sums me up. I use my A4000s at home for the net, HOL stuff etc. I use PCs at work and the laptop usually only comes home with me when I have to do work (often to crunch stats with SPSS for research). So, no you're not the only Amiga user left who exclusively uses the Amiga at home for day-to-day stuff!
Old 17 July 2006, 22:40   #7
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

I use my Amiga A1200 to collect dust.....

Same here I'm afraid - everything I do is on the PC. Very interesting to read that some of you guys do all surfing / gaming through an Amiga though. And full credits for doing so

Sure, I'd like to have a go at doing it, but theres just not enough hours in the day from doing so.
Old 17 July 2006, 23:48   #8
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

I have four machines in daily use, a windoze PC, my A1200, a G3 Powerbook and a Mac Classic II.

I dont think I could manage with just my A1200
Old 17 July 2006, 23:50   #9
X-ray
Angry Kid Fan

Respect to Mr 500....

I managed to keep my Amiga 4000T as my only computer right up until mid August 2002 but then I had to defect or I couldn't do my research graphics and encryption.
Old 18 July 2006, 01:40   #10
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I couldn't handle using only an Amiga I'm afraid

Got a PC here, which I never actually use for games.

I use my A1200 solely for gaming and it's the best damn games machine
Old 18 July 2006, 05:40   #11
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I bet I'm the only one still using an Amiga with OCS/ECS graphics as my main (only) computer.

I still get a thrill out of using my Amiga and I am constantly amazed by what it can do. Whenever I am forced to use Windows (at work), I get a tightness of the chest, my face turns red and multiple swear words start forming in the back of my throat, but when I use my Amiga, I just relax and smile. "Ahhhhhhh"

I am trying to understand here, not make fun.
But, aren't you limiting yourself?
You cannot use an MP3 player to send music to an iPod or the like on a 68k.
Can you? Can you use the web in it's correct and full glory that a more advanced Amiga can? Or Watch a DVD? Burn a DVD? Please inform me.
Old 18 July 2006, 05:48   #12
Slayer
Amiga Member

very well balanced thread here chaps, nice input!

maybe for some of us stubborn users what actually happened is we started to get more and more Amiga hardware and in the end became buried in time along with it...

now, I'm not saying that to condemn us I'm merely speculating on the mentality surrounding the course of events during the years...

I'd like to think I had an active choice all along and in some ways I'd prefer it this way but I have to admitt (purely through hindsight) sometimes things are set in motion that can run away with a life of its own...

I never mentioned tunnel vision, not sure where you got that!

anyway, see? since the thread was so nicely addressed I felt like lightening the atmosphere with some insights I am willing to convey...

even if it annoys the hell out of my deeply rooted Amiga elitest foundations!
Old 18 July 2006, 07:23   #13
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
I am trying to understand here, not make fun.
But, aren't you limiting yourself?
You cannot use an MP3 player to send music to an iPod or the like on a 68k.
Can you? Can you use the web in it's correct and full glory that a more advanced Amiga can? Or Watch a DVD? Burn a DVD? Please inform me.
This is a perfectly reasonable question and I am happy to answer. Yes, you're right - the iPod loading and web compatibility are two major limits. These two things are the reason I have to eventually buy a Mac - probably early next year. I've heard that USB is possible on an A500 but even I am not insane enough to pay hundreds more in a futile attempt to connect my iPod. The same goes for high-speed internet. I don't really care about watching DVD on a computer, though. I have a DVD player for that.

So.. in 2007, when the A500 is 20 years old, I'll probably buy a Mac and my "Amiga-only" days will be over. I'll still emulate Amiga on the Mac. I've got too much of a nice setup to abandon it completely. My A500 will then become a museum piece. Unfortunately, nothing lasts forever.
Old 19 July 2006, 05:03   #14
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
I have a 1,33ghz pc with geforce fx5200 128mb, 512mb memory and 80gb hd innit. I must have it for MS Office because we use it in school and other programs too. But amiga is the best, pc is just for the work (ok and some 3d games that aren't on the amiga).

I'm getting the original brown C-64 at home in a week .

@Slayer: you are a hardcore amigan i must say!
Old 19 July 2006, 17:53   #15
SilentBob

Since I like to stay with the times, I got my first PC back in the mid 90s. But I still kept my Amiga. All my friends had PCs in the end, so it would be a bad idea for me not to get one myself, I'd be completely left out of the loop. They were all having LAN parties, which I couldn't attend. So I scraped together whatever money I could come up with and bought a decent PC. The Amiga is all well and nice, but I can't get by without a PC, since I use it for work related tasks. None of that software is available for the Amiga.
Old 27 July 2006, 16:43   #16
Graham Humphrey

My A1200 is my only computer (not counting the consoles I have of course). I can't really afford, or have room for, a PC and I'm not online at home anyway so it doesn't bother me.

Besides, other than that I can do everything I want to do on my 1200, and most importantly, I enjoy using it. Isn't that the most important thing? Who cares if it's up to date or not? As long as you like using it and you find it useful - regardless of what machine you own - that's all that matters really.
Old 31 July 2006, 18:58   #17
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey
My A1200 is my only computer (not counting the consoles I have of course). I can't really afford, or have room for, a PC and I'm not online at home anyway so it doesn't bother me.

Besides, other than that I can do everything I want to do on my 1200, and most importantly, I enjoy using it. Isn't that the most important thing? Who cares if it's up to date or not? As long as you like using it and you find it useful - regardless of what machine you own - that's all that matters really.
Ahmen to that
Old 31 July 2006, 19:14   #18
FlashFF
Zone Friend

Im a PC programmer, so not having a PC at home would drive me to tears
Beside that my amiga exploded so it probably wouldnt be very useful right now. I plan on getting another amiga sometime in the near future though.
Old 09 August 2006, 14:05   #19
petza

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-ray
Respect to Mr 500....

I managed to keep my Amiga 4000T as my only computer right up until mid August 2002 but then I had to defect or I couldn't do my research graphics and encryption.
u traitor i still use my spectrum as my main machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashFF
Im a PC programmer, so not having a PC at home would drive me to tears
Beside that my amiga exploded so it probably wouldnt be very useful right now. I plan on getting another amiga sometime in the near future though.
my miggy dumped me it died on me

Last edited by BippyM; 09 August 2006 at 20:42.
Old 09 August 2006, 15:39   #20
blade002
Zone Friend

I used Amiga's from 1990 - 2000, so for 10 years straight and then i had to bite the bullet and buy a PC, but now 6 years after i left the Amiga im back and its the best move ive made in a long time. although i need a proper desk for it again, etc..