English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 April 2020, 21:15   #921
number6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedGeek View Post
WOW! With no fresh news to keep this thread on topic look what happens...

Anyway, back to topic now:

Stipulated MOTION to Continue Trial Date and Related Dates by Three Months to Facilitate Settlement Discussions , filed by Counter Claimants Amiga, Inc, Itec, LLC, Defendants Amiga, Inc, Amino Development Corporation, Cloanto Corporation, Itec, LLC, Consol Plaintiffs Amiga, Inc, Amino Development Corporation, Cloanto Corporation, Itec, LLC. Noting Date 4/24/2020, (Atkins, Michael)

WTF? Hey, you idiot parties have been granted too many extensions already!
IMO the only valid reason to grant you another extension is circumstances beyond your control (e.g. The PANDEMIC!).
As you know the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington (state) is pretty much located in covid-19 central. Obviously things like "talks" can continue electronically. With the exception of some criminal cases the court is closed.

Quote:
Civil hearings are postponed until after July 1, 2020 unless otherwise scheduled by the presiding judge, and most hearings held will be telephonically.

All jury trials are postponed until after July 1, 2020. Potential jurors will be notified when to report to the courthouse.
apologies if I posted this already

And obviously Mike (Italy) would not be travelling, much less anyone from Belgium...
Quote:
BELGIUM NOW HAS THE HIGHEST COVID-19 DEATH RATE
You can argue how statistics are compiled and viewed, but you get the point.

Old 28 April 2020, 15:33   #922
number6

@thread

Item #92

New (revised) dates posted for trial and associated events.

Old 30 April 2020, 14:49   #923
SpeedGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by number6 View Post
@thread

Item #92

New (revised) dates posted for trial and associated events.

The request did mention the COVID-19 crisis, but it was not the principle reason for it. I suppose the Court would prefer to postpone any civil case during the crisis anyway.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Order_Continue.pdf (112.4 KB, 130 views)
Old 12 May 2020, 07:37   #924
blatboy

Man this whole thing bums me out. I’ve been really happy with 3.4.1 and happy that there’s been such (seeming) forward movement in the development of an Amiga 68k operating system. I saw 3.4.1. as a real step forward for the whole movement... making it easier to use these wacky old machines that I love so much in the current era. I have the A3000 roms and a software rom license, and was looking forward to getting the 1200 roms... both to use, and to support the cause. I mean, I know I’m preaching to the choir here and there are certainly bigger issues in the world right now... but man... this bums me out. What a freakin’ waste.

Last edited by blatboy; 12 May 2020 at 07:48.
Old 13 May 2020, 01:59   #925
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by blatboy View Post
Man this whole thing bums me out. I’ve been really happy with 3.4.1 and happy that there’s been such (seeming) forward movement in the development of an Amiga 68k operating system. I saw 3.4.1. as a real step forward for the whole movement... making it easier to use these wacky old machines that I love so much in the current era. I have the A3000 roms and a software rom license, and was looking forward to getting the 1200 roms... both to use, and to support the cause. I mean, I know I’m preaching to the choir here and there are certainly bigger issues in the world right now... but man... this bums me out. What a freakin’ waste.
What bums you out?
Old 13 May 2020, 15:25   #926
blatboy

Maybe I posted too quickly... was just a gut reaction to 3.4.1 being taken off the market... yet more signs of legal in-fighting between some of the major players... it’s always something. While I understand that things gotta be “right”, I worry this kind of squabbling will stint the amazing leap forward (IMHO) that 3.4.1 showed... both in the project itself, and as a proof of concept for others for improving/modernizing the 68k OS with a minimum of headache. Granted, most of us in the Amiga enjoy a lot of those setup “headaches” (myself included) but you get my gist, I hope. Haha. Sorry for my outburst of negativity.
Old 13 May 2020, 20:42   #927
spudje

Just for the record, it's 3.1.4

I think it will take another 20 or 30 years before we will be at 3.4.x
Old 13 May 2020, 21:23   #928
blatboy

hahah. I didn't even notice my dyslexia there. hahah.
Old 14 May 2020, 01:48   #929
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
I think it will take another 20 or 30 years before we will be at 3.4.x

I dunno, at Hyperion's new pace we might be there in under a decade.
Old 25 July 2020, 22:03   #930
SpeedGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldacid View Post
I dunno, at Hyperion's new pace we might be there in under a decade.
At the current pace, they won't even have the legal dispute resolved by then:

94 07/21 4:11 PM ORDER
re Parties'93 Stipulation. Jury Trial is CONTINUED TO 2/1/2021 at 09:00 AM in Courtroom 13206 before Judge Ricardo S. Martinez. Dispositive motions due by 11/5/2020, 39.1 mediation to be completed by 12/17/2020, Motions in Limine due by 1/7/2021, Agreed Pretrial Order due by 1/22/2021, Voir dire/jury instructions/trial briefs due by 1/29/2021. Signed by Judge Ricardo S. Martinez. (LH)

The same old lame excuses = the same old lame results.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Stipulated_Motion_Continue.pdf (247.2 KB, 79 views)
Old 25 July 2020, 23:11   #931
IanS

I would hate to be the one trying to track down the whole trail of ownership, licences, contracts and copyright etc. Then some poor judge has to interpret everything.

All the money spent on lawyers could have been better spent on other things. Like pizza, chocolate and alcohol whilst the parties involved just sat down in a room and came up with a reasonably amicable settlement. The rest of the money going toward OS development, software or even hardware.

Oh sorry, I was wearing decidedly pink lenses. Back to normality.
Old 25 July 2020, 23:58   #932
Paul_s

Is this nonsense still going on all these years? Should've been done and dusted in 1994.

The lawyers have probably made more money than the Amiga brand has since Commodore closed its doors.
Old 26 July 2020, 00:45   #933
IanS

Lawyers are the only ones making any money from the Amiga. Why they just don't set up a separate limited company, transfer all legal rights of 3.1x to that company and then start afresh with new licences for Hyperion, Aeon and Cloanto.

Define OS4 as a completely separate product without any further claim to 3.1x sources.

Protect the original 3.1/3.9 source codes for historical purposes.

License 3.14 and later to include it in Amiga Forever, whilst Hyperion can develop/sell OS4.

Both can act as a reseller of official 3.1x and associated ROMs.

Any profits from licensing being ploughed back in to help with further development by those who work on the classic OS (currently unpaid!)

Simples ??

Cloanto still sell AF, Hyperion OS4, both profit from 3.X even if they don't own it.
Old 26 July 2020, 03:01   #934
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Hyperion should just share all their IP with the IP troll company that has been trying to bankrupt them through litigation for years?! Cloanto should profit from a product they had no involvement in and have been trying to prevent the users from having?!

And "define OS4 as a completely separate product without any further claim to 3.1x sources" would just cause more interoperability difficulties and needless duplication of work.
Old 28 July 2020, 15:02   #935
IanS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Hyperion should just share all their IP with the IP troll company that has been trying to bankrupt them through litigation for years?! Cloanto should profit from a product they had no involvement in and have been trying to prevent the users from having?!

And "define OS4 as a completely separate product without any further claim to 3.1x sources" would just cause more interoperability difficulties and needless duplication of work.
We can tell who you think are the good guys here, despite absolutely no evidence. I think you'll probably find that Cloanto have legal rights too. But obviously, you didn't bother to read my post properly. I clearly said, all companies should relinquish their individual rights to a new company that can then relicense to those who wish it. That includes Cloanto.

As for being IP trolls, if someone buys it obtains the legal rights to something, that is a perfectly legitimate business tactic. Just because you don't like the company involved, doesn't make it illegal. Half the companies in the world are no longer owned by their founders. If a company or a brand is for sale or is defunct, then anyone can buy it. Including you... if you hsd the money. But then you would be a troll too.

As for OS4, after all these years, the code contained within will be sufficiently different to be a separate product. You choose a date, take a snapshot and say "This is OS4, we have no more need to the original 3.1 sources. But if we do, we can license them. again."
Old 28 July 2020, 15:55   #936
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

I don't see what the ancient OS3.1 sources are even good for really, it has already been forked four times (Walker, OS3.5/3.9, OS4, OS3.1.4/3.2), what a waste of development effort. Forking it for a fifth time, fixing all those bugs yet again, etc. makes no sense at all.
Old 29 July 2020, 01:51   #937
number6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedGeek View Post
At the current pace, they won't even have the legal dispute resolved by then:

94 07/21 4:11 PM ORDER
re Parties'93 Stipulation. Jury Trial is CONTINUED TO 2/1/2021 at 09:00 AM in Courtroom 13206 before Judge Ricardo S. Martinez. Dispositive motions due by 11/5/2020, 39.1 mediation to be completed by 12/17/2020, Motions in Limine due by 1/7/2021, Agreed Pretrial Order due by 1/22/2021, Voir dire/jury instructions/trial briefs due by 1/29/2021. Signed by Judge Ricardo S. Martinez. (LH)

The same old lame excuses = the same old lame results.
Perhaps you missed the latest?
http://amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2020-07-00070-EN.html

Old 29 July 2020, 14:51   #938
IanS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
I don't see what the ancient OS3.1 sources are even good for really, it has already been forked four times (Walker, OS3.5/3.9, OS4, OS3.1.4/3.2), what a waste of development effort. Forking it for a fifth time, fixing all those bugs yet again, etc. makes no sense at all.
There's absolutely no reason to fork AOS again. Considering how long ago the last official update to OS 3.9 was, it is hardly relevant today. I'm not aware of any outlets selling 3.9 as an new, licensed product.

As the development team working on 3.2 have been working for free, I would expect (the as yet unreleased) 3.2 to be the official continuation of 3.1, under the stewardship of the new company, especially as it is in the very early stages of development.

3.1.4 was a product sold by Hyperion, but it is no longer being updated. It would be a natural cut off point.

No matter who 'wins' the court cases, the bad feeling, animosity and divisiveness will remain. Until all parties agree that the Amiga 'brand' cannot survive or prosper* unless there's cooperation and collaboration.

* Prosper being a relative term. Nobody expects a miraculous revival, but it could certainly be better.
Old 29 July 2020, 15:36   #939
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
As the development team working on 3.2 have been working for free, I would expect (the as yet unreleased) 3.2 to be the official continuation of 3.1, under the stewardship of the new company, especially as it is in the very early stages of development.
3.2 is the continuation of 3.1.4(.1), which is a continuation of 3.1.

Quote:
No matter who 'wins' the court cases, the bad feeling, animosity and divisiveness will remain. Until all parties agree that the Amiga 'brand' cannot survive or prosper* unless there's cooperation and collaboration.
I think pulling the rug from under those developers by transferring the rights to some other company and then probably to Cloanto would be likely to cause further animosity.
Old 29 July 2020, 15:44   #940
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post
[...] 3.1.4 was a product sold by Hyperion, but it is no longer being updated. It would be a natural cut off point. [...]
3.1.4 (released 09.2018) has been updated -> 3.1.4.1 (available since 07.2019)
3.1.4.1 is being updated -> 3.2 (available when ready)