English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 01 August 2019, 22:21   #1
XPD
Geek Kiwi

Floppy disk Dedicated Amiga emulator

I'm obtaining a nice little laptop (12" Lenovo) from a friend, and I'd be keen to turn it into a dedicated (90% Amiga, 10% work when on call) "Amiga" entertainment system (games, mods etc).

Would I best to just fire up WinUAE and build a custom Workbench based environment (assuming most games will be HDD based) , or is there something else I should look at such as a dedicated frontend of some sort ?

TIA
Old 02 August 2019, 07:34   #2
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

WinUAE is fine with a workbench and WHDLoad. Could easily just add Win_UAE to startup if you wanted it to seemingly boot direct to workbench.

Another thing I found fun to play about with was Amiga Forever with the KX Lite boot option. Installed that on an old PC and it "seemingly" just boots directly into Workbench (via KX Lite which I believe is a thin linux client? (new to this myself).

Took some messing around with, and I dont really "use" it. Was just fun to achieve.

Also played about with AROS which is an "amiga like" operating system for X86 machines. I didn't have much luck due to hardware compatibility issues by end, but your kit "may" be fine. I could make it work, but it wouldn't see the FFD or the Network card, so getting any games onto it was going to be a PITA so I didn't bother.

But again, just fun to mess around with.
Old 02 August 2019, 09:37   #3
Gzegzolka

Go for winuae it is best option, also I would suggest to keep also adf's files. Some rare games still do not have HD version for WHD, some got build in trainers to make game easier. Some Whd versions are better because they have little hacks like second fire button to jump in Ruff n Tumble. Also some cd32 images got sometimes extra stuff like audio tracks.
For myself experience I keep one winuae version to play DamienD adf/hdf's collection that have cool miniatures with screen shoots. One winuae version with classicWB distribution for playing whd games and have saved configurations for various Amiga models. Plus I have a folder with three other older winuae versions for compatible tests.
Old 02 August 2019, 12:53   #4
Anubis
Retro Gamer

For similar laptop I used batocera.

This allows more then Amiga emulation, but the same can be done by using emulators by itself. Issue can be what processor you have, as some smaller laptop have quite slow CPU.

Here is how it all looks...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 02 August 2019, 14:56   #5
Dunny

Amilator: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...light=amilator

Works bloody beautifully. Aside from the floppies restriction that FS-UAE has for some reason.
Old 05 August 2019, 04:29   #6
XPD
Geek Kiwi

Thanks all, will be sticking with Windows based options as I need it occasionally for work