English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 September 2019, 17:50   #1
pitfall

Smile My Click & Play Retrogames Collection

Hey Guys! With the permission of my administrator friend DamienD, I start this topic to share my collection of fully portable retro games for windows pc. We will try to remember great jewels of the past from computer systems and old consoles.

I will be updating this first post when I add new portable games to the collection. The games have the basic instructions included and it is recommended to launch the portable in windows as administrator.

Maybe with some antivirus give some false alarm but all files are totally clean of viruses and hostile aliens.

We started the thread with a game of Commodore 64! Enjoy!!

Commodore 64
KRAKOUT

Arcade
Amiga Arcadia 7in1 Collection

Last edited by pitfall; 07 October 2019 at 17:12. Reason: add amiga arcadia collection
Old 30 September 2019, 00:51   #2
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Thank you @pitfall.
Yes, a very nice game.

Question: Are the following games also going to be 20+ MB or is there a plan to add game like DD does for his Collection ?
Old 30 September 2019, 01:26   #3
ransom1122

One C64 game at a time?

Or are you doing multi games in one pack at all?
Old 30 September 2019, 02:13   #4
Dunny

I have to say, 24MB for a single C64 game is an awful lot, even figuring in artwork.

Internally, it's a (windows) disk image containing a 7MB(!) executable, the lua support dlls, and that's not including the full version of Vice (with all of the Vice documentation and a tonne of unnecessary Vice extras). And another 7MB of video files.

I suspect that this could work well as a collection of games with a front-end launcher, but duplicating what must be at least 10-12MB of cruft for every game makes it non-viable.
Old 30 September 2019, 11:46   #5
pitfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Thank you @pitfall.
Yes, a very nice game.

Question: Are the following games also going to be 20+ MB or is there a plan to add game like DD does for his Collection ?

they will be loose games and I will do it in the time that I have free. If I want this menu quality with the video and all that 20mb per game is needed. But today who does not have a hard disk tb? I will also go very slowly and making many systems .. I could not do all the games!
Old 30 September 2019, 12:33   #6
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitfall View Post
If I want this menu quality with the video and all that 20mb per game is needed.
No, it's not. You've included all sorts of rubbish from the standard Vice install that's not necessary. And given that all of your graphics and video (and the emulator) are separate files... What did you include in your menu program that bloats the executable to 7MB?

For comparison, I've created an entire language, compiler and IDE in a little over 3MB.
Old 30 September 2019, 13:17   #7
ransom1122

I had a test, and I must say its not that bad at all. Would be nice to have a dedicated C64 frontend where you can scroll through games instead of a file a game type scenario..

Either way, thanks for sharing
Old 30 September 2019, 13:24   #8
pitfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
I had a test, and I must say its not that bad at all. Would be nice to have a dedicated C64 frontend where you can scroll through games instead of a file a game type scenario..

Either way, thanks for sharing

There are already several c64 frontend created. The portable games that I share I make for my personal collection and I share them in case you like to keep them too. I will try to improve the weight of the file but for me that is not important.
Old 30 September 2019, 14:09   #9
pitfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
No, it's not. You've included all sorts of rubbish from the standard Vice install that's not necessary. And given that all of your graphics and video (and the emulator) are separate files... What did you include in your menu program that bloats the executable to 7MB?

For comparison, I've created an entire language, compiler and IDE in a little over 3MB.

My knowledge is basic and I am happy with a portable game of 5 or 20 mb. but I will try to improve that if there is so much concern for weight .. I appreciate your interest in improving it. Thank you.
Old 30 September 2019, 14:34   #10
Dunny

Improving it is good - otherwise if this takes off you're looking at 50GB installed for a decent collection of C64 games.

In case I didn't make it clear - I am extremely interested in this, as I am for all game collection systems. And as Ransom says, if you were to go with a frontend that allows people to scroll through their games, showing video/screenshots, box art, manuals, cheats etc then it would be a real killer app.
Old 30 September 2019, 14:50   #11
ransom1122

I'm your website you have a front-end for an amiga launcher which scrolls through games, shows videos etc. Something like that for c64 would be awesome.

But live I've said if single games is your thing, then by all means hard drive space is not an issue. So bring it on....
Old 30 September 2019, 14:57   #12
pitfall

Quote:
I'm your website you have a front-end for an amiga launcher which scrolls through games, shows videos etc. Something like that for c64 would be awesome.

But live I've said if single games is your thing, then by all means hard drive space is not an issue. So bring it on....

it is correct .. something like that in c64 would be very good. I ever did some. But I prefer loose games. and my basic knowledge of all this does not allow me to improve the weight of the portable archive much more. but I will do my best to improve it in the next systems.
Old 30 September 2019, 15:01   #13
ransom1122

It's ok, the weight of games doesn't bother me, especially when they're presented well.

Are you using latest version of vice?
Old 30 September 2019, 15:49   #14
pitfall

Quote:
It's ok, the weight of games doesn't bother me, especially when they're presented well.

Are you using latest version of vice?
i dont remember what version i use! hahaha sorry!
Old 07 October 2019, 17:13   #15
pitfall

Game added: Amiga Arcadia 7in1 collection
Old 12 October 2019, 08:54   #16
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitfall View Post
Game added: Amiga Arcadia 7in1 collection

This is driven by MAME

Arcadia in WINUAE uses F3 - insert Coins, F1 - Start. With your package it classic MAME 5 - Insert Coins & 1 - Start.

Whats the fire button for Ninja Mission?
Old 12 October 2019, 14:42   #17
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Just like MAME, <Left Ctrl> = <Fire Button 1> and <Left Alt> = <Fire Button 2>
Old 12 October 2019, 21:46   #18
pitfall

Quote:
This is driven by MAME

Arcadia in WINUAE uses F3 - insert Coins, F1 - Start. With your package it classic MAME 5 - Insert Coins & 1 - Start.

you can press Tab key and config your controls.