English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 30 March 2018, 11:13   #101
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiwolf View Post
I thought it may have had something to do with the FPU.
Why did you think so? There is no other 68k FPU implementation other than those by Motorola, so how could the one in the Vampire possibly violate any copyrights?
Old 30 March 2018, 11:22   #102
amiwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
Why did you think so? There is no other 68k FPU implementation other than those by Motorola, so how could the one in the Vampire possibly violate any copyrights?
Jim referred to code "within the Apollo core." I don't consider Kickstart to be part of the core so I wondered what else it could be.
Old 30 March 2018, 11:26   #103
JimDrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
So why with coffin is he on a rampaging warpath when he could have approached it the same way with the same results?
What makes you think that I didn't try that route first?

The ironic twist to this whole thing is that I *helped* the Apollo team with core debugging. I even have a credit in one of the change logs. I had access to their FTP site, I chatted with them on IRC, I let them test a Vampire specific version of PCx, I explained to them how various things work with emulation technology, etc. So... I then take a hiatus for many months and out of the blue I get an email from a team member asking about some issue with FUSION and the new FPU. So, I chimed back in and chatted with Gunnar and crew via IRC about this, offering to debug the issue. I got the FPU version and explained about how the Mac requires 80 bit precision for floating point for many of their system functions. The issue with FUSION (causing a hang in a benchmark program) was found before I got a chance to look at it. A few days later the FPU enabled version was released. Then a short time later someone that was apparently a team member (although they won't give me their name and their email address is a hotmail address) sent me an email telling me all kinds of interesting stuff and giving me the heads up about what is in the Apollo core (which does contain Kickstart and a bunch of other things) and the coffin distribution. This kind of blind-sided me, and so I immediately looked at the Apollo core and the coffin release. Imagine my surprise that the person telling me this stuff was right. This is how I found out. I then attempted to track down the source of the coffin release and when that fell on deaf ears I decided to take it up a notch -and so here we are today.

I think I have been very accommodating in my support of a product where I have no gain, and I certainly do not appreciate my stuff being stolen as a thank you.
Old 30 March 2018, 12:02   #104
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
What makes you think that I didn't try that route first?
Since you asked.

I was in the IRC channel when you came in and immediately started the threatening messages about your software in Coffin as well as the results of my Vampire user feedback Topic and everything you left as a track record in between. So to answer your question; those things and more, are exactly "What makes me think you did not try that route first". Because Coffin OS with your software has been MIA since you demanded it and yet you still go on and on and on.

Perhaps there should have been an NDA involved. Someone with your experience in the business should know how to better protect your IP when working with others.

But your public display; up until now, has been an unprofessional reaction as opposed to a business response where the only thing that needed to happen was filing of a lawsuit, in private until the court documents become public for people to see if that was your final recourse.

If there is any truth to it according to the law then the entire Amiga community would be aware when the headlines hit that Apollo Accelerators have been issued a cease and desist order for all development with the likes of Cloanto and Hyperion and whomever listed as the plaintiffs vs Apollo Acellerators.

You did a similar thing when it came to ShapeShifter, How did that work out?
Seems it's now open source, free for the pickings and alterations and continued community development. But I thought that was stolen from you as well.

It's your own public display that projects who you are as a person and more importantly as a business.

As an end user, these things clarify where I will invest in my hobby.

As a business, that should concern you.
Old 30 March 2018, 15:41   #105
EzdineG

Quote:
But your public display; up until now, has been an unprofessional reaction as opposed to a business response where the only thing that needed to happen was filing of a lawsuit, in private until the court documents become public for people to see if that was your final recourse.

If there is any truth to it according to the law then the entire Amiga community would be aware when the headlines hit that Apollo Accelerators have been issued a cease and desist order for all development with the likes of Cloanto and Hyperion and whomever listed as the plaintiffs vs Apollo Acellerators.
I don’t know, man.

I’d very much appreciate being asked to remove potentially infringing software as opposed to being notified via lawsuit, even if that notification was seen by the public.

But that’s just me (insert Kermit meme.)
Old 30 March 2018, 20:40   #106
JimDrew

Quote:
So to answer your question; those things and more, are exactly "What makes me think you did not try that route first".
Well, that is where you are wrong. I took the easy approach at first, but everyone just played dumb, even though there were literally hundreds of posts and IRC conversations (all captured of course) talking about this issue and admitting that the coffin release was illegal, and they didn't care.

Quote:
Perhaps there should have been an NDA involved. Someone with your experience in the business should know how to better protect your IP when working with others.
I did protect my IP. It's well established copyrighted work. I think you must be confused about what has happened.

Quote:
My response has been professional. I first asked politely which fell on deaf ears. I then let the public know what was going on to try to force a response as the offending parties went into damage control. The next step would be legal recourse. It's a simple matter of progression.

Quote:
You did a similar thing when it came to ShapeShifter, How did that work out?
Seems it's now open source, free for the pickings and alterations and continued community development. But I thought that was stolen from you as well.
There was a clear history of theft by Christian Bauer of both AMAX IV and EMPLANT code to create Shapeshifter. At the time, going after a young college kid with nothing to gain was not recommend by my attorneys. I had already successfully sued a company in the U.K. for copyright infringement, so I knew exactly what was involved and I agreed to not pursue action at the time. This case is different because there are people making money from this. The U.S. State Department will lend a hand in cases like this, making it easier proceed. I certainly don't want it to come to that, but I do take these things seriously. So, I will sit back and wait to see what gets released to correct the situation.

Quote:
It's your own public display that projects who you are as a person and more importantly as a business.
Absolutely! I think it should be clear by now that I won't sit idly by and let blatant copyright infringements occur. I really don't care who dislikes that attitude, because it's not changing.
Old 30 March 2018, 20:51   #107
nexus

yep you have to show you are actively protecting your ip's or they may say its ok to use for free
also in usa if he can prove this was used to sell cards he can be awarded some of those profits and any other persons involved
Old 30 March 2018, 22:35   #108
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiwolf View Post
I don't consider Kickstart to be part of the core so I wondered what else it could be.
If there was a way to get the Apollo core without also getting this mocked up kickstart of theirs, I would certainly chose that option. They could easily provide a tool to let users flash their own kickstarts. This was discussed a long time ago, but since "the team" cannot make up their mind about whether their "most users" character is a long time advanced Amiga user, or someone who dug out their old A500 from the attic 30 years later, they went for the shady solution. I suppose there was some "hope" that no-one would notice/care about them using OS3.9 components, and also... speed. Loading kickstart modules from disk requires a second boot, meaning longer boot times... and Gunnar hates that.
Old 02 April 2018, 22:55   #109
Overflow

Very indepth presentation of the Vampire project by Manuel Jesus recorded by The Guru Meditation;

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 03 April 2018, 07:33   #110
Locutus

I dont know how thats in-depth, its just a sales pitch.
Old 06 June 2018, 01:55   #111
Crom

Hi Part 2 us up where we use the actual Vampires instead of just going through a power point sales type presentation. Hopefully you will learn something about Vampire you may not have seen elsewhere and find it interesting to watch. Part two is more hands on and perhaps won't come off as a sales / marketing pitch.

Cheers

Last edited by Crom; 06 June 2018 at 02:01.