English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 April 2012, 14:19   #1
Akira

A600: one key not working

Usually problems with keyboards end up in one line of keys or more not working, but I am having a problem with my A600: Only the left shift key is not working.

Anybody has a clue about what could be happening here? It's a bit annoying, I am used to use the left shift a lot.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 03 April 2012, 14:30   #2
jimbob

iirc, left shift key, and a few others, (alts, ctrl, amigas I think), have their own line on the ribbon. I'd just try reseating the ribbon.
Old 03 April 2012, 15:02   #3
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Usually problems with keyboards end up in one line of keys or more not working, but I am having a problem with my A600: Only the left shift key is not working.

Anybody has a clue about what could be happening here? It's a bit annoying, I am used to use the left shift a lot.

Do all keys work in Early startup?
If not which are not working?

Whats the specs of your A600? you running custom kickstart?
Old 03 April 2012, 15:20   #4
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
iirc, left shift key, and a few others, (alts, ctrl, amigas I think), have their own line on the ribbon. I'd just try reseating the ribbon.
As far as I remember It was working before I sent the motherboard to d0pefish so you might be right there, I'll give it a try, thanks!
Old 03 April 2012, 17:27   #5
deicidal
Registered Insane

When i got my a600 a few of the keys did not work, turned out someone had taken it appart and lost some of the screws that held the plate behind the keys so there was not enough pressure.
Old 03 April 2012, 20:55   #6
Photon

Do check the key but it's more than likely that it just takes a reseat of the keyboard strip. Check the fingers on it so that a finger hasn't lost its copper. If so, clip it off straightly and neatly with a sharp pair of scissors and strip off as much cover-plastic on back and front of the strip as you clipped off, to make the fingers reach far enough down into the socket. Good as new
Old 03 April 2012, 20:58   #7
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Just move the keyboard connection to the mb, inside and outside the connector in both sides too while you try that key till you get all working.
Old 03 April 2012, 21:41   #8
Photon

Yep, it's the sideways position that matters. Try flush left and flush right first, but if the strip is worn it can be pretty hit and miss so that's why the "just reseat" advice.
Old 04 April 2012, 00:15   #9
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Check the fingers on it so that a finger hasn't lost its copper. If so, clip it off straightly and neatly with a sharp pair of scissors and strip off as much cover-plastic on back and front of the strip as you clipped off, to make the fingers reach far enough down into the socket. Good as new
Yeah I came up with this solution some time ago when trying to revive this very same Amiga:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=51596

So the copper is pretty much fresh since that wasn't too long ago!

I don't have time to open the machine this week, I gotta use it on Saturday, but on Monday I will see if re-seating it or moving it sideways will fix the shift. Thanks!
Old 04 April 2012, 00:45   #10
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Yeah I came up with this solution some time ago when trying to revive this very same Amiga:

I don't have time to open the machine this week, I gotta use it on Saturday, but on Monday I will see if re-seating it or moving it sideways will fix the shift. Thanks!
What's happening this Saturday?!
Old 04 April 2012, 02:03   #11
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
What's happening this Saturday?!
This! http://www.facebook.com/events/263444433744462/
Old 04 April 2012, 21:02   #12
jimbob

Quote:

Hi, I used your trimming and scraping trick on a dodgy keyboard I had. It worked eventually but I found it really tricky to scrape enough plastic off without then breaking the trace. The foil inside seems really delicate, the original contacts I think have some kinda carbon pad on them which is a bit tougher.

I'm afraid I can't remember exactly which line is the shift key but you might be able to spot a broken line with a magnifier glass. You can use a pencil to fill in over the exposed metal. That worked for me but it was a pretty flaky repair. If you can find some kinda conductive pen or paint that would be better.
Old 05 April 2012, 00:56   #13
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I tried in fact that trick in the past and the keyboard didn't work anymore. Luckily Tony (airey36) sold me a membrane for a couple of euros in Ebay. I would better just try to move it to it's sides and up and down. Anyway for 15 euros you can have another http://www.ebay.es/itm/Commodore-Ami...item416407ec52. Look also how yellow is yours.

Last edited by Retrofan; 05 April 2012 at 01:04.
Old 07 April 2012, 13:19   #14
d0pefish

Hey Akira mate

Sorry to see your shift key is playing up, I hope reseating/cleaning the ribbon helps, otherwise you may be after a new membrane.

The shift key was one of the keys I tested when I had finished working on your board, if you remember the Quick Brown Fox photo - as I'd removed and replaced the keyboard connector, I wanted to be sure I'd done a good job of putting it back. I'll have definitely used the left shift key when testing this as that's my typing habit, I very rarely use the right shift!

I'm pretty much positive that if cleaning/reseating the ribbon doesn't sort it, a new membrane would be your answer. Actually, you may be able to take the membrane apart and find a break, sometimes it's possible to repair them with conductive paint (like the kind you use to fix car windscreen demisters) - I fixed my A4000 keyboard this way! You can get little bottles of this at your local auto factors shop, only a few quid usually.

Otherwise it's entirely possible that I may have made a little mistake when replacing your k/b connector, maybe not enough solder on one of the pins or something - if you don't get anywhere with it, I'd be more than happy to investigate mate, obviously at my expense - least I can do
Old 07 April 2012, 16:36   #15
Akira

I doubt it's a problem from what you've done mate. I'll check re-seating it and report back. As I said, I can't do this until tomorrow or Monday!
Old 13 April 2012, 17:54   #16
Akira

Took out the connector and sat it back in place. Just in case, I slightly scraped off some more of the connectors to be on the safe side.

The left shift key works perfectly
Thanks to everyone for the help!
Old 13 April 2012, 18:06   #17
d0pefish

Congrats mate

Enjoy!
Old 13 April 2012, 18:24   #18
Akira

Yup!
Now I gotta devise a way to make the case stick back together, my last time opening it, before I took the mobo out, I managed to snap the remaining hinges :P
AdSense AdSense