English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 April 2012, 08:38   #1
Cooljerk

The damn switch on my PSU broke!

I have a functioning Amiga 1200 and a functioning Amiga 1200 PSU, but the on/off switch just broke on the damn thing. It feels like it fell off a latch or something inside the unit, and now I can flip it freely, as though it's not connected to anything. What's worse is that it's stuck in the off position, where had it been stuck in the on position, I could have just thrown it on a power strip and used that strip's on/off switch to turn the thing on or off.

Importing a new one to the US looks like it'll put me out about $30, so I figure there has to be a way to take this thing apart and reconnect the switch. Only problem is that the is no obvious way to take the PSU apart - no screws or anything on the case. Anyone got any wise ideas on how to crack this PSU open so I can repair the switch?
Old 06 April 2012, 11:41   #2
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I only have an A600 power brick. There are 2 screws on the bottom, one is near the power cord, the other is the opposite end under the warranty sticker.
Old 06 April 2012, 12:03   #3
roy bates

you will probably end up replacing the rocker switch there prone to failure,thats of course when you get inside the case.the switches are sealed units and cant really be repaired.

when you open it all youll find is the switch and two wires clipped to it on the mains end.
Old 06 April 2012, 23:34   #4
Cooljerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
you will probably end up replacing the rocker switch there prone to failure,thats of course when you get inside the case.the switches are sealed units and cant really be repaired.

when you open it all youll find is the switch and two wires clipped to it on the mains end.
K, that'll be absolutely no problem, I was kinda anticipating having to replace the entire switch, and buying a new one is cheap and easy. My main problem is actually opening the PSU... I can't find any guides online on how to crack the thing open. I'm tempted to just grab a dremel and saw the thing open, but being that it's a power supply, I don't want to screw up and ruin it. Is there any generally recognized way to open up a PSU? I've tried screaming "Open sesame!" at it but no avail.
Old 07 April 2012, 00:26   #5
roy bates

as arnie as said,there screwed together top and bottom you just need a philips no:2 screwdriver.

thats it,if you cant find them then there under a label or two.but trust me you just unscrew the case to open it.
Old 07 April 2012, 07:45   #6
Cooljerk

I promise there are no visible screws on my PSU - it is a solid white brick. It doesn't even have any labels - all the PSU info is molded into the plastic. There was a very tiny sticker at the top of the PSU, but when I removed it, there was nothing under it. I'll try and snap a photo later on when I get home, but I looked all over that thing and didn't see a single screw. Surely someone else has seen the PSU I'm describing.
Old 07 April 2012, 11:05   #7
roy bates

a photo would be nice,ive never seen one without screws.
Old 07 April 2012, 11:18   #8
diablothe2nd

sounds like a newer one made in thailand.

if there are no screws it'll be clipped internally around the join. a credit card type tool and a very thin flat piece of metal/plastic to push the clips free will be needed.

they are a pain in the arse to unclip. had the same problem taking the case off my xbox 360.
Old 07 April 2012, 13:46   #9
lifeschool
Local Moderator

I remember having to open up an old A500 PSU and found it had 4 screws under it, some where under the sticker. Then I noticed the brick had also been glued together. Then I noticed a series of internal pressure clips. Basically I unscrewed it, pushed hard on the side of it to release one side of it from the pressure clips, and then once one side was cracked open a bit I used brute strength and a bread knife to snap off the other side and the rest of the glue. P.I.T.A!

After that replacing the switch with an alternative was easy. I actually took the switch off my A2024 monitor and used that. I then used the screws to put it all back together. Sorry I can't help with your problem - looks like a cheap import as has been suggested..
Old 07 April 2012, 13:46   #10
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

How is the rocker switch held on, can it be prised off?
Old 07 April 2012, 13:49   #11
lifeschool
Local Moderator

^ It just slots in - nothing holding it in place except gravity and the case edges surrounding it. Of course you still need to prise off the case to get it out.
Old 07 April 2012, 13:57   #12
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I was thinking, maybe destroy the switch to get it out, join the wires together and use an external switch as Cooljerk suggested in post #1.