English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 March 2009, 13:26   #21
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

In theory YES. In practice I suspect no. The motherboard oscillator probably drives more chips than just the CPU which need to be at the slower rate to operate correctly. But I am not certain about the CDTV motherboard design.

I've found a place which sold kits as recently as November last year. (See link above) If you can solder you could make one for about €70 including the SCSI chip & oscillator.

The Elbox CDTV RAM card I *think* can be upgraded to 8Mbytes using fairly inexpensive ZIP RAM. But do not quote me on that. I remember an old thread with posts by Toni Wilen (who has one of these boards) either confirming or denying they could be upgraded easily.
Old 18 March 2009, 15:20   #22
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Mk1

why not turn this problem on its head?

replace the CDTV internal gubbins with an A1200, with this you get 14mhz 020 as standard + 2mb AGA Chip ram + IDE + PCMCIA for networking / CF/SD card transfering

sell on the CDTV gubbins to help finance your build

you can restructure the front to accept a proper IDE DVD/CD RW and have a much cheaper upgrade path for accelerators.

There are a number of projects on aminet that will give you an infrared port so you can with a bit of play have use of the ir keyboard / brikett thingy, you also have 2 joysticks and mousey port...

just a thought

for the money spent on CDTV upgrade, you could seriously upgrade it for possible a lot less besides I would love to see one of these done... it would be awesome.

anyway food for thought m8y

I do miss my CDTV unit.... I would of done this by now had i still had it.... I lost it in one of the subsequent house moves..... sigh....
Old 18 March 2009, 16:54   #23
mk1

Thanks, but there's something very intriging about this machine as it is, a kind of limited and unpowered home-multimedia system. And I already got an A1200 for a completely diffrent use..

But I know what you mean. Would be cool if someone built a system into a similar casing, but with a bit more beef in it. But then it would lose half the appeal that the CDTV has for me.

My original idea was to simply give the unit a slight upgrade, let's say a bit of extra memory and a few mips more with a cpu you could get with 10€ off eBay so that certain games would run slightly faster. Don't want to turn this into a complete overhaul like I did with my CD32, although I'm afraid it will happen at some point. I'm already half way there with all the external upgrades bought except for a ram card.
Old 18 March 2009, 21:33   #24
papa_november

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
fairly inexpensive ZIP RAM
ahahahahahahaha
Old 19 March 2009, 08:33   #25
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1 View Post
So in theory if I replace the oscillator on the CDTV motherboard, should there be one, with a 12mhz version the cpu could also run at 12mhz? Just my layman logic..
In theory, yes.., but you need the system schematics (Drawings of how the system works) to figure if any other systems on the CDTV use that same clock (Either same frequency, or Division/Multiplication) as a timing source.

If they do, that throws other system device clocks TOTALLY out of whack.
Old 19 March 2009, 08:56   #26
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_november View Post
Quote:
using fairly inexpensive ZIP RAM
ahahahahahahaha
A quick google and I was able to find (in high quantities) TC514400AZ-70 1Mx4 Fast Page 20-pin 70ns ZIP RAM @ $2.20 each. No doubt if I looked harder I could find them cheaper.

So for 8Mbytes that is erm... 16-chips.... ~$35 which isn't too bad??
Old 19 March 2009, 15:19   #27
mk1

Quote:
A quick google and I was able to find (in high quantities) TC514400AZ-70 1Mx4 Fast Page 20-pin 70ns ZIP RAM @ $2.20 each. No doubt if I looked harder I could find them cheaper.

So for 8Mbytes that is erm... 16-chips.... ~$35 which isn't too bad??
Yeah, not a bad price at all, but are they replaceable? I thought those chips are attached (soldered?) to the board or something..
Old 19 March 2009, 15:21   #28
mk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteb View Post
In theory, yes.., but you need the system schematics (Drawings of how the system works) to figure if any other systems on the CDTV use that same clock (Either same frequency, or Division/Multiplication) as a timing source.

Ok, this path I shall not step on.

I'm a little embarrassed how little I knew (or had forgotten) about upgrading a cpu to an Amiga after all these years.
Old 19 March 2009, 16:39   #29
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteb View Post

And they do. In the A1000/500/2000/600/CDTV just about everything is sourced from the video clock.
Old 19 March 2009, 17:41   #30
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
but are they replaceable?
Not without soldering.

Quote:
I thought those chips are attached (soldered?) to the board or something..
They are but 2 mins with soldering iron, solder braid and you'd have them replaced.
Old 19 March 2009, 18:52   #31
mk1

Quote:
Not without soldering.

They are but 2 mins with soldering iron, solder braid and you'd have them replaced.
Sounds dangerous. I've never soldered in my life so I think I'd just leave them the way they are.

I think I'll just go for the 2mb version and be happy with that. After all, I doubt there's much speed increase in those CDTV games from 3 megs to 8 megs of fast ram.
Old 19 March 2009, 21:25   #32
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Not much sense in expand the memory if you just want to use the original CDTV games.

They will work ok with the original vanilla machine.
Old 20 March 2009, 09:15   #33
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The idea I would imagine would be to run WHDload games from CD where you need extra RAM.
Old 20 March 2009, 10:31   #34
mk1

There's some 3d stuff, like simulators that would benefit from some extra kick.

I'm not so much interested in WHD, so that's why I was mainly upgrading the CPU and not the memory, just to make things run a little faster. Since I bought a bunch of disk based games extra memory might come in handy after all..