English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. AMOS

Old 22 January 2018, 21:12   #1
volvo_0ne

2 Icon/object banks?

I appreciate that you can only have one object/icon bank at a given time, but does anyone know of a fast work-around to the problem as loading times are critical?

I thought about pre loading them to ramdisk and loading them from there but it's rather fiddly and not ideal for low memory systems.

I *could* have all the items in one large icon/object bank, but I do some grabbing during my program, which make the manipulation awkward again.

Any ideas gladly recieved

TIA
V1
Old 23 January 2018, 08:50   #2
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Bank Swap is useful....
Old 23 January 2018, 09:40   #3
idrougge

Yes, Bank Swap.
Old 23 January 2018, 19:55   #4
volvo_0ne

Thanks guys, for some reason I didn't think that would work, but it works perfectly.

Much appreciated

V1
Old 28 January 2018, 23:33   #5
volvo_0ne

I Knew there was a reason...

If you try to load an object/Icon bank from disk to anywhere other than the same kind, it will not work so you need to load then swap then load again which works a treat.

Thanks guys
Old 29 January 2018, 00:42   #6
idrougge

You can load one bank as sprites/bobs and one as icons and swap between them — at least basically. There may be some snags when AMOS treats your sprites as icons or vice versa.
Old 24 April 2018, 10:06   #7
Brick Nash
Prototron

I always felt that the singular image bank was one of Amos' weak points. Some sort of structured and order-movable folder type system for the images instead of just one huge container for absolutely everything would be a bit easier to keep track of. I realise that's just how things were back in the day, but maybe something for a future update?

In fact, I'm wondering just how hard it would be to write an extension that does this which is built on top of the existing image bank number system as a foundation? The theory would be pretty straightforward - make nameable containers with slots allocated to numbers in the image bank. If Folder 1 is images 0-9 and Folder 2 is images 10-20, then if Folder 2 was moved to Folder 1's position then the image numbers would be swapped (if that's even possible....I think it might be).

Adding an image slot into a Folder (Making say Folder 2 images 10-21) would activate some sort of nudge system where everything after in all folders would be shifted up an image number. This would probably render the image bank's numbers largely invisible unless specifically called on.

Some sort of GUI using Icons could maybe represent it on screen and some custom functions and instruction for animation to make use of the system.

I'm probably talking bullshit, but it's just an idea.