English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 02 June 2016, 14:38   #1
TVPaint

Arrow TVPaint Is Celebrating 25 Years !

Hello,

TVPaint Is Celebrating 25 Years !!
http://www.tvpaint.com/newsletter/en...etter1606.html

Moderators, this is NOT a spam topic, there are still people here who didn't forgot that TVPaint started its story on Amiga !

Have a great day Amiga community !

Bests,
Fabrice.

Old 02 June 2016, 17:32   #2
Aegis
Gentleman

Congrats on the anniversary! I still use TVPaint 3.59 on my (emulated) Amiga and Mirage on PC
Old 02 June 2016, 21:31   #3
TVPaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
Congrats on the anniversary! I still use TVPaint 3.59 on my (emulated) Amiga and Mirage on PC
Thanks,

I thought about doing an other video with the various evolutions of the TVPaint interface & options during the last 25 years !
Will see if we have an intern ready to do so this summer

Old 02 June 2016, 22:09   #4
kamelito
Zone Friend

No discount for your anniversary?
Is Hervé Adam still around?
I remember a demo he was doing on an Amiga show in Paris where he was hiding the A3000 tower and kidding about the fact that it was not running under Amiga.
IIRC Atacom Paris were helping TVPaint development.
Now how about releasing Wild Copper demos sources codes and datas?
A port of TVPaint for AmigaNG and releasing the source code of TVPaint for classic Amigas, with a licence just allowing update for Classics.
If your willing to port TVPaint for AmigaNG I'm sure we could find a talented developer for the port.

Bon anniversaire !
Kamelito
Old 02 June 2016, 22:46   #5
TVPaint

Hi Kamelito,

Thanks !

Some answers :

There should be a discount this summer, just register to our Newsletter.

Quote:
Is Hervé Adam still around?
I remember a demo he was doing on an Amiga show in Paris where he was hiding the A3000 tower and kidding about the fact that it was not running under Amiga.
old good times.
Almost 25 years after that most of the main people of the TVPaint Team are still working here at TVPaint Développement.

About releasing the Wild Copper sources, I'm not sure we still have them, sorry.
Maybe, I will check. I worked on some demos too, but I don't think have the sources anymore.

Regarding a port of TVPaint on a specific platform, well ... this is quite an expensive and time consumming task that can only be done within the TVPaint office.
And we need to keep focus on our current activities, because there is a lot to do to stay in the market !
That said, TVPaint 3.59 is still free.

Regarding a release of the source code, many people asked us about it.
There would be a lot of legal issues, so I don't think it would be done in the future, sorry.

Old 02 June 2016, 23:59   #6
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPaint View Post
Regarding a port of TVPaint on a specific platform, well ... this is quite an expensive and time consumming task that can only be done within the TVPaint office.
And we need to keep focus on our current activities, because there is a lot to do to stay in the market !
That said, TVPaint 3.59 is still free.
Number of Android users in the low billions
Number of Windows users in the hundreds of millions
Number of iOS users in the low hundreds of millions
Number of MacOS users in the tens of millions
Number of Linux users in the tens of millions
Number of Amiga users in the tens of thousands
Number of AmigaOS 4 users in the low thousands

Thanks for remembering your Amiga heritage and making TVPaint 3.59 available for Amigas. It is very professional software, especially considering its age. I fully understand wanting to keep your product in house as it is easier to maintain quality and has less potential for problems. Thanks for being open about your products. Yes, the AmigaOS is not currently a large enough market to be profitable. Since you have been open already though, about how many users or hardware sales/year are necessary to consider a specific platform? What kind of hardware specs are required? Any other considerations?

Last edited by matthey; 03 June 2016 at 00:13.
Old 03 June 2016, 01:27   #7
TVPaint

Well, we can't make calculation with only the number of people on each OS.
Some exemples to illustrate:

1) people using Linux are maybe less than others, but you have big animation studios in California who are ready to pay quite a lot of money to stay on Linux (because of the reliability, security, ...).

2) Working on IOS means giving between 30% and 35% of your income to Apple + it's a pretty closed platform so everything becomes complicated like generating our classical .tvp files that may not be accepted by the system.

3) We need a good support from the Tablet makers (hardware + drivers) , which is complicated on MacOS and Android f.i (but we have found some solutions, ok).

4) Some recent platforms are not ready yet to support all our technology (no CTG layer on Android yet or too slow to be used in an user-friendly way).

5) Remember than supporting an OS is also supporting it on all countries. Windows dev is complicated when you have to deal with asian langages and their OS/keyboard specificities.

Regarding the specs, we don't need any 3D card, TVPaint is only (multi) CPU based.
So you need :
-good CPU (2K video > 2 cores) (4K videos > 4 or more core)
-some memory (8 Gb or more is good, but less can work too)
-a fast HD or better a SSD.

it works fine on my laptop which is already 3 years old.

Old 03 June 2016, 01:35   #8
amiman99

So...How does one get the free old TVPaint...? I never used this software and would like to try it.
Old 03 June 2016, 02:05   #9
André

Try the following link:

http://www.tvpaint.com/forum_attachment/TVPaint.zip
Old 03 June 2016, 02:08   #10
matthey
Banned

@TVPaint
Thanks for the insight. It makes sense to consider how difficult and expensive it is to port to different platforms also. Interesting to see that some of the big names make mistakes although I'm not surprised. Maybe the Amiga owners will get a clue some day and this info could help. Good luck with your business.
Old 03 June 2016, 11:59   #11
TVPaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
Interesting to see that some of the big names make mistakes although I'm not surprised.
What do you mean exactly ? I'm not sure to get the idea behind the sentence.

Old 03 June 2016, 20:40   #12
matthey
Banned

Quote:
What do you mean exactly ? I'm not sure to get the idea behind the sentence.
Apple could have more developers and users for iOS if they were more open, less restrictive and didn't charge for everything. Maybe they are happy with the high end market where the profit margins are better as they aren't even trying to compete with Android for overall market share. Same thing with Mac OSX where Apple could take Microsoft share but they prefer the high profit market. Microsoft made a mistake introducing Windows 8 with a user interface that no one liked and practically threatening users to upgrade but I didn't see competitors even trying to take advantage. Microsoft software APIs have been poor considering they are primarily a software company but Microsoft fails in so many ways I don't think I need to elaborate. Not all of the big players are as lost. Google is tech savvy with reasonable goals and has mostly accomplished what they want to do. Android could be better but it was the right idea and good enough to gain market share.

Of course, the little guys make mistakes but often disappear before most people here of them. Take the Amiga for example. The guys at Hyperion who develop the AmigaOS 4 for the PPC were forced into bankruptcy but were saved by A-EON, one of their partners. The philosophy has not changed though. They try to market the AmigaOS and computers for the shrinking desktop market only and for PPC which only has old and sometimes handicapped embedded processors available in low production numbers. Their computers cost 5-10 times as much as an equivalently powered standard PC so they only sell a few thousand computers to a rich Amiga niche market. Maybe the hardware is profitable by charging enough but I doubt it is sustainable once the users realize that a tiny market isn't attractive to software developers. Don't expect the diehard users that are left to give up on asking though. As sad as the Amiga situation has deteriorated into, the Amiga still has potential. The Natami FPGA based retro hardware bringup thread (http://www.natami.net/knowledge.php?b=1&note=33366) has 753954 views despite never going into production showing there is still interest with the right product for the masses instead of the classes. Maybe the next Amiga owners will be smarter.
Old 03 June 2016, 21:29   #13
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
2) Working on IOS means giving between 30% and 35% of your income to Apple
Wow, another reason to ban Crapple
Old 28 June 2016, 13:00   #14
debiani386
New generation Amiga user

Never heard of tvpaint until I saw this post a few days ago. It very quickly became one of my favorite paint programs as I can adjust the drawing page to something smaller/larger than my screen resolution easily (if that can be done in digipant/personal paint, I have yet to figure it out). Plus, it also seems to support my cybervision card.

And there is a linux version of tvpaint
Old 28 June 2016, 13:53   #15
idrougge

It's easy to have a larger work space in PPaint. Smaller is a different question, you may have to save as brush then.
Old 28 June 2016, 14:07   #16
kamelito
Zone Friend

Yes just check their homepage. Win/Mac/Linux. (64bit for Win/Linux for now)
Kamelito