English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 November 2013, 19:41   #1
fatboy

Emulated Amiga Systems

Having got pretty much every classic system emulated on my PC the most disappointingly empty experience is the Amiga

Now before I get burnt at the stake for such blasphemy Amiga emulation on the PC is of the highest quality, stable and smooth running. However try as I might I just don't like it!

MAME, MESS, FUSION, SPECTACULATOR, 4DO, FBA, NullDC and every other emulator I can happily enjoy the retro gaming experience on my PC....BUT Amiga???....nope, just doesn't do it for me

Thankfully I have a REAL Amiga attached to a 15inch TV and it's totally more enjoyable experience!!!!

I know I'm not alone in this.
Old 07 November 2013, 20:02   #2
onkelarie

Well, I think you simply enojy the experience of real Amiga hardware and thus find the super-smooth-pretty-much-flawless emulation not on par with the real deal.... Why should you be burnt at the stake for that opinion?
Old 08 November 2013, 07:10   #3
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Never personally been all that bothered. Benefits using both. Playing using winaue via a pc for me automatically feels like I'm using a modern Amiga because I'm running it from a machine that is modern and therefore feels connected and not souless as a result. In that sense I'd very much argue that using a real Amiga feels a bit disconnected. It's similar when I use XBOX Winuae because that's also not connected as such in the same way a pc feels. Can't beat a crt though but I can live with the tradeoff
Old 11 November 2013, 00:10   #4
Devlin
Bane of Magic

I actually like taking advantage of the best of both worlds in emulation!
My WinUAE setup is an almost 1:1 match to my real hardware in terms of config (the hard disk in my amiga is identical to winuae and vice/versa) with a few config tweaks to make it behave better and more seamlessly with my windows desktop
Old 14 November 2013, 19:06   #5
bladecgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlin View Post
My WinUAE setup is an almost 1:1 match to my real hardware in terms of config (the hard disk in my amiga is identical to winuae and vice/versa) with a few config tweaks to make it behave better and more seamlessly with my windows desktop
Same here and it's great to have best of both worlds.

Fatboy, what exactly do you not like about emulated Amiga? What do you like about MESS for instance?
Old 15 November 2013, 10:01   #6
Mark36

Obviously nothing beats real hardware but imo Winuae is now very close to the real thing. There used to be issues with emulation like 50hz scrolling which is now achievable through hdmi and this gave me the idea of building a HTPC with pretty much every emulator going. Its the practical side that sways me over to emulation and the fact I can game on the amiga with a xbox 360 controller