English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 25 June 2012, 21:12   #1
rampartsagain

Big grin Format cfcard block 0 error on win7 under winuae

Dear Friends i am freaking out, i always formated cfcard on my other laptop with win vista and card reader now on my new one, and on the desktop ,with the card reader i can´t format it , when in hdtool low format drive appears message error on block 0 erase all partitions,
i know i am doing everything ok - disableharrdrvesafety check ,format fat and what i think is going wrong is that on winuae adding the cfcard shows drive letter n/a ,also using IDE0 on add harddrive does anybody had this issue ???

Last edited by rampartsagain; 26 June 2012 at 17:47.
Old 25 June 2012, 21:19   #2
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

hi mate have a look at my guides in my sig the sfs 1 show how to remove the partitions from the cf and how to setup
Old 25 June 2012, 21:24   #3
rampartsagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnim View Post
hi mate have a look at my guides in my sig the sfs 1 show how to remove the partitions from the cf and how to setup

hi friend can you put the link i am going nuts
Old 25 June 2012, 22:12   #4
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

sfs cf guide http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=61048 cwb3.9 guidehttp://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=61180

yes mate it in every post i do at the bottom use sfs ver 2
Old 25 June 2012, 22:20   #5
fgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampartsagain View Post
Dear Friends i am freaking out, i always formated cfcard on my other laptop with win vista and card reader now on my new one, and on the desktop ,with the card reader i can´t format it , when in hdtool low format drive appears message error on block 0 erase all partitions,
i know i am doing everything ok - disableharrdrvesafety check ,format fat and what i think is going wrong is that on winuae adding the cfcard shows drive letter n/a ,also using IDE0 on add harddrive does anybody had this issue ???
I answered you in the other thread three days ago. You need to remove the windows partitions from your card.
(And you never need to do a low level format on flash media. Not even a full format, just use quick format.)
Old 25 June 2012, 23:40   #6
rampartsagain

i cleaned with disk part but card became windows ghosted
Old 26 June 2012, 00:12   #7
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

hi to use in the amiga the cf needs nothing on it and windows will not see it. you need to set it up now for amiga use see the rest of my guide.
Old 26 June 2012, 02:00   #8
rampartsagain

thanks johnim i will do it now i am on work as soon as i can i will do it must be some configuration ,others say is the usb card reader the true is that with my last card reader and win vista all worked exccellent but reader broked and now i have a new one ,something missing me ......
Old 26 June 2012, 17:39   #9
rampartsagain

Big grin

JESUS i am the man i found the problem guys thanks for the help but i used a utility hdd low level format and it worked
the best of it is free
formated went to the emu and when in hdtoolbobox made a amiga low level format and no message reboot quick format and voila ,please pass message to all

Thanks guys for the help and thanks to me

no more hair pullouts

edit:but first of all i had formated uder windows as fat then used hdd low level format util
Old 26 June 2012, 23:36   #10
fgh

Glad you got it working, but there is no need to tell anyone about that particular procedure, for the following reasons:

1: There is no such thing (technically) as a low level format of a CF card.
Always use quick format, especially with empty flash media.
Writing to every block with a full format will make every block 'used', and the cards wear-leveling mechanisms will become less effective from that point on.
(Also, the amiga OS format function fails when doing a full format above a drive's first 4GB.)

2: You could have successfully mounted the card in WinUAE after using diskpart.
I's supposed to be ghosted in Windows, that's the whole point.
WinUAE denying your write attempts is a security feature to avoid people damaging their windows partitions from amiga OS.

Boa noite!
Old 26 June 2012, 23:47   #11
rampartsagain

hihihhi Boa Noite for you too
i think it really was the low format level under windows ,that in my opinion formated all the info in the card ,format under normal windows kind of have always info inside about fat and fat32 transfer speeds size limit and when in hdtool try to format it says already got partitions under block 0 ,but i think this thread should be usefull to others
big hugh for you fgh for your mail
Old 27 June 2012, 05:21   #12
stefcep2

Be careful. Some cards that behave like this are fake. They appear to work well for a while then strange errors and data loss occur.
Old 27 June 2012, 08:37   #13
fgh

Some cards are indeed fake, but the 'error' encountered here was the safety feature of WinUAE to disallow writes to drives with active windows partitions, nothing else.

Rampartsagain: Yes, your 'low level format' might have unmounted the CF card's partitions, but again this is a terrible way to do it. Next time just clean the card with diskpart.
Old 27 June 2012, 08:50   #14
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Actually that error is not exactly WinUAE safety feature, it only checks if write attempt succeeded.

Windows does not allow direct write access if drive has active PC partition tables.

EDIT: Before this check was introduced hdtoolbox would return some strange error which was even more confusing.
Old 27 June 2012, 11:55   #15
fgh

Ok thanks Toni.
When I read the thread discussing the removal of the disableharddrivesafetycheck option I understood it to be a WinUAE feature, but I happily stand corrected

The main points above should remain valid..
Old 27 June 2012, 11:57   #16
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

disableharddrivesafetycheck would not have helped. It only allowed WinUAE to attempt write accesses, even if drive has mounted NTFS partitions.

Windows would still not have allowed it
Old 28 June 2012, 04:13   #17
rampartsagain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgh View Post
Some cards are indeed fake, but the 'error' encountered here was the safety feature of WinUAE to disallow writes to drives with active windows partitions, nothing else.

Rampartsagain: Yes, your 'low level format' might have unmounted the CF card's partitions, but again this is a terrible way to do it. Next time just clean the card with diskpart.
when i used diskpart not even card on windows was ghosted as didn´t even appear under winuae ,since if it doesn´t appear on the system is not detected by winuae as a device,i don´t know if is safe or not but i used it worked and i have no complain till now,so until i have another software that really clean all partitions and info on cf cards i will use this.

since that i am more relaxed