English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 05 April 2020, 04:37   #1
klx300r

Unhappy need help to see external HD from CLI using Kick & WB1.3

so I have an external HD atop my Amiga 1000...real one that has a controller side car....was working great up to few minutes ago stupid me shut it off after a failed boot attempt while LED was on for a good little while and of course next boot the dreaded 'NOT A DOS DISK' error and bamn stuck in CLI..no problem right let me just grab my WB1.3 disk and go from there BUT no not this time as getting errors 122, 125 ...DF0 or DF1 doesn't exist???
seems I'm stuck stuck in this loop where Kick 1.3 loads up the HD driver and expects to load WB from external HD....tried an older kick 1.2 but it can't see the HD controller so can't run Quarter Back or DiskDoctor etc....
any way I can get access to the HD from CLI/ bootable disk etc
Old 05 April 2020, 04:51   #2
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

I think a mount list from your old boot disk is needed and whatever device your hard disk is in devs: maybe?

Sorry, I'm not that experienced with Kickstart 1.3 but I think it uses FastFilesystem for hard drives only and the original filesystem for floppies.

I hope some of this helps.
Old 05 April 2020, 04:55   #3
klx300r

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
I think a mount list from your old boot disk is needed and whatever device your hard disk is in devs: maybe?

Sorry, I'm not that experienced with Kickstart 1.3 but I think it uses FastFilesystem for hard drives only and the original filesystem for floppies.

I hope some of this helps.

ya that's the problem though..in WB1.3..I'm stuck in a catch22... you have to mount the device before it can be seen by the scsi controller and AmigaOS..I can boot A1000 up without the scsi driver but this doesn't help me try to fix the bootable HD.
Old 05 April 2020, 05:02   #4
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Ah! It boots straight from the hard drive. You mentioned kick 1.2 and it had to bootstrap from DF0: only and transfer control to the hard drive from there. 1.3 was the first kickstart to support direct booting from the hard disk.

If you have a rigid disk block on the hard drive, GiggleDisk from the Aminet can read the geometry and create a mount list. I don't know if it works with 1.3 but it is worth a shot.
Old 05 April 2020, 05:12   #5
klx300r

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
Ah! It boots straight from the hard drive. You mentioned kick 1.2 and it had to bootstrap from DF0: only and transfer control to the hard drive from there. 1.3 was the first kickstart to support direct booting from the hard disk.

If you have a rigid disk block on the hard drive, GiggleDisk from the Aminet can read the geometry and create a mount list. I don't know if it works with 1.3 but it is worth a shot.

ok thats a start thanks! When I checked Aminet I specifically searched for KS1.2/1.3 so missed this one that needs 2.1...back down to the mancave to dig up my old kick & WB 2.1 that I used for my A500....fingers crossed this could get my original 20MB MFM XT-IDE drive back up again