English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 July 2017, 11:49   #21
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
How did you get so much RAM into your Furia? Mine tops out at 9,5 MB.
Using the furiatune addmem command in your startup sequence unlocks another 1.5 megs of ram.
Old 25 July 2017, 12:49   #22
idrougge

Yes, hence the 9,5 MB. But Coderian claims to have 13,5 MB.
Old 25 July 2017, 13:07   #23
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coderian View Post
Hi, I'm new here(1st post).. I just got the furia v2 accelerator (33mhz version) and after some struggling to fit in in I finally got it in and here are my experiences:
When I start a600 with ram wait switch OFF then board works perfect (so far) but the infosys shows about 5400 dhrystones, pcmcia works perfect under 9.5mb fast ram
When the ram wait jumper is on then weird things happens:
While no pcmcia card in when accessing workbench partition a600 will freeze... with pcmcia card in it will start and work perfectly and it shows 13.5mb fast ram and no access to pcmcia!!!??? If I start a600 without CF card in then it shows 9.5 and once inserted I can access the card(all cards will work np) now the sysinfo shows 6584 dhrystones (ram wait on) and pcmcia speed is over 3mbs and CF-HDD is 1.45 mbs. The 13.5 fast shows in sysinfo as: 8 mb fast ram 24bit,1 mb slow ram 24bit,4 mb fast ram public (no 24bit and no dma) and 2mb CHiP ram 24bit. I haven't tried furiatune application yet but so far as long as I have pcmcia adapter plugged in I can run ram wait on and top speed machine np. Let me know what u think, so far I'm really impressed with it as it runs as fast as my a1200 with microbotics 030 at 40mhz. I don't have 3.1 Rom yet but I can't wait to try doom with graffiti driver as I also have indivision ecs!!!

Hello Coderian.

I had ALOT of troubles with the FURIA V2 and now i finally can give some helpfull advice (hopefully)

1) GET rid of those CF cards/Adapters. The Furia Hate those !!!! I tried a few Adapters/cards. None runs 100% stable. so GET A SD ADAPTER !!!!!

2) Some Whdload games when you exit them, drop the Furia in a endless Reboot !!!! (for example, Deluxe PacMan ecs)

Just run the game nativ when possible ( i would NEVER use the WHDLOAD version for Lionheart for example ) AND or Search for another version/ slave ect.

Tooltypes that are usefull with the Furia.

CACHE - Some games struggeling without this option.
NOCACHE - Some games HATE when CHACHE is used ( only trial and error helps)

NoAutoVec - Can help for games with Sound problems and stuff
NoResINT - I have to use this tooltype in THE LAST CRUSADE ADVENTURE and mybe some other game - so keep that in mind. (it wont run native on my Furia ... has timing issues -- thats why i use whdload here)

Hope that helped a little bit. anyway, the main point is,
GET yourself a SD to IDE adapter !!!! believe me. Greetings Nibbler
Old 25 July 2017, 18:21   #24
Coderian

Thank you NIbbler , this actually helps because i spent 12 hours and i had constant freezing all this time, it worked (I thought) ok when I fitted it in but problem started very soon after. The 13.5mb I claimed 4 of these came from CF card( furia map it wrong) this card should NOT be used as Ram or I was told that actually furia got 16mb but lock some of it away at start so it could be that CF card forced to access some of that? Not sure but it only happens on hi-speed sandisk 4gb card. Now I can't figure out why the freezing occurs but I think you are right. CF carts are no go with furia v2 (white board) I have ad card adapter but I can't get it to work either as I don't have any card that would be rocognized by it and the HHD light is always on but I will continue testing with sd adapter as I find the way furia works now I rather remove it and have a stable machine. I'll let you know what happens but in the meantime if anyone has any suggestions then please let me know. I should add I run original 600 roms(waiting for 3.1)...
Edit: which SD card are u using? and I found on eBay an additional board that plugs between mobo and SD adapter to get the HHD led to work properly, are u using straight SD adapter on a600 and if yes is your hhd led on all the time? Thank you!!

Last edited by Coderian; 25 July 2017 at 20:30.
Old 25 July 2017, 20:10   #25
Coderian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Yes, hence the 9,5 MB. But Coderian claims to have 13,5 MB.
Actually when I do addmem I get 11mb, have not tried yet with CF in, the 4bg Sandisk high speed card is shown as additional 4bg ram for some reason that's why when I started a600 with it inserted I get 13.5 but sysinfo shows it as 4gb non 24bit/non DMA. I think it is one of the problems with card detection with furia. What I don't understand why my CF cards work while I got 9.5 ram, am I suppose to do long reset to get 5 megs in order to use CF cards? Also my original roms 37.3 allowed me to format 4gb in partitions bigger than 2 I got one partition 3gb in it but it was done b4 I got furia and all this time worked perfectly but furia now is giving me a lot of trouble. I'm about to get some new SD cards and take Nibblers advice, hopefully one of them will work. ( only tried one )
Old 25 July 2017, 20:15   #26
Akira

Quote:
am I suppose to do long reset to get 5 megs in order to use CF cards?
Yes, as is, not all Fúria RAM is compatible with PCMCIA usage.

But you can follow this post and use what's described to make it compatible:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=226
Old 25 July 2017, 20:28   #27
Coderian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Yes, as is, not all Fúria RAM is compatible with PCMCIA usage.

But you can follow this post and use what's described to make it compatible:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=226
Thank you! I'm about check all other options to make this card stable. I didn't realize that there could be another furia thread here, I hope I didn't steal somebody's else's ... if I did then forgive me...
Old 25 July 2017, 20:55   #28
Akira

There's many Fúria threads, use the search function writing "Furia' and ticking the "search only titles" option. You'll find them that way.
Old 25 July 2017, 22:06   #29
idrougge

Quote:
Now I can't figure out why the freezing occurs but I think you are right. CF carts are no go with furia v2 (white board)
I have used a Sandisk 1 GB card with my white Furia for six months or so.

I would be more concerned about the fact that your system is reporting more memory than is possible for an Amiga with EC020 processor.
Old 25 July 2017, 23:45   #30
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

Quote:
Thank you NIbbler , this actually helps because i spent 12 hours and i had constant freezing all the time .
Edit: which SD card are u using? and I found on eBay an additional board that plugs between mobo and SD adapter to get the HHD led to work properly, are u using straight SD adapter on a600 and if yes is your hhd led on all the time? Thank you!!

Oh yeah , tell me about freezes on the white board .... It was a looooong way.

Finally stable , the rest is some whdload slaves that the furia has trouble with. ( maybe a conflict between the slave rom "emu" and the furia rom feature, something like that )

To the questions.

SD card is a kingston 4gb , setup via winuae with pfs3 aio filesystem. (no photo,sorry, my amiga is closed)

I use a short Ide cable that goes straight into the adapter. The Adapter sends the power status to the 600er HD Led.
( a actual loading led is on the adapter that works . The adapter just sends the status we are not "interested in")

Call me crazy, but i actually like it by now, and the red power source led with the blue loading led from the adapter shine through the gaps from the 600 and look quiet nice in the dark

I have photos of the sd adapter i use, but i am on a console right now.._ post later.

For getting the furio off board ? No way. That baby is tight !! Never put the Furia off board.

Its a bitchy card for sure but man, the memory speed is off the charts for a no vampire 600.

Just incredible, and a essential for whdload, demos n stuff, without a vampire.
If you know to handle the whiteboard beast its a tread.

My real complain is that it should be stated not to use CF cards with the whiteboard furia.

Last edited by Nibbler; 25 July 2017 at 23:54.
Old 26 July 2017, 00:10   #31
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

Advice to turn off the ide boost !!! That works only on A300 boards with gary rev0 if i remember correctly .

IDE on leeds to freeze!!!! and get a IDE to SD adapter, seriously !
Old 26 July 2017, 03:50   #32
Coderian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
Advice to turn off the ide boost !!! That works only on A300 boards with gary rev0 if i remember correctly .

IDE on leeds to freeze!!!! and get a IDE to SD adapter, seriously !
Thank you all for your help (double thanks to you!)
I got SD Adaptet and first card I picked at the store (16gb) working perfectly!!!!! (It's only formatted to 8gb but who cares!!)
The furia is super stable, indivision ESC too, everything works and I'm very happy as I have a sentiment to this machine as it was my first hard disk Amiga after 500 and for me personally it was huge to have a HD in an Amiga and extra ram for samples. I used it till it got red hot every day and even my first MIDI setups were on it. But now I want to dig into combining it with graffiti chunky mode to push it to maximum. I wonder if I can get doom running faster that on my 1200 030 and to be honest as a600 is a native PAL machine it does better with older games and actually Elite Frontier seems slightly faster on it! Thank you all for your help and I'll keep posted. I'm going to try load kickstart to ram as I need newer libraries for doom so thank you for the code from the previous page. Cheers!!
Old 26 July 2017, 06:56   #33
Akira

There is no way Doom will run faster than an 030 A1200. Doom doesn't even run well on a fast 030.
Old 26 July 2017, 08:29   #34
Coderian

Quote:
There is no way Doom will run faster than an 030 A1200. Doom doesn't even run well on a fast 030.
Not in c2p conversion but in emulated graffiti chunk mode on indivision ecs it should. 030 at 25 MHz on a600 with emulated graffiti on indyECS works very very well, much faster than on my 1200 030 at 40 MHz, furia is as fast if not faster than 030 so on a600 shouldn't be much difference, both 030 and 020 still use 16bit (slow) bus but that's where graffiti comes to speed things up. Check this video:
https://youtu.be/p_K9q3pUcsk

Edit : actually latest doomatack runs on my 1200 not bad at all, right on the edge of fun/playable in low detail and lowest resolution of course, amigadoom version is much slower...

Last edited by Coderian; 26 July 2017 at 08:40.
Old 26 July 2017, 11:56   #35
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

Quote:

Dont underestimate the Furia. Its faster than some 030 cards.
The Memory speed of this thing is just incredible with 17,01 MB/s !!!! and just like Jay Miner said ... its the Memory bandwidth ...

[ Show youtube player ]

(skip to min 27:20 ... timestamp dosent seem to work here)

thats why even Nemac IV run pretty well on that little beast and demos like this runs suuuper smooth. (just a example.. there are so many..)
[ Show youtube player ] ( the video is not from the furia )

(just a example but its the crazy fast memory that make this and other demos run like hot butter on the Furia )

I dont know about Doom tho. It has to deal with the 16Bit Chipmem bandwith in the OCS/ECS Amigas and that slows down DOOM ATTACK by half...no fun.
I mean, sure its fun to see doom on the amiga but there are native and exclusive amiga games like Nemac IV, Gloom,Trapped ,ect .
(those are grafitti compatible)

Anyway. I am really glad youre A600 is stable now.

Last edited by Nibbler; 26 July 2017 at 16:41. Reason: Typos like usual n´ stuff
Old 26 July 2017, 14:45   #36
EzdineG

Quote:
Not in c2p conversion but in emulated graffiti chunk mode on indivision ecs it should. 030 at 25 MHz on a600 with emulated graffiti on indyECS works very very well, much faster than on my 1200 030 at 40 MHz, furia is as fast if not faster than 030 so on a600 shouldn't be much difference, both 030 and 020 still use 16bit (slow) bus but that's where graffiti comes to speed things up.

Don't you need an MMU to be able to use that graffiti emulation? The ECS couldn't be used to run DOOM in that mode on a Furia.
Old 26 July 2017, 16:41   #37
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
Hello Coderian.

I had ALOT of troubles with the FURIA V2 and now i finally can give some helpfull advice (hopefully)

1) GET rid of those CF cards/Adapters. The Furia Hate those !!!! I tried a few Adapters/cards. None runs 100% stable. so GET A SD ADAPTER !!!!!

2) Some Whdload games when you exit them, drop the Furia in a endless Reboot !!!! (for example, Deluxe PacMan ecs)

Just run the game nativ when possible ( i would NEVER use the WHDLOAD version for Lionheart for example ) AND or Search for another version/ slave ect.

Tooltypes that are usefull with the Furia.

CACHE - Some games struggeling without this option.
NOCACHE - Some games HATE when CHACHE is used ( only trial and error helps)

NoAutoVec - Can help for games with Sound problems and stuff
NoResINT - I have to use this tooltype in THE LAST CRUSADE ADVENTURE and mybe some other game - so keep that in mind. (it wont run native on my Furia ... has timing issues -- thats why i use whdload here)

Hope that helped a little bit. anyway, the main point is,
GET yourself a SD to IDE adapter !!!! believe me. Greetings Nibbler

1. The Furia doesnt hate CF cards, but it is picky about what it will use, as the speed of the card is pushed as fast as it can go, according to the maker, he sacrificed some compatibility with cheaper cards. I have used 3 Furia's and NONE of them worked with cheaper cards, the second i put a UDMA compliant Sandisk card in there, it's worked a treat, with no issues whatsover. Dont get an SD adapter, they have their advantages, but they dont have the same compliance as some CF cards, and alot of the heavy lifting, is moved from the controller.

2. What? this NEVER happened to me, at all, despite using 3 of them, for over 12 months.

The Furia is a good little card, but you need :

1. A good CF card, and i mean a good one, of known quality, Transcend and Kingston wont cut it.

2. A good filesystem, the amount of trouble i had with a Furia and FFS was shocking, the second i formatted partition with PFS3 it was mint, and i mean rock solid.

Take it from me, this will get your sh!t in a pile.

Old 26 July 2017, 16:51   #38
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

Hi.

CF Cards: Its not impossible that some CF cards my work with the whiteboard furia (i tried a Sandisc,Transcent and a cheap max...something)

The best was the Sandisc but still there where freezes sometimes.

So, its pretty much a gamble at this point. Other people gave up on CF on whiteboard a while ago.

I would prefer using a CF but the hassle isnt worth it in my case.
This may all depend on the Motherboard Rev you have and what furia you got. It not that simple.

WHDLOAD. Yeah, thre are a few slaves that causes trouble with the furia.
Like you said. Its not the most compatible card. But there are ways around that.

Filesystem: Yeah, PPF3 is a must !
Old 26 July 2017, 16:56   #39
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
Hi.

CF Cards: Its not impossible that some CF cards my work with the whiteboard furia (i tried a Sandisc,Transcent and a cheap max...something)

The best was the Sandisc but still there where freezes sometimes.

So, its pretty much a gamble at this point. Other people gave up on CF on whiteboard a while ago.

I would prefer using a CF but the hassle isnt worth it in my case.
This may all depend on the Motherboard Rev you have and what furia you got. It not that simple.

WHDLOAD. Yeah, thre are a few slaves that causes trouble with the furia.
Like you said. Its not the most compatible card. But there are ways around that.

Filesystem: Yeah, PPF3 is a must !

yeah, you might have a point.

I switched to a really good Sandisk card, PFS3 .... and all the problems went up in smoke.

Old 26 July 2017, 17:12   #40
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

Lucky you

PS: oohh all my horrible typos sorry guys...