English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 11 April 2002, 18:34   #1
vivash

Odyssey

I downloaded Odyssey from here a few days ago, and I thought everything was fine. Until I found the orb that allows you to turn into a spider. When I tried to use it, it played the change animation, but then I vanished - i.e. the sprite's not there. When I change back, my character comes back, but I can't play this game as an invisible spider!
Any ideas?

Old 11 April 2002, 18:59   #2
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

I have played Odyssey a lot and I think in my version the spider was visible.
I am not sure what spieder you mean: the one that can walk along the walls or the one that is more a grasshopper ?
My crack is by LSD, btw., and I had to remove their intro to make it work on my A-500.
Do you play it on a real Amiga or emulator ? ( WinUAE ?, Fellow ? )
Old 11 April 2002, 20:18   #3
vivash

Sorry, I should have provided more info. I'm running on WinUAE the adf I got from pe2000.net. The spider is the one that walks along walls, yes.

The WinUAE I'm trying is the most recent one.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem (faulty adf) or otherwise what config they're using.

Old 12 April 2002, 00:16   #4
Walker

Looks like it's working with WinUAE 0.8.8 R8, ECS30 config.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	odyssey_s8.gif
Views:	441
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	2169  
Old 12 April 2002, 11:12   #5
vivash

Cheers, I'll give that a try later

(the screenshot shows the grasshopper thing though, not the spider).

Old 12 April 2002, 21:40   #6
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Saving possible?

Hi,

sorry to run a little off-track here, but I need to ask this:
how can I save in this game?

Do I need a special save disk? First, I tried with a pre-formatted standard adf, no avail. And if you try an unformatted one, you get a 'DISK NOT READY' error.
So you MUST format the save disk. But it doesn't work.
What's up there?
Old 12 April 2002, 21:50   #7
Drake1009

Hmm I haven't tried with emulation. But I know I have a savedisk somewhere. I believe it was just a standard formatted disk though I'm not sure.

I know WinUAE have had problems with disks before, worst part would be the one which crashed whenever you tried to save to disk. At least it drove me crazy.
Old 16 April 2002, 09:44   #8
Walker

First, don't expect me to be able to tell the difference between a spider and a grasshopper. All animals in Sweden are polar bears or elks.
Seriously; I figured the gfx problem would appear with all of the characters, so I didn't bother to find the spider orb. Please correct me if I was wrong.

Second, I had no problems saving my game to a blank ADF floppy. If you want me to upload it, just give me a shout.
Old 16 April 2002, 11:29   #9
vivash

Nope, you're right, the graphics problem is with all characters. I went to get the grasshopper orb, and I thought it worked - until I moved right. The sprite's there when I move left, but not right. The sparrow doesn't appear appear at all, and when I'm a the rockman, I only appear intermittantly. Also, once I've changed to one of these characters, then back again, a few images of the main character vanish. I'm going to persivere with this...

@andreas I didn't have any problems saving... Except when I first tried with a disk I'd just deleted the contents of. When I formatted a new disk within winUAE and did the eject, back to game, f12, reinsert disk thingy, it all worked fine.

Old 16 April 2002, 14:55   #10
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
HOW did you format it? Ordinary AmigaDOS OFS format, using a Workbench for formatting?
Old 16 April 2002, 15:20   #11

Nope, just the standard "Create Standard Floppy" button in WinUAE.
You might need to go back to the game without anything in df0: first, and press fire to be told "disk not ready", before actually inserting the disk.

Old 17 April 2002, 11:29   #12
vivash

Fixed

I've managed to get this working now - "immediate blits" needs to be set, and display set to pal.

Old 17 April 2002, 11:58   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Re: Fixed

Quote:
Originally posted by vivash
I've managed to get this working now - "immediate blits" needs to be set, and display set to pal.
PAL display should always be set except in extremely rare cases where you know the disk is NTSC.
Old 17 April 2002, 12:28   #14
Walker

And, the "Immediate blits" is not activated in my (working) config.
Old 17 April 2002, 14:41   #15
vivash

Re: Re: Fixed

Quote:
Originally posted by Walker

And, the "Immediate blits" is not activated in my (working) config.
Well it is in my (working) version
Maybe it's my graphics card. If I flip back to winUAE and disable this option, when I change to other animals their sprites aren't there. When I re-enable it, the sprites come back, so I'm pretty certain it was this option causing the problem.

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost

PAL display should always be set except in extremely rare cases where you know the disk is NTSC.
I'd set this when the game was already running, and it didn't seem to have any effect. I thought setting to NTSC would speed it up a bit, because I'd disabled the "fast copper" option, and the game was starting to crawl.
The game fails on the crack intro screen if NTSC is set, so it might just be that.

Old 17 April 2002, 14:59   #16
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Re: Re: Re: Fixed

Quote:
Originally posted by vivash
I'd set this when the game was already running, and it didn't seem to have any effect. I thought setting to NTSC would speed it up a bit, because I'd disabled the "fast copper" option, and the game was starting to crawl.
The game fails on the crack intro screen if NTSC is set, so it might just be that.
Well, being from NTSC country and having played many games and demos on a real NTSC Amiga (before the ECS was released), I can assure you that a lot more is affected than just the speed. When I was finally able to do PAL the first time, I went back and watched all of the old demos and intros...it was like seeing them for the first time. Graphics were simply missing in NTSC mode that were there in PAL.