English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 February 2011, 01:35   #1
RMK

Installed Deneb and now nothing.

I finally managed to install my new Deneb after having it for 3 weeks! I moved the A4000 down so it was easier to work on, read the manual of the Deneb so I knew what I was doing and inserted the card into a zorro slot then powered it on. Nothing happened, just a blank screen. Pulled out the Deneb and still the grey blank screen from the Cybervision 64 3D. Tried the Cyber in another slot and it was just the same. I pulled out my Scandy scan doubler from the video slot and just the same. I eventually managed to get the purple instert disc screen through the scandy so I thought great, it's back up again. Installed the CV and then...nothing.

I don't have time to look at this any more tonight but will strip it down on Wednesday night. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to try? I'm hoping that something has moved inside when I moved it, but I did check the cards, cd rom, hard drive etc and I'm still getting a grey screen through the CV.

I'm starting to dred buying the Deneb as without it I wouldn't have touched the machine and life would be better right now

Thanks for any help at all.

Edit: System is A4000D, CV64 3D, SCSI HD connected to Warpengine 040 40MHz, IDE CDROM

Last edited by RMK; 01 February 2011 at 01:38. Reason: To add system information
Old 01 February 2011, 01:42   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
You didnt install the deneb upside down did you? If thats possible.. ?

Cant imagine that would be very good for it.

I hope you can fix it.

Steve.
Old 01 February 2011, 01:58   #3
RMK

No, I installed it as the instructions stated with the components visible from the top.

God I hope it's not buggered something.
Old 01 February 2011, 02:06   #4
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Fingers crossed for you. Im sure the experts will be along tomorrow morning.

What I will say though is that I had display issues from my picasso iv and reseating the daughter board helped.

Steve.
Old 01 February 2011, 02:10   #5
RMK

Cheers Steve. Amazingly, I do also have a spare daughter card I can try. That is one thing I decided to buy before they were either impossible to find or the prices went crazy on them also. lol
Old 02 February 2011, 03:34   #6
source
Zone Friend

Are you booting the the cybervisionvdisplay hooked up or are you booting with just the scandoubled display. If you are booting with the monitor connectd to the cgx then you might be waiting with a custom deneb screen on boot up. It is only able to be displayed on the native screens. Try clicking the mouse after a few secs. To see if continues to boot. Can you get it to display in the early boot board diagnostic?
Old 02 February 2011, 06:23   #7
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK View Post
I finally managed to install my new Deneb after having it for 3 weeks! I moved the A4000 down so it was easier to work on, read the manual of the Deneb so I knew what I was doing and inserted the card into a zorro slot then powered it on. Nothing happened, just a blank screen. Pulled out the Deneb and still the grey blank screen from the Cybervision 64 3D. Tried the Cyber in another slot and it was just the same. I pulled out my Scandy scan doubler from the video slot and just the same. I eventually managed to get the purple instert disc screen through the scandy so I thought great, it's back up again. Installed the CV and then...nothing.

I don't have time to look at this any more tonight but will strip it down on Wednesday night. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to try? I'm hoping that something has moved inside when I moved it, but I did check the cards, cd rom, hard drive etc and I'm still getting a grey screen through the CV.

I'm starting to dred buying the Deneb as without it I wouldn't have touched the machine and life would be better right now

Thanks for any help at all.

Edit: System is A4000D, CV64 3D, SCSI HD connected to Warpengine 040 40MHz, IDE CDROM
Check the Deneb FAQ which reads:

If operating the DENEB in Zorro III DMA mode you may encounter problems if a CyberVision 64/3D or a Mediator 4000Di is present in the system. The reason for that is a bug in the Zorro III bus interface of both cards, not complying to the strict requirements of Zorro III timing specifications.
Updating the DENEB firmware to V9 (or higher) will solve this problem by including a workaround for that badly designed Zorro III cards.

Anyway you should check your Deneb firmware even though you have the same issue without the CV3D installed.

You should see some small green LED's on your Deneb indicating it's status, check the Deneb manual for info. Try forcing Zorro II mode with the jumper, see if that works...

Link is here: http://www.e3b.de/usb/index_e.html under Support.

Darren
Old 03 February 2011, 00:19   #8
RMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
Are you booting the the cybervisionvdisplay hooked up or are you booting with just the scandoubled display. If you are booting with the monitor connectd to the cgx then you might be waiting with a custom deneb screen on boot up. It is only able to be displayed on the native screens. Try clicking the mouse after a few secs. To see if continues to boot. Can you get it to display in the early boot board diagnostic?
Thank you for this. I was not aware of what was going on until I plugged in an old 1084 monitor and saw the DENEB screen being drawn!

Darren,

Thanks for that info. I ended up discovering that without the SCSI HD connected to the Warpengine it worked fine. Now, I have the HD connected up again and it all works fine again, so I'm not entirely clear what the problem is. Maybe an iffy power or data cable, but I've pushed everything in firmly so will see how it goes.

I haven't even tried it yet. Well, I did try it and it came up with the message saying that it needs MUI installed which I haven't done yet. I'll try doing that tomorrow. I take it the latest version of MUI is still 3.8?

Thanks,

Robert
Old 03 February 2011, 02:12   #9
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK View Post
Thank you for this. I was not aware of what was going on until I plugged in an old 1084 monitor and saw the DENEB screen being drawn!

Darren,

Thanks for that info. I ended up discovering that without the SCSI HD connected to the Warpengine it worked fine. Now, I have the HD connected up again and it all works fine again, so I'm not entirely clear what the problem is. Maybe an iffy power or data cable, but I've pushed everything in firmly so will see how it goes.

I haven't even tried it yet. Well, I did try it and it came up with the message saying that it needs MUI installed which I haven't done yet. I'll try doing that tomorrow. I take it the latest version of MUI is still 3.8?

Thanks,

Robert
Yes MUI 3.8 - get it from Aminet.