English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 08 October 2012, 20:56   #1
Mequa

WinUAE integration in XAMOS project

I have been looking at combining my XAMOS project with WinUAE and an updated "AMOS for Windows" package, utilising the original AMOSPro and AROS ROM, in order to bring more features from the original AMOSPro to XAMOS on Windows. (This feature could later be extended for Linux, AROS, MorphOS and AmigaOS4, using their best respective versions of UAE.)

Initially, I would like the ability for the XAMOS menus (in an up-and-coming GUI and editor) to be able to trigger events on the Amiga emulation side, such as (for instance) launching an AMOS sprite editor under WinUAE (e.g. with XAMOS editing a startup-sequence before starting emulation) and with the ability to load a selected ABK bank for editing, and (via saving) transfer it back to XAMOS.

When my editor is ready (I'm still to decide on a suitable cross-platform toolkit, perhaps QT or FLTK, with the possibility of a cross-AROS/MorphOS/OS4 editor in perhaps MUI/Zune at a later date), on Windows I was wondering if it would be possible to "skin" the WinUAE windows launched from XAMOS, in a similar vein to Cloanto's software? Or is this feature only available under their private licence?

Of course XAMOS will still work independently without these features, and they will be an optional download.

Last edited by Mequa; 08 October 2012 at 21:10. Reason: Added other "NG Amiga" possibilities
Old 09 October 2012, 14:25   #2
OlafSch

hi,

is there a 68k version of XAMOS already? I would integrate/add it in Aros Vision.
Old 09 October 2012, 14:53   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

"Skin" is "nothing more" than parent window with WinUAE window as a borderless child window. WinUAE won't care about it.

Public interfacing stuff comes with winuae sources (in cloanto directory)
Old 09 October 2012, 18:40   #4
Mequa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
"Skin" is "nothing more" than parent window with WinUAE window as a borderless child window. WinUAE won't care about it.
I see, is this possible directly using QT or FLTK on Windows, or would hacks be needed?

I probably won't need more advanced Cloanto stuff for a while, but does the licence for that part of WinUAE code allow for usage in non-Cloanto software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
hi,

is there a 68k version of XAMOS already? I would integrate/add it in Aros Vision.
You just need a 68k buildchain. It requires SDL and OpenGL. Building for OS3 may be problematic as compiling XAMOS with GCC G++ 2.x seems to introduce some (as yet unidentified) bugs at runtime which crashes the program. AFAIK this is the highest version of GCC one can use to build in OS3/HUNK format. I would appreciate any contributed attempts to debug XAMOS for an OS3-compatible version of GCC (GCC-2.95.3 G++).

For AROS/68k ELF format, the ABIv1 is not yet stable (AFAIK), so XAMOS would most likely need to be rebuilt for AROS/x86 for each ABI change. It would be helpful to get a buildchain for AROS Vision though. I'm also wondering whether other AROS distro maintainers are interested in a build of XAMOS.

Anyway, back to WinUAE. It would technically be possible (but pointless) to emulate an AROS/68k version of XAMOS on XAMOS using WinUAE, however emulating AMOSPro and its accessories would make a lot more sense.

Last edited by Mequa; 13 November 2012 at 08:55. Reason: Specified GCC-2.95.3 G++ as debug target