English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 03 February 2017, 23:48   #1
darefail

swos problem

Hello. I tried to transfer from pc to amiga almost over 10-15 different versions of swos and none of them works.some of them just loads the disk 1 and whem i'm about to choose teams, it freezes.. any idea please.. where could be the problem? Amiga 500 6A 512+512
Old 04 February 2017, 09:28   #2
liviux76

Hi, have you red this thread?
Old 04 February 2017, 09:49   #3
darefail

Oh sorry, no..
So, do i have to download it from the zone?
Do i have to fix something in the startup-sequence?
I would like to understand the problem
In fact, i haven't managed yet to have access to the zone..
is it possible to give you my email? Thank you
Old 04 February 2017, 10:03   #4
darefail

I joined the zone.. if i have more questions i'll let you know Thank you!!
Old 04 February 2017, 10:49   #5
darefail

It gives me the error Type failed return code 20
Old 04 February 2017, 11:08   #6
liviux76

Quote:
Originally Posted by darefail View Post
Are you starting the game from the workbench?
You don't need the wb, just insert the floppy and turn on your Amiga, it will boot and will ask you for the second floppy after the music.
Old 04 February 2017, 11:11   #7
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
I have not tried the new version of SWOS, but it seems you will be needing to edit the Startup-Sequence. It is attempting to display some text with the Type command, and failing obviously.

Somewhere before the Type command is run you need to run the AmigaDOS command Failat, and set the value to a number higher than 20.
In the command line it should look a bit like this:
Code:
FAILAT 21
Indeed I have seen that line in many AmigaDOS Startup-Sequence files. Oh, and if you're wondering where you can find the Failat command (assuming it is not included on the SWOS boot disk), it should be on your Workbench disk.

Of course you could probably just delete the offending line with no consequence other than you won't see whatever text the Type command was trying to show you. But this issue may possibly come up for you again in the future and it would be a good idea to fix it properly so you know what to do next time.

Last edited by Anakirob; 04 February 2017 at 11:20. Reason: Better instructions
Old 04 February 2017, 11:24   #8
darefail

i am starting the game straight from the floppy. it is loading with the blue screen and after 5 seconds the error message appears. I just checked with opus program and the only difference that i noticed with these adfs, is that in startup-sequence( in s folder) it says "type readme ssboot swos" instead of just "ssboot swos"
Anakirob i am not an expert.. could you tell me step by step what to do?
Old 04 February 2017, 11:57   #9
darefail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
Indeed I have seen that line in many AmigaDOS Startup-Sequence files. Oh, and if you're wondering where you can find the Failat command (assuming it is not included on the SWOS boot disk), it should be on your Workbench disk.

Of course you could probably just delete the offending line with no consequence other than you won't see whatever text the Type command was trying to show you. But this issue may possibly come up for you again in the future and it would be a good idea to fix it properly so you know what to do next time.
1. where is the failat command in my workbench disk? you mean to type "failat" in a cli window?
2. how can i delete the offending line?
Old 04 February 2017, 12:13   #10
Shaytan

Quote:
1. where is the failat command in my workbench disk? you mean to type "failat" in a cli window?
2. how can i delete the offending line?
Just uploaded to the Zone a fixed version.

Enjoy
Old 04 February 2017, 12:34   #11
Anakirob
Unregistered User

1) AmigaDOS commands are commonly found in the C directory in the root directory of the boot device (DF0:C). That's where you will find FAILAT.

Indeed you can run AmigaDOS programs/commands located in this directory without setting it to be the current directory or specifying the path. So if you've got the Workbench disk in DF0: then the full path would be DF0:C/FAILAT. Also, you may notice in your device list a device called C:, that is automatically assigned to the directory in question.

You *could* type "failat 21" into the CLI window, but it would make more sense to open the Startup-Sequence in a text editor and type it on its own line somewhere close to the top of the file. You really want to run it early in the Startup-Sequence.

2) I'm guess that would be the line "type readme", do the words "ssboot swos" appear on the same line as "type readme"? I'm assuming that they don't.

Also, while you've got DirectotyOpus open, why not take a look at the contents of the file "readme". There could be some useful information in there.

I realise that isn't excatly step-by-step instructions, so here's an attempt at providing some:

copy [workbench]:C/FAILAT to [SWOSdisk]:C/
load [SWOSdisk]:S/Startup-Sequence in a text editor
at the very top of the file press enter and type "FAILAT 21"
save and quit the text editor.

finally reboot your Amiga with the SWOS disk in the drive and it shouldn't be giving you that error message anymore.
Old 04 February 2017, 14:08   #12
darefail

I will check your suggestions late at night guys and i hope to make it right thank you all!!
Old 04 February 2017, 14:37   #13
Retro1234
Phone Homer

So you just type "ssboot swos"
If that fails disk again probably not compatible with kick 1.3 hopefuly someone can give you the correct disk set.
Old 04 February 2017, 21:33   #14
darefail

Shaytan: like all the other disks, this one gives me the guru meditation #00000004 or Software error - task held etc.

Anakirob: i tried on WinUAE to copy [workbench]:C/..... and when i press enter it says "insert workbench or workbench1.3 in any drive" and i try with many different wb disks but nothing happens.. this swos is the only one that gives me the returncode 20 error.. so, i think this is not the problem.. but i tried your way just to learn more things in general in opus, the read me file says, type readme, ssboot swos, in different lines.. but as i said only this version says type readme.
{{{{{The ONLY swos that my amiga can load is 92-93, cracked from ministry'92 and the weird thing is that is the only one that opus can't open!!! it says adfReadBootBlock : id not found}}}}} if that helps...

So... are you sure guys that the problem is not on my Amiga?

I use a modified PC Floppy drive that loads everything and i also tried with my original amiga floppy drive. Should i modify my expansion memory to be seen as 1MB chip ram? Should i change my kickstart? don't know

I really appriciate your help and your time!!
Old 05 February 2017, 01:56   #15
Anakirob
Unregistered User

So from your response I gather you actually typed "[workbench]" square brackets and all. Ok, perhaps I wasn't clear that when I used square brackets it means that I'm not 100% on what the actual disk label is and you should replace the text within the square brackets, and the square brackets themselves, with the actual disk label text.

So try "copy workbench1.3:C/FAILAT to ..." (where "..." equals the SWOS disk label followed by a colon, followed by the letter C).

Also I forgot that the Type command is included in the Kickstart ROMs for Workbench versions 2 and above, but not Workbench 1.3. So you will also want to copy workbench1.3:C/TYPE to the C directory on the SWOS boot disk as well.

Oh, and I gather from some of your previous comments that you are using DirectoryOpus. If I were you I'd be using that program to perform all my file operations, such as copying files, instead of the CLI.

I hope this helps.

Also Retro1234 suggested that you simply type "ssboot swos". That should work, try booting the SWOS disk again and type this is after you've recieved the error message. I believe that is what the readme file is instructing you to do.
Old 05 February 2017, 11:52   #16
darefail

Ok tried without the brackets.. just copy workbench1.3:C/failat to swos:C/ and gives me the error code 205 which is object not found.. probably because in swos disk there is no C folder but let's not stick to this "readme" set of disks.. (i'll try to create C folder on disk 1)
I've tried 15 different versions of swos and about 6-7 of them loads the first disk ok! When i insert the disk two and i am about to select teams, the game freezes..
where can i found 2 disks of swos 96-97 that can be tested on a real Amiga 500, to be sure that the fault is on the adfs around the internet or on my Amiga? If someone is able to do this, i can send him 2 empty floppies. Thanx.

Last edited by darefail; 05 February 2017 at 12:22.
Old 05 February 2017, 12:09   #17
darefail

I created C folder on disk 1 but there is no free space to add failat from wb1.3
On WinUAE after the returncode 20 i typed ssboot swos and the game loaded!!!
Now i'll try to load it on my real Amiga... i'm sure it will not...

ok.. ssboot swos.. it loads and then guru meditation #04

I am trying over 1 month. If someone can copy to me the game it's ok. If no one has the game, i'll live with this.. Thank you

Last edited by darefail; 05 February 2017 at 12:32.
Old 05 February 2017, 13:23   #18
DamienD
Banned

You're not having a good time with this darefail

I know you've said you have an "Amiga 500 6A 512+512"; what Kickstart?

Anyway, try these files that I've put in TheZone!:

... Sensible World of Soccer (1994-12-06)(Renegade)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr PDX][f A600].adf
... Sensible World of Soccer (1994-12-06)(Renegade)(Disk 2 of 2)[cr PDX].adf

I've tested in WinUAE with the following configurations and all works fine:

... A500 - 1.3 ROM, OCS, 513KB Chip + 512KB Slow RAM (1 or 2 drives).
... A500 - 1.3 ROM, ECS Agnus, 513KB Chip + 512KB Slow RAM (1 or 2 drives).
Old 05 February 2017, 13:29   #19
darefail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
You're not having a good time with this darefail

I know you've said you have an "Amiga 500 6A 512+512"; what Kickstart?

Anyway, try these files that I've put in TheZone!:

... Sensible World of Soccer (1994-12-06)(Renegade)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr PDX][f A600].adf
... Sensible World of Soccer (1994-12-06)(Renegade)(Disk 2 of 2)[cr PDX].adf

I've tested in WinUAE with the following configurations and all works fine:

... A500 - 1.3 ROM, OCS, 513KB Chip + 512KB Slow RAM (1 or 2 drives).
... A500 - 1.3 ROM, ECS Agnus, 513KB Chip + 512KB Slow RAM (1 or 2 drives).
Thank you but in WinUAE everything works fine. My Amiga KS1.3 is the problem..
Old 05 February 2017, 13:31   #20
DamienD
Banned

Very weird, back in the day I had an "A500 ECS Denise, 512KB Chip + 512KB Slow RAM" and I'm positive SWOS worked fine.

I know you said you've tried 10-15 different versions... Have you actually tried those disks though?