English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 26 August 2007, 21:01   #1
bryce_boi

No work bench?

hi, im kinda new to all this stuff just dug out my amiga and trying to get it all working again, so i bought a compact flash PC adapter so i could transfer, ADF files across to the amiga and onto amiga floppy disks, now didn't realize this when i bought it but ofcourse it makes sence to me now, you need a set of workbench disks to get this thing working, witch i dont seem to have anymore, i have an ADF of workbench and was wondering if there was a way of using my old laptop (witch has a floppy drive) to make an amiga disk using this ADF.

I know about the null-modem cable but i dont actually have a desktop computer only a laptop so thats not an option...

Please can anyone help, maybe theres some windows software that writes amiga disks from adf's or somthing.
Old 26 August 2007, 21:20   #2
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Sorry, I'm afraid with a laptop that's pretty much impossible. The only way I'm aware of to write Amiga floppies with a PC is using the Catweasel controller, which is a PCI (or ISA) card though, so you can't use it in a laptop.

Edit: Maybe you can find someone in the London area to do it for you.

Last edited by eLowar; 26 August 2007 at 21:23. Reason: suggestion
Old 26 August 2007, 21:22   #3
Marcuz

all the solutions i can think of require already a working Workbench* on disk... the only rewriting software on PC that i know of, it doesn't exist yet and maybe ever: the SPS tool that would require also special hardware i think... i'm sorry... anybody else?
[edit] oh yes there's also the catweasel, as eLowar says, but it requires a PCI. if you could grab hold of an old PC there would be also the expense for that card though
* i.e. a mountlist, a workbench disk, not strictly an official worknebch, the transdisk program... if you have that and an Amiga with at least 2Mb (or 1? don't remember) you could try with the diskdrive of your laptop or an external one. Graham tryed ages ago, maybe it worked?

Last edited by Marcuz; 26 August 2007 at 21:29.
Old 26 August 2007, 21:29   #4
bryce_boi

so i guess it would be cheaper to get a set of workbench disks off ebay!... i believe i saw them for like £14...
Old 26 August 2007, 21:32   #5
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Cheaper (and easier) to just buy a set of Workbench disks from Vesalia (watch out, version 3.1 only, requires Kickstart 3.1, also for sale at Vesalia and other places, but may be more hassle). You might be able to find more (also other versions) on eBay or elsewhere.
Old 26 August 2007, 22:19   #6
bryce_boi

sorry i sound like a total noob, but i was like 6 when i actually used the amiga the first time around... but now im confused about the whole kickstart thing, am i write in thinking kickstart is the boot screen you get when you switch on the amiga, because i get a pink screen with a rainbow arrow on the left saying 3.00 ROM 39.106 and then the amiga copyright, and an animaged disk to the right... i dont get the white screen with the hand holding the disk that i remember seeing all those years ago...
Old 26 August 2007, 22:22   #7
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Well the Kickstart ROM is an IC on your Amiga's mainboard, it's basically like a PC's BIOS. It's responsible for preparing the boot process (and much more ). The screen you see is your Kickstart telling you that you have to insert a disk (as it has nothing to boot from).

I take it you have an unupgraded A1200 probably then?

Workbench 3.1 disks probably won't work with Kickstart 3.0 (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). You'll probably need Workbench 3.0 or older (preferably 3.0).

Further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmigaOS#Kickstart

Last edited by eLowar; 26 August 2007 at 22:25. Reason: Added Wikipedia link.
Old 26 August 2007, 22:26   #8
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

With an A1200 (or any other Amiga that comes with an internal HD) you may actually be able to install AmigaOS to the internal HD (by taking it out and attaching it to a PC; again, laptop probably no good, although a cheap USB interface may work (?)) using WinUAE. I don't have any experience with this, but I'm pretty sure it's possible.
Old 26 August 2007, 22:38   #9
Marcuz

I suggest not older than 3.0
workbench 1.3 has some uncompatible command, if i remember right and mounting list (if needed for transdisk) is a bitch. i don't know about 2.0: i had only amiga 500 and 1200, not the in-between...
Old 26 August 2007, 22:43   #10
bryce_boi

connecting a hard disk to my laptop wouldn't be a problem i have an external 2.5" caddy i can take appart and just pop it in that...

however i did just by an amiga hard disk on ebay and it does say it has 3.1 installed on it :S looks like i made a mistake there, so looks like maybe i should upgrade it to the 3.1 rom...

is this what i need...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Amiga-3-1-A120...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 26 August 2007, 22:54   #11
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce_boi View Post
Well, if (and this is important) you have an A1200 (I don't think you confirmed yet; and while it's likely that you do, it's important you have the ROMs for the right model), those would enable you to use Workbench 3.1 (and above), yes.

Also make sure you feel able to replace them, it's pretty easy to bend or even break off pins if you don't know what you're doing.

And maybe wait until somebody confirms what I say, as, while I'm pretty sure, I'm no expert on Amiga hardware and haven't properly worked with any for ages.
Old 26 August 2007, 22:55   #12
Marcuz

if you can use winuae and link the harddrive to the laptop, maybe it's not needed, because you could install workbench 3.0 on it.
for your question and for the in-depth installing on an amiga HD, it's better that someone with more knowledge there answers.
Old 26 August 2007, 22:57   #13
bryce_boi

sorry yes its A1200, so this rom is good right?...

i think i can replace roms no problem, i mean i can build a whole PC no problem, this retro stuff cant be all that differant right?
Old 26 August 2007, 23:02   #14
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
sorry yes its A1200, so this rom is good right?...
Should be, assuming they work.

Quote:
i think i can replace roms no problem, i mean i can build a whole PC no problem, this retro stuff cant be all that differant right?
Well in a PC you generally don't have to remove ICs with many pins from the board and replace them (except when you're changing the CPU and then only if it's not a land grid array or slot CPU). If you have the right tools and/or are careful it's no big deal, really. Just a friendly warning.
Old 26 August 2007, 23:28   #15
bryce_boi

kewl... thanks for all your help, i just ordered the replacement roms, ill post back with how i get on when i get all the stuff i have ordered from ebay, and assuming all goes well, if anyone wants a set of 3.0 roms let me know and ill see what i can do.
Old 27 August 2007, 08:39   #16
fc.studio
Cat lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLowar View Post

Workbench 3.1 disks probably won't work with Kickstart 3.0 (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). You'll probably need Workbench 3.0 or older (preferably 3.0).

Further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmigaOS#Kickstart

No: Workbench 3.1 works with Kickstart 3.0. I tested it for years on my A1200 and I had no problem.

Obviously Kickstart 3.1. is the optimal choice since:
- it patches little Kickstart 3.0 errors
- it allows upgrades to OS3.5 or OS3.9
- it has very little improvement. (e.g.: execute command is now font sensitive)
Old 27 August 2007, 18:12   #17
Flashlab

You don't need 3.0 roms to run WB3.1.
Old 27 August 2007, 21:01   #18
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Well, I'm not to be held responsible, I did say wait for expert opinions. Sorry though.
Old 27 August 2007, 23:42   #19
bryce_boi

thats ok now i have spairs.... lol
Old 29 August 2007, 15:05   #20
bryce_boi

Software failure

ok so i got the hard drive and the 3.1 roms and installed them ok, work bench is running fine from the HD, but now when i write any software to a disk, IE games or even kickstart, i get a software error message, could this be a hardware problem....

Dont know if this means anything but the error message im getting when i try to run kickstart from a floppy disk is:

Software Failure
error: A27A 01EC Task: 203A01E2