English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Contest

Old 09 May 2019, 19:24   #61
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
What is this with all those spanish guys?
Old 09 May 2019, 20:08   #62
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Stick this in your favourite translator...

http://www.xente.mundo-r.com/jojo073/pages/All.html

Jojo73 posted this on Facebook in one of the Amiga groups yesterday.
Wow, just wow!!!

I mean, I didn't really want to comment; but as I said previously, what a sore looser.

From quickly reading through his translated webpage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo073
I was invited to a competition in EAB ( English Amiga Board )
No, you decided to join on your own accord as everyone did; in the hope that your game was worthy of a place and you would receive some well deserved prize money.

Quote:
because I was expressly forbidden to use a backbone
Please show us in the rules where it says that the use of game engines or indeed Backbone is forbidden?

Quote:
When they send you an email saying that the winner is already decided and that no matter how many programs you do not have anything to do, well, you'll be careful and leave everything, but I did not know that.
Oh right, when exactly into the competetion do you believe that all 3 winners had already been decided by all 6 impartial judges; who didn't even have anything to play / test / evaluate?

Quote:
Despite all All Valley Karate Championship was by far the best so far, the most complete game, with better programming, better graphics and the most fun.
Really, not sure about any of those points

I'll just comment on the "most fun" statement... in all honestly I tried your game entry and was bored after 30 seconds; and have never played it again since...

Quote:
The day arrived and the game was handed out, another 3 were delivered and another one that did not arrive or demo, but they let him deliver it to make a bundle. Although the games were delivered, the organization was still giving advice on how to submit the demo of Rygar, and it continued programming, and delivering late, but the organization would consent.
What the hell are you on about jojo073?

The Rygar demo for the competiton was delivered on time; check the last entry in the thread!!!

Yes, afterwards mcgeezer continued to work on it (and still is) but the judges tested the version submitted by the competition's deadline and made their analysis on this.

Quote:
Well, we saw it in other contests, delay as much as possible the decision to calm things down and throw the shit discreetly, they share the loot and if they find out 4, well better than ... Before they decided they would wait a 1 month to proclaim winner to that substitute of Rygar I receive an email where they tell me that the winner is decided the first will be Rygar, the second Aminer and third Modsurfer, but I did not think they would have such a hard face.
Again, what the hell are you on about jojo073?

The judges decided independently that they need a month for all of them to download / try / evaluate all entries; there was nothing more to it.

Personally I think that was way too long, it would have been better if they made the decision in say 2 weeks but you need to remember everyone has lives / commitments so...

Anyway, I won't comment on the rest of your rant slagging off other contestants' games... besides saying that this is absolutely appalling behaviour

Finally, I'm also massively offended considering that I had to run this whole thing, as you are implying that the competition was rigged to begin with... this is most definitely not true!!!

Everyone; the organisers, the prize money contributors, the competitors, the judges were 100% legit and the rules were followed from start to finish.

Last edited by DamienD; 10 May 2019 at 18:50.
Old 09 May 2019, 20:53   #63
tolkien
AmigaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Please...don't put all spanish in the same corner. We can be even worse!
Old 09 May 2019, 21:00   #64
kikems

Quote:
Wait... I'm an spanish user. I know lot of spanish Amiga users that contribute a lot with the community. Here you have dozens of great spanish users, and we are not agree with Jojo actions.

Last edited by kikems; 10 May 2019 at 11:01.
Old 09 May 2019, 21:04   #65
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

You know how did I mean it, guys. No offence to good ones
Old 09 May 2019, 21:12   #66
kikems

Quote:
You know how did I mean it, guys. No offence to good ones
You are a good friend and great supporter, you know no offence, but I need talk about it. For some like me who were his friends in the past, all this is very embarrassing.
Old 09 May 2019, 21:22   #67
kikems

I think we are very enthusiasts users of Amiga, but some of them end up losing their heads and convert what is only a hobby into an obsession. And because of personal problems or too much free time ( really I don't know ) they end up losing the perspective of reality, respect and coherence. It's only a hobby for enjoy.

Last edited by kikems; 10 May 2019 at 10:59.
Old 09 May 2019, 22:18   #68
Estrayk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkien View Post
please...don't put all spanish in the same corner. We can be even worse!
+1000

Old 10 May 2019, 06:23   #69
LongLifeA1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
A crying shame because the guy is extremely talented.
Drawing gigantic heads on dwarf bodies... for every single game. I don't even like it when Ron Gilbert does it (thank God 'Monkey Island' didn't adopt that style).

JoJo's ego must be like that of his caricatures.

Quote:
Despite all All Valley Karate Championship was by far the best so far, the most complete game, with better programming, better graphics and the most fun.
Did he really say that? Is he taking credit for the whole game? He's letting his teammates down. He must be fishing for honest criticism. Here goes:

The game was frustrating to play. Some moves animated faster than others. It was never clear what I did to either win or lose. Basically amounted to randomly pressing buttons and hoping for the best (until that strategy become boring). JoJo not wanting to get out of his comfort zone drew characters in sizes that didn't make sense for that type of game. Would have fared better as an adventure game with witty put-downs as the means to win karate matches - at least then the humor would tie in with the art style.

I prefer to keep criticism of other people's work to myself. JoJo's self-confidence is the product of being buttered up at places such as this forum. It took the contest for JoJo to see that games are not always judged by graphics alone and that HIS gfx are not always enough to carry a game on its own. He's in shock now because no one's ever criticized his artwork before.

Well, JoJo, I won't say much worse than I what I would say to Ron Gilbert, so here's the polite version: The bobblehead style just doesn't appeal to me, at all.
Old 10 May 2019, 13:27   #70
S0ulA55a551n

Can we organise some a special award for this guy. I have never come across such a sore loser. Its playground levels of being a bad loser. I think it deserves special merit.
Old 10 May 2019, 13:38   #71
roondar

I don't want to say much about this, but I'll sum up my feelings about the whole thing: joining in a competition means you might not win. If you can't handle that, don't enter.
Old 10 May 2019, 13:42   #72
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I want a new competition!
Old 10 May 2019, 17:32   #73
spud

Sounds like Jojo used previously created assets for his game:

Quote:
This game was coming around my head a few years ago, I made the dolls and some stage,
<cough> cheat </cough>
Old 12 May 2019, 00:54   #74
Photon

Oh, so it IS the same guy. Thx for linking accounts. I withheld judgment, despite the similar avatars.

He should answer why his graphics spammed to Commodore Amiga and Amiga Graphics on Facebook have the palette 100% finished when he starts tracing. Absolutely no artist does that.

Then he can accuse others of cheating, or not having talent.

I asked him on Facebook once, got an answer like "Never mind, it's just graphics!" and I've ignored him since. Others can give 100 likes.
Old 12 May 2019, 09:12   #75
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
He should answer why his graphics spammed to Commodore Amiga and Amiga Graphics on Facebook have the palette 100% finished when he starts tracing. Absolutely no artist does that.
Still an improvement from the early days when he used simply the Dpaint base 32 colors palette
^_____________________^

Last edited by saimon69; 12 May 2019 at 09:18.
Old 12 May 2019, 16:43   #76
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
Sounds like Jojo used previously created assets for his game:

<cough> cheat </cough>
I do not think it is against the rules. The game for the contest doesnt have to be fresh new.
Old 12 May 2019, 19:05   #77
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I do not think it is against the rules. The game for the contest doesnt have to be fresh new.
Yes it is as far as I'm aware... do the official judges want to comment here also; as I'm not one of them?

You cannot start a project prior to the competition start date and then enter; that means no graphics / sound / code / whatever else...

If jojo073 had already created fighters and some stage years ago; that's not in the spirit of the competition, others had been not allowed to enter for exactly these reasons
Old 12 May 2019, 19:22   #78
DamienD
Banned

Anyway, all this discussion is absolutely pointless now...

The competition has finished and the legitimate, deserving winners have been announced / paid

...the only reason why we are only still discussing this is due to some "sore looser" kicking off on social media who's trying to say that the competition was somehow faulty because he didn't get a place

This is most definitely not the case; anyone who reads this complete section can see the truth.

Let's move on all.
Old 12 May 2019, 20:11   #79
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Yes it is as far as I'm aware... do the official judges want to comment here also; as I'm not one of them?

You cannot start a project prior to the competition start date and then enter; that means no graphics / sound / code / whatever else...

If jojo073 had already created fighters and some stage years ago; that's not in the spirit of the competition, others had been not allowed to enter for exactly these reasons
That is not correct. One of the winners already won a prize in other competition, before it even entered the EAB compo. Aminer scored 2nd place at Retrocomp 2018. It was publicly announced, it was a fact known to the judges and the game was allowed. So to be fair, I think jojo's game was okay in this way. And I think even Rygar started way before competition was launched.
Old 12 May 2019, 21:15   #80
DamienD
Banned

Not going to argue these points with you; as I've mentioned numerous times throughout the competition, I'm not an official judge or had any input into the official rules!!!

...I'm just the sucker who's had to run this from start to finish, provided the biggest cash input and organised final payments, blah blah blah...

Let's wait for them to reply