English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 19 February 2021, 16:07   #21
zerec@hotmail.d
zErec

No replies from Martin :-(. Hope we finally could get our hands on his latest Imagine versions. I would love to buy them if he’s still in Business :-)
Old 19 February 2021, 20:12   #22
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerec@hotmail.d View Post
No replies from Martin :-(. Hope we finally could get our hands on his latest Imagine versions. I would love to buy them if he’s still in Business :-)
In the unlikely event that he still has an active business related to Imagine, he should answer to these e-mail addresses.

http://www.imaginefa.com/contact.shtml

Just for fun, I'll try add him on LinkedIn, see what happens ;-)
Old 28 February 2021, 06:16   #23
FerociousAmiga

Exclamation

Hi,
I posted this in The Zone a month ago. I'll post it again here and there. It has:

-Imagine 2.0 for Windows
-Imagine v4 DOS
-Imagine 5 for Amiga and a PPC version too. I have not tested the Amiga versions.

I was able to get from the IFW version from the imagine3d.org web master last year. This site is no longer active but here is the archive.
https://web.archive.org/web/*/imagine3d.org

I have the files shared on my Gdrive.

IFW 2.x (Imagine For Windows)

Includes:
-WEB: url of training and sample renders.
-VIDEOS: urls training and sample animations.
-SOFTWARE: Imagine3D x86 (2.0 - 2.19) and Amiga (68k & PPC).
-BOOKS: I-Files IFW manual, Tutorials, and books.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xh?usp=sharing

Currently I'm reading "3D Modeling Lab" pretty good book focuses on Imagine but helpful for other 3D prgs. The official I-Files manual looks very well done too. I actually heard that Impulse never paid the author and there was some big fight over it.

Check out this dudes Imagine for Windows 3D renders on YT.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTB...RibaZnQ/videos

Last edited by FerociousAmiga; 28 February 2021 at 06:58.
Old 28 February 2021, 06:37   #24
FerociousAmiga

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
The developer Martin McKenzie is easy enough to find on LinkedIn (just add the words CAD / BIM manager to your search) and funnily enough he lists the Imagine freelance development on his page dated as 1997-Present ;-)
Who knows, maybe he can still find his code
The original developer was Mike Halvorson. I found his obit.

MICHAEL HALVORSON Feb. 9, 1951-Oct. 7, 2015 Michael Charles Halvorson lost his battle with kidney disease and diabetes Wednesday, Oct. 7, 2015. Michael and his wife, Denise, moved to Las Vegas, from Minneapolis in 1998 and was happy to have his sons and two of his brothers join him in the new community. His "bigger than life" personality fit right in. He was lucky to have a life of many colors. As a young man, he taught theatre for Hill Murray High School in St. Paul, Minn., and spent many years in community theatre, moving on to the computer and software arena. He was a pioneer in the software industry, introducing many important programs in the area of 3D design, like Imagine, Illusion and, most recently, for the 3D printing world, Eureka. From 2007--2012, Michael was the head coach for the Las Vegas Demolition, a semi-pro football team owned by Mike Jr. The unlikely pastime became a passion for him. He coached the Demolition to two league championships and one national championship. In 2011, he was honored with a Coach of the Year award by the WWFL. He was preceded in death by his parents, Velva Oleta Wright and Vernon Charles Halvorson. He is survived by his wife, of 41 years, Denise Zezza Halvorson; their two sons, Alan Stocker and his partner, Brynn Streiker, and Michael Halvorson Jr., and his wife, Katie; grandchildren, Phillip, Jaxsen, Lacey, Piper and Aksel; brothers, Arville, and his wife, Bonnie, Larry and his wife, Becky, and James and his wife, Lyn; in-laws, Nancy, Robert and Jack Zezza; as well as many nieces, nephews and extended family. Mike dearly loved his four-legged kids, too, and always had a house full. There will be a celebration of Michael's life 2-5 p.m. Friday, Oct. 16, outdoors in the gardens, at the home he loved so.
Old 28 February 2021, 06:50   #25
FerociousAmiga

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
Imagine 3D is a nice program. It's sad that it hasn't been upgraded in years.
Yes it was. Wish it went open source. The closest 3D modeler that seems to be comparable to Imagine3D is AC3D.
https://www.inivis.com/

Last edited by FerociousAmiga; 28 February 2021 at 06:59.
Old 28 February 2021, 10:23   #26
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

It would be great to get as much of this old code open sourced across the whole Amiga system. Although it is not commercially viable, there is a huge historical value. Especially as the Amiga kickstarted the Desktop Video Revolution.
Old 28 February 2021, 10:28   #27
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Howdy,
pixelfill asked for a "pipeline" between 3dsmax and Imagine, and the answer to that question is DXF and that is the only format I know of that Imagine can import/export (and also 3dsmax reads/writes). So .obj (the wavefront variant) is of no use here unfortunately.
So the next thing would be to find a third party converter.. (like the few mentioned here in the thread)
And if someone had the sources and the knowhow, and the desire... I guess they could write a custom importer for Imagine that reads say .obj then life would indeed become easier.. But what is the market for that ;-)
Yeah, went back to the Imagine 3 manuals and DXF is the only one. I was thinking more of applications that can read the Imagine format and go from there. Maybe Imagine for Windows circa Release 5 was a bit more flexible?

I do think I have a 3D object converter in my box of disks, will check to see what does. There is a program called Polytrans. Not sure if it is around anymore, but it converted almost everything back in the day.
Old 28 February 2021, 18:35   #28
FerociousAmiga

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelfill View Post
slightly OT, but given the knowledge herein is there a suitable interchange format between 3ds (MAX) and Imagine? It would appear that Max cannot output Imagine file format, Can Imagine import anything?
The Amiga has a really good program for this by Axiom called Pixel 3D Pro.

https://shop.myamigashop.com/product...ommodore-amiga

Here is the manual.
https://archive.org/details/Pixel_3D...Axiom_Software
Old 13 June 2021, 15:30   #29
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Working on an article on Imagine and was researching manuals for this program. I have manuals for versions 1, 2 & 3. I used 4 on my Amiga and my DOS Pc, but don't have manuals for it. I don't think it came with a physical manual. Am I remembering wrong, or was this the begining of the slide into the CUP and digital manuals?
Old 14 June 2021, 12:51   #30
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
Working on an article on Imagine and was researching manuals for this program. I have manuals for versions 1, 2 & 3. I used 4 on my Amiga and my DOS Pc, but don't have manuals for it. I don't think it came with a physical manual. Am I remembering wrong, or was this the begining of the slide into the CUP and digital manuals?
I have physical disks up to v5 but the 3.0 manual was the last printed I can find...
I also have a printed "Dare to Imagine" guide printed in 1995.
Old 14 June 2021, 17:29   #31
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Thanks eXeler0, that lines up with what I experienced. Never played with V5 as I jumped to 3DS Max after V4. Was it any good? Loved V4 on the Amiga, but V4 on DOS was a real step backwards apart from rendering speed for me.
Old 14 June 2021, 23:44   #32
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
Thanks eXeler0, that lines up with what I experienced. Never played with V5 as I jumped to 3DS Max after V4. Was it any good? Loved V4 on the Amiga, but V4 on DOS was a real step backwards apart from rendering speed for me.
Although I don't remember any specific details about this any more, I think the 3d editing mode was a new thing in v5 which was cool and felt modern, but was slow, even with 060. Also, extensive AREXX support was there.. but then after the first few patches it dragged on for years with these point releases (the ACUP programme).. And I wasn't around in Amigaland to see them all back then. By the time we were seeing PPC binaries I had also left for 3dsmax and PC.
But in more general terms, I definitely switched from 4 to 5 when it came out and just like Deluxe Paint 5 brought new features it probably wasn't as stable as 4.0.
Old 15 June 2021, 12:33   #33
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

I would love to see this program along with the others open sourced to allow bugs to be fixed and maybe even a few new features.
Old 21 June 2021, 23:37   #34
Pixelfill

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerociousAmiga View Post
The Amiga has a really good program for this by Axiom called Pixel 3D Pro.

https://shop.myamigashop.com/product...ommodore-amiga

Here is the manual.
https://archive.org/details/Pixel_3D...Axiom_Software
I missed this post but thanks for the input, I'll give it a look

Mike
Old 22 June 2021, 01:23   #35
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Has anyone got a PAL version of Imagine V4? The FTP only seems to have NTSC versions. I do have a funny feeling that Impulse stopped producing PAL/NTSC versions, but I can’t be sure about that.
Old 22 June 2021, 19:55   #36
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Ok, think I found a version that has both PAL and NTSC versions. I love the ftp, but goodness is it messy.
Old 08 July 2021, 17:45   #37
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

@Pixelfill I have been using Pixel 3D Pro to move between Blender and Imagine over the last few weeks. It has been working well using the Wavefront OBJ format. I am not worrying about materials however, just the pure geometry.
Old 08 July 2021, 21:38   #38
Pixelfill

@fxgogo that's great feedback - I will definitely give it a look.
Old 12 March 2023, 22:35   #39
Astrin

Thanks for the uploads

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerociousAmiga View Post
Hi,
I posted this in The Zone a month ago. I'll post it again here and there. It has:

-Imagine 2.0 for Windows
-Imagine v4 DOS
-Imagine 5 for Amiga and a PPC version too. I have not tested the Amiga versions.

I was able to get from the IFW version from the imagine3d.org web master last year. This site is no longer active but here is the archive.
https://web.archive.org/web/*/imagine3d.org

I have the files shared on my Gdrive.

IFW 2.x (Imagine For Windows)

Includes:
-WEB: url of training and sample renders.
-VIDEOS: urls training and sample animations.
-SOFTWARE: Imagine3D x86 (2.0 - 2.19) and Amiga (68k & PPC).
-BOOKS: I-Files IFW manual, Tutorials, and books.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xh?usp=sharing

Currently I'm reading "3D Modeling Lab" pretty good book focuses on Imagine but helpful for other 3D prgs. The official I-Files manual looks very well done too. I actually heard that Impulse never paid the author and there was some big fight over it.

Check out this dudes Imagine for Windows 3D renders on YT.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTB...RibaZnQ/videos
Hope people are still monitoring this!
Has anyone heard from Martin McKenzie?
Having trouble installing the Imagine 5 for Amiga. Probably my fault.
Old 12 March 2023, 22:46   #40
Astrin

Pity this thread is a few years old. Would love to hear about:

Did Martin McKenzie finally respond to anyone via Linked In or elsewhere? I joined myself but I can't message him without the Premium option.

Is CAD Technologies UK still operating or is Imagine finally abandonware?

I have a few Mike Halvorson stories but if this thread is dead, no point really...