English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 22 July 2011, 20:33   #1
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

Games you played to completion over and over and never got sick of

Hi all!

I thought I would start a conversation going that I am hoping hasn't been done a million times over already!

I thought I would ask you which games did you play through over and over and never ever got enough of them? I mean, completed without cheats activated...

For me the first time I ever got this was on the Master System with Rastan, a friend and I would replay over and over and time how fast we could do it, effectively racing each other....we got it down to 19 minutes if I recall.
We also used to complete Wonderboy III The Dragon' Trap over and over too, such a classic game although that took significantly longer.

On the Amiga it was Supercars II, by the last track we had maxed out homing missiles with money to spare pretty much everytime we played because we had learned the patterns for the rise and fall of the missile prices (or at least we thought we did). I loved that game so much! I recently found Supercars International which is great, but just isn't the same. We used to play Supercars II everyday and we were bastards with each other on it, bashing each other out of the way at any given opportunity. My mate was worse than me, I was a gent. Joking...I made him eat Homing Missile at every opportunity....which sounds pretty rude when you write it down.

There were many games that I played lots of but never through to completion and not over and over, I fired up Alien Breed '92 on a daily basis (think we only completed it once but with cheats activated) and The Chaos Engine was a daily favourite (completed using Action Replay obtained cheats), the same goes for Speedball 2 and Frontier.
Old 22 July 2011, 20:49   #2
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Kick off 2, F18, Stunt Car, Turrican 2, Lotus 1, Speedball2, Purple Saturn Day(Circuit board level), Carrier Command, No Second Prize, Birds of Prey

That i can think of
Old 22 July 2011, 20:57   #3
kkgarbod
The Human/Gray Hybrid

Location: The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane
Mine, in no particular order. Test drive 2, Hybris, Deathtrack USA, Xonix, Duke Nukem 3D, Lemmings, Grand Prix Circuit & Super Mario Bros.. to name a few
Old 22 July 2011, 21:02   #4
Adropac2
Zone Friend

As we're not talking just Amiga then, Halo1 still played fairly regularly in fact. Best game ever made
Old 22 July 2011, 21:32   #5
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

I figured I would keep it all gaming formats and not just Amiga, because i wanted to brag about my Rastan time hahaa.
Old 22 July 2011, 21:37   #6
s2325
Zone Friend

As a kid: Kid Gloves II, Dynamite Dux, Rodland, Double Dragon 3, Cabal. Much later Rodland, Ninja Mission, Ghost Battle, Tetris Pro.
Old 22 July 2011, 21:50   #7
clenched

Raid on Bungeling Bay for C64. Very easy to beat with only one chopper without cheating. Perfect game results in total victory newspaper headline. Just for fun though, lose all but last chopper then bomb all but last factory then proceed to weaken it. Try to crash last chopper into last factory to blow it up. This will give the funeral services headline.
Old 22 July 2011, 22:47   #8
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
As we're not talking just Amiga then, Halo1 still played fairly regularly in fact. Best game ever made
Agreed, the intro is awesome, the game is simply amazing.
I have played MASS EFFECT 1 & 2 over and over.

For Amiga, it has to be DUNE 1 (Adventure type).
Old 27 July 2011, 01:24   #9
Gandalf

Nitro for Amiga.
Old 27 July 2011, 08:39   #10
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Burton Bird
Old 27 July 2011, 08:48   #11
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
Kick Off 2
How does one play Kick Off 2 to completion? OK maybe the World Cup...

For me it's Wings, I must have played through it at least 20 times and it never gets boring.
Old 27 July 2011, 09:33   #12
KevG
Banned

Only one game I can think of... Return To Castle Wolfenstein (PC).

I have completed it without cheats about 20 times so far. And before you say it... I know, I should get out more :/

Kev G
Old 27 July 2011, 10:24   #13
BrooksterMax

Civilization and Mega lo Mania - I can still play full games on the Amiga and not be bored. Gotta love strategy games
Old 27 July 2011, 11:24   #14
spajdr
Old fart

Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
Turrican I,II
Battle Squadron
Colonization
Civilization
Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge I
Old 27 July 2011, 11:39   #15
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevG View Post
Only one game I can think of... Return To Castle Wolfenstein (PC).

I have completed it without cheats about 20 times so far. And before you say it... I know, I should get out more :/

Kev G
Really, I dont get the whole, doom, gloom, wolfenstein thing.
Old 27 July 2011, 19:33   #16
KONEY
OctaMED Music Composer

money island 1 on amiga, played completely about 10 times (I know the solution by memory...).

...and still wish to play it
Old 27 July 2011, 19:36   #17
Graham Humphrey

Cannon Fodder - and if it counts, Championship Manager '93 and '94 (I've won all there is to win but still go back to it from time to time).
Old 27 July 2011, 20:19   #18
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Really, I dont get the whole, doom, gloom, wolfenstein thing.
I'm no fan of any of those games either, they're too monotone.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is different as there's a storyline and you constantly move through missions and realistic environments. There are no maze-like levels you need to systematically find your way out of while cleaning every room of enemies and bonuses. Definitely an immersive game.
Old 28 July 2011, 00:48   #19
Photon

Loved RTCW too, finished it twice, now it won't work on my PC, tried to reinstall it a month ago :'(

RTCW: Enemy Territory is freeware & still being somewhat played online, many servers at least, so you can practice different location-missions. A few servers with games every night.

Amiga: Lotus series, Speedball series, Gravity-Force, Giana Sisters, Battle Squadron, Silkworm, Lemmings, Vroom

Windows: Finished Portal 2 twice, finished Portal n times while waiting for Portal 2 Half-Life 2 all episodes once for each gfx card upgrade :P, Jedi Knight II, Doom III, Quake II, Quake all episodes many times (usually testing out new nice looking clients over the decades). Even though I doubt I'll finish either of them more times, they're all nice so they get some playtime now and then to pass time.

DOS: The Incredible Machine

Others: NES Super Mario, Arcade Scramble, Marble Madness (fantastic game), C64 Yie-Ar Kung Fu

Lots of games that are lovely even though I've never finished them, and some that I've only finished once, but these are the only ones I finished twice or more and enjoyed.

It's surprising to look back, so few 8-bit games were 'finishable' even for decent players of the time. Must have been frustrating to buy a good game with rave reviews for basically 1 or 2 months' allowance only to get a frustrating and way too hard game, this was the case with me for a couple a$$-expensive Konami MSX cartridges. Such lovely games, and it took like 20 difficult tries to see half of them. With 16-bit it got better (even trainers for those who used those), and nowadays it's just a matter of time before you finish a single player game for the casual gamer or even beginners/kids.

I think that's a great trend, it's supposed to be fun It should be about "a-ha! I have to do/learn this to advance/overcome this level", not "I have to not make a mistake for 45 minutes and I'll finally reach the third level from the end that I've never seen..."
Old 28 July 2011, 22:11   #20
DaveMB
Banana in disk drive eror

Playstation 1 - Metal Gear Solid & Final Fantasy VII
PC - Halo 1 and Kingpin (Kingpin in my opinion was a huge step forward in PC games and one of the greatest online games ever made)
Amiga - Turrican 2 - Final Fight - Mortal Kombat 2 - Cannon Fodder 1 & 2 - Risky Woods
Atari ST - Risky Woods - Gauntlet - Bombjack