English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 18 September 2012, 18:24   #1
Amiga1992

Little tweak for Miracle Piano System

Hey Toni,

I been testing the Miracle Piano System software (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=65840) and I have to say I am impressed on how well it works with WinUAE using MIDI! I set it to receive input from my USB MIDI controller, and to send output to the Microsoft GS softsynth.

However there's a little quirk I was wondering if you could "fix". When you play the keys on the input device, there's no sound coming out of the system. I assume this is because in the Miracle Keyboard, the keys of course make the internal synth sound. But here we have separated the input and output and as such when I hit the keyboard, I get no audio feedback.

Of course if I had an actual MIDI keyboard, not just a controller, this wouldn't be a problem, but it's not the case at the moment.

I know I could use some sort of MIDI "virtual cable" to route the USB MIDI keyboard's input through to the Microsoft GS mapper, but is it possible somehow to make WinUAE replicate the input on the output for proper working without me needing third-party software? Something in the form of a tickbox that we could check in case we don't have the original Miracle Keyboard.

I know it's a very specific request and you have more important things to take care of first, but I thought I'd give it a shot in case it's not that complicated and you could support it in future editions of WinUAE.

Thanks!
Old 18 September 2012, 19:50   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Do you mean everything that comes from Midi In is blindly copied to Midi Out? Should be very easy to do.

Of course weird things can happen if program (that receives from Midi In) also writes to Midi Out...
Old 18 September 2012, 20:11   #3
Amiga1992

Yeah, exactly like that. Everything that comes in, gets piped to the out without any modifications.

Of course this would be something the host environment is doing. from the MIDI standpoint, if the Miracle System is sending MIDI to the output and at the same time I press keys down, the receiving device (in the example, the Microsoft GS synth) will try to play all the notes, discard some randomly, etc. The same would happen with any synth to which I am sending multiple MIDI IN signals. It's nothing fatal. But teh way the software works, it would make no sense that this happens.

I don't know the inner workings of the program but I am pretty sure that it only sends out when it's playing tunes for you to learn. While it's receiving input, I am pretty confident it shouldn't be sending anything to the output. I could put a MIDI monitor on there and check what the Piano System is doing, if that interests you or helps.
Old 19 September 2012, 16:45   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Totally untested (no MIDI IN devices): http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.zip Enable button under midi out/in select menus.
Old 19 September 2012, 18:10   #5
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
I opened the casing of my miracle keyboard, it has eproms inside....
Old 20 September 2012, 00:25   #6
Amiga1992

Thanks for this Toni,

I tried to use this new option, but it keeps getting unchecked every time I press OK on the config screen. Something is making it getting disabled all the time.
Old 20 September 2012, 08:18   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quick workaround: tick the option and then change some other option (for example serial shared checkbox)
Old 20 September 2012, 13:34   #8
Amiga1992

I tried that and WinUAE crashes as soon as I hit a key on the input device, so I guess it wasn't as trivial as we thought.
Here's the log:
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (5.1 KB, 136 views)
File Type: txt app crash report.txt (579 Bytes, 160 views)
Old 20 September 2012, 16:02   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

"Totally untested" = anything can happen.

Attempt 2, same URL, make sure date has changed.
Old 20 September 2012, 19:28   #10
Amiga1992

That's it, it works!
I disabled the serial stuff and the checkbox remained on. I can hear feedback from the keys. It has a little latency, but that's to be expected, I think.

Thanks so much Toni!!!!
Old 21 September 2012, 17:04   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Nice.

Latency is probably caused by something else than emulator because it redirects received input immediately, even before it arrives to emulated Paula serial port.
Old 21 September 2012, 17:37   #12
Amiga1992

Yeah, as I said, it is to be expected. It's some system bullshit.
It's hard to keep up with timing on the software, as my notes arrive late, but it still thinks I did a great job at playing them, so I guess I can use the software just fine It's just hard to play with the "orchestra".

Thanks again for this!