English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 11 March 2018, 17:49   #1
Cornflake

Amiga explorer not completing

Apologies if this has been asked before, I have had a look to see if it has and I wasn't sure which was the best thread to post in.

I'm trying to get my files off my Amiga 4000/040 using Amiga Explorer.
All settings (matching com port and speeds) are correct and I've tried with 2 different null modem cables. I'm running through a USB to serial on my PC.

Amiga explorer seems to make its way through set up and through the RX RAM:Setup phase but then fails with an error writing to COM port.

On my Amiga RAM I end up with 2 files Setup and Setup2 and the following final error within the AExplorer_pc.log file.
PC to Amiga transfer: "C:\Program Files\Cloanto\Amiga Explorer\Amiga\AExplorer" to "RAM:RAM/AExplorer" (45876 bytes)
Write Packet 2
> [0 bytes]
COM WRITE ERROR: 26 bytes should have been written (code 0, timeout 5000)
Write Packet 109
> [0 bytes]
COM WRITE ERROR: 12 bytes should have been written (code 0, timeout 5000)

Any help would be absolutely amazing!

Old 11 March 2018, 21:31   #2
thomas

Make absolutely sure that serial settings are exactly equal on both ends.
Reduce BAUD rate.
Use hardware handshaking a.k.a. RTS/CTS (make sure that your cable supports this).
Use the other procedure, the one for WB 1.3.
Transfer the AExplorer program by any other means (floppy disk, CD, CF card, network, connect Amiga harddisk to PC, whatever you used before to get files from the internet to your Amiga).
Old 11 March 2018, 22:39   #3
Cornflake

Thanks Thomas, I've tried everything I can. Sadly I don't have a working floppy drive on the Amiga and haven't had one for PC for many many years.
I'm looking at perhaps getting a CD burner for the Amiga and transferring everything that way.

Old 28 March 2018, 06:30   #4
powrslave
A1200

put the drive assuming it's ide into an ide to usb cradle and mount it under winuae.

Now you can do whatever you want, and for fun copy the amiga explorer file to the amiga and it probably still won't work because of the cable is wrong
Old 16 April 2018, 16:01   #5
Cornflake

Thank you, I should have mentioned the drive is SCSI

Old 16 April 2018, 20:00   #6
Sinphaltimus

Hey Cornflake - I found myself in a very similar situation. I was able to get out of it because I had a working floppy. Adding a SCSI CD-Rom should work fine but if you have to buy one, you might want to consider one of the GoTek drives if only to get this going. However, the whole Amiga Explorer over Serial things is a bit flaky at best. You might be better off getting a SCSI2SD and adding that as another drive to better accomplish getting everything transferred without further headaches. for me, it never really worked out, not even Amia Explorer over TCP/IP was reliable enough and still super slow. I ended up going from IDE HDD to SD Card to back everything up at first.

Good luck, but I'd gie up any hope of AExplorer being very useful - they really should optimize it and come out with a new version better suited.
Old 16 April 2018, 22:10   #7
Cornflake

Thank you Sinphaltimus, I have to admit I've been thinking the same, AExplorer simply doesn't work for me.
I'm happy buying stuff, it's more the wasting of time and money I mind I think investing in both a new floppy and CD burner could well be the way to go.

Old 16 April 2018, 22:44   #8
McTrinsic

AExplorer for me is a mixed bag.
Over serial, it's flawless at 115200 or whatever that is. I have the high-speed serial of a VarIO.
Over TCP/IP it works but somewhat unstable. Meaning, I can transfer like 50 MB back and forth when the stack hangs. Not sure if it's due to AExplorer or the stack, though. I use Roadshow.
Old 17 April 2018, 22:42   #9
Cornflake

Yes, it's frustrating to say the least.
It is obviously managing to copy files from PC to my Amiga HD as I can see them appearing in RAM. That implies to me that all cabling and stuff is working fine but the settings might be incorrect.
I've tried everything I can think of and every combination of setting, but always with the same result.

Old 21 April 2018, 13:34   #10
McTrinsic

Well in the end it might even be the stack for AExplorer. Try to increase that.
Copy only from / to RAM: .

Do a double-check on baud rate and buffers on both sides.
Old 10 June 2018, 09:00   #11
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflake View Post
Thank you, I should have mentioned the drive is SCSI
You could always buy a PCI SCSI controller. Should be able to get a good one for $5 or $10 off ebay.