English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 01 August 2019, 22:21   #1
honx

how to exactly install cddb.library

i installed cddb.library in libs:, i copied cddb folder to hd and made an assign to cddb: in user-startup.
also copied cddb.ct, cddb_blank.ct to locale/catalogs, german cddb.catalog to locale/catalogs/deutsch.
but there is no cd information in amigaos cdplay, upper area for cd info is blank black (see screenshot).
what did i miss?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cddb.png
Views:	97
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	63954  
Old 08 August 2019, 08:01   #2
honx

???
Old 08 August 2019, 09:52   #3
AMIGASYSTEM

In that black space there is no information on the CD, that is the place of the animation "Eject CD", check if you miss or have the corrupted file named "shuttleanim" (Path DH0:Prefs/Presets/PlayCD/Silver/)
Old 08 August 2019, 10:48   #4
honx

no. there is no corrupted file. i know about that "eject cd" animation which is there if i don't install cddb.library.
if cddb.library is installed correctly, the animation is replaced by shown black space which should display cd info.
it should look like this: https://www.gregdonner.org/os39review/playcd.jpg
my problem is: cddb.library is not installed correctly. because that box only turns black, without displayning info.

see this: https://www.gregdonner.org/os39review/os39review2.html
Quote:
New in Boing Bag 2: PlayCD now supports CD information retrieval from the Internet's CDDB (CD DataBase) via the new included cddb.library.

Last edited by honx; 08 August 2019 at 11:01.
Old 08 August 2019, 11:14   #5
Daedalus

There's nothing special about installing it - it should already be installed if you installed BB2 properly, or else just follow the readme in the Aminet archive. Could it be that the servers that are used to access the information no longer support the old protocols used in cddb.library, or don't exist any more, or require secure connections or something? I suspect that's more likely the problem, as 17 years is a long time for such protocols to remain static.
Old 08 August 2019, 11:21   #6
honx

it was not part of boingbag 2 itsself, it's part of bb2 contributions (optional) and there is no install script. so i followed readme and copied all files where they belong regarding readme. and that's the outcome. black box without info. btw. these files in bb2 contributions and the files in aminet archive are identical... cddb is old, so i assume it's the same protocol as ever. if not, where do i change protocols?
Old 08 August 2019, 12:15   #7
Daedalus

Fair enough, then it appears you've done everything right. CDDB is indeed old, but protocols change. Look at how many websites don't work on older browsers due to the lack of encryption - it could be the very same thing. I have a vague memory of Gracenote (IIRC they ran the main CDDB servers) stopping support of older clients a few years back, but not sure if that's the service that cddb.library was using.

Anyway, if the protocol is indeed the issue, there's nothing you can do. The library needs to be updated, and given that it's been inactive for over 15 years, it's doubtful the developer is interested.
Old 08 August 2019, 13:55   #8
AMIGASYSTEM

As Daedalus says things change on the Web for example on the historical WinAMP you can no longer perform the "Auto Tag" on Mp3 (search for Artist, Author, Title, Albun etc. ..) this because for years can no longer access the server Gracenote CDDB, that I know there is only an old player on Windows that allows Auto Tag and is called "Quintessential Media Player".

For PlayCD even if CDDB is installed, if this does not work the window should not turn black.

I have correctly installed CDDB and I don't have the black window, tried also on other Skin

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 23 August 2019 at 22:10.
Old 08 August 2019, 14:07   #9
honx

as it's useless now i uninstalled everything regarding cddb.library, we need a new library supporting protocols cddb is using nowadays...
Old 08 August 2019, 16:17   #10
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
we need a new library supporting protocols cddb is using nowadays...
We already have one:

http://alfie.altervista.org/freedb/index.html

There is a replacement cddb.library for it:

http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/cddbfreedb

With a bit of setting up it can also be used to rip tracks to mp3:

http://aminet.net/package/mus/misc/freedb_copytracks

Contrary to what the readme says OS4 is not required.
Old 08 August 2019, 17:05   #11
honx

does this also work with playcd which comes with amigaos 3.9?
Old 08 August 2019, 18:04   #12
James

Tried the original cddb.library with an old CD and PlayCD worked:

Click image for larger version

Name:	PlayCD_CDDB.png
Views:	82
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	64027

Tried it with a more recent CD and nothing happened, so it looks like the database is still there but could be out of date. How recent is the CD you tried?

Tried swapping cddb.library with the FreeDB version, but it didn't work, may need some more configuring...

Last edited by James; 08 August 2019 at 18:07. Reason: Changed word
Old 08 August 2019, 18:58   #13
honx

it was a cd from the 90s, a well known and well sold german music sampler.
which files did you copy to where exactly? maybe i did something wrong?
as i said in first post:
i installed cddb.library in libs:, i copied cddb folder to hd and made an assign to cddb: in s:user-startup.
also copied cddb.ct, cddb_blank.ct to locale/catalogs, german cddb.catalog to locale/catalogs/deutsch.
so maybe something is wrong or missing?