English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 05 August 2019, 13:36   #61
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
WTF??

Has anyone seen Another Life yet? Starbuck (Katee Sackhoff) from BSG new series is lead role.
I'm watching it right now. It's terrible

They have faster than light drives, computers that can produce a realistic hologram-based AI which perfectly replicates a human intelligence and their tablet tech is like 2 inches thick and housed in plastic.

As said, they can perfectly recreate a human intellect, but there's no way in hell any of those people on that ship should be there - none of them are at all psychologically suited to a mission of that importance. They have computers that powerful yet can't decode a signal - some rando from the internet figures it out.

They wear clothing very, very similar to ours despite being what has to be hundreds of years in the future, and their social interactions are the same as ours, as is their language. Firefly this is not.

It's still fun to watch though, even if it is a car-crash sci-fi wise.
Old 05 August 2019, 14:20   #62
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
They wear clothing very, very similar to ours despite being what has to be hundreds of years in the future
Ah but fashion is cyclical.
Old 05 August 2019, 14:28   #63
Dunny

That is true, and due to that I'd expect to see a lot more diversity in clothing covering many hundreds of styles - but they don't. They're very much rooted in styles we have right now.

...and if that's the only objection to my rant then I think I did quite well
Old 05 August 2019, 14:33   #64
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yeah the rest is B.S., that far in the future everyone will have lost the ability to speak.
Old 15 August 2019, 11:12   #65
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Okay I'm stuck in anime mode here but I ran across another one that I fell in love with and it's quite topical when it comes to EAB: Hi Score Girl.

Imagine an anime series in which the characters are addicted to retro arcade machines and home consoles and actually play them in the show itself. Imagine that the first episode has Street Fighter 2 and Final Fight and even shows off some tricks you can do in them. Imagine that further episodes even have Mortal Kombat and Space Harrier and touch upon consoles such as the PC Engine.

Well - that's this friggin' Anime.

There is also some sappy high school romance stuff in there but it's actually fun to watch, the show has quite a lot of audio-visual humor with some odd characters, notably a love interest in the form of a rich girl who does not seem to speak at all and excels at any and all game she touches.

Ab-so-lute-ly love it.
Old 16 August 2019, 06:44   #66
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Yeah the rest is B.S., that far in the future everyone will have lost the ability to speak.
I honestly hope that never happens. Probably will though, technology has just gone too far.

Most of the world is so addicted to their phone that I believe they need professional psychological assistance.
Old 16 August 2019, 09:52   #67
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

People thought the same of me when I spent all my days playing on my Amiga

We should leave each other be, it's all just a means to not be bored out of our skulls on a daily basis. These are modern days, I am not even sure if my 3 year old nephew is ever going to have to get a job in his lifetime at this point. Imagine if you are free 24/7 how you are going to fill your days... I can tell one thing though: to keep him entertained now, he is lugging around an iPad. That thing or something similar to it is going to be the centre of his life.
Old 18 August 2019, 13:00   #68
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I honestly hope that never happens. Probably will though, technology has just gone too far.

Most of the world is so addicted to their phone that I believe they need professional psychological assistance.
When you see folk walking the streets on their phone I do stop and wonder. Reminds me of an apprentice we had at work a couple of years ago - he had to be told multiple time to put his phone down, he was that addicted and found it hard to do any actual work

This 24x7 expected availability with mobile phones is getting irritating though. I know there are some businesses in the UK who expect you to reply to e-mails over a weekend prior to your working week. Then there's remote access capabilities (and yes, I've been guilty of doing work from home). It's all got out of hand. Youtube is grinding my gears lately with all the advertising.

To only have that simplicity we all had before the 1990s rolled round...