English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 08 June 2013, 22:36   #1
Kenan

Arrow Few personal observations about Amigakit

Not sure if this a right subforum to post this but here it goes.

First of all, they always respond the support tickets in time (at least in my case). They always have everything I need in stock and always deliver the goods in a timely manner.

I won't even mention the fact that they refunded me a small postage amount after buying one additional item at the last moment so they can place that item in one order (and save me some money ie. not making it 2 different orders).

This might sound like an ad but you know what..not a penny do I get from this. I'm simply happy with their service. Not saying you should agree with me but..I feel the credit needs to be given where the credit is due.
Old 08 June 2013, 22:48   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenan View Post
Not sure if this a right subforum to post this...
I've moved your thread to a more suitable forum.

Thanks for posting!
Old 08 June 2013, 22:54   #3
Kenan

^^Thank you. I had a feeling it was in the wrong place.
Old 08 June 2013, 23:38   #4
lukassid

When Jens recall all those ACA620's they took mine too, even I bought it somewhere else.
Simply brilliant. I will always buy from them.
Old 09 June 2013, 09:34   #5
manic23
Only Amiga!

Yer, gotta love AmigaKit, it's awesome that they exist at all, after all there can't be that many Amiga users out there in the wild can there?

It's great that there is an Amiga online shop still in existence in 2013, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside , there are others of course but AmigaKit is best.
Old 09 June 2013, 15:46   #6
Kenan

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic23 View Post
It's great that there is an Amiga online shop still in existence in 2013
It feels almost as if living in early nineties: you have games available, applications AND you can buy/upgrade hardware via online shops.
Old 10 June 2013, 14:06   #7
amigakit.com

Thanks for your kind feedback: it makes a difference when times are tough in this Amiga market.
Old 19 July 2013, 16:20   #8
Steve T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenan View Post
First of all, they always respond the support tickets in time (at least in my case). They always have everything I need in stock and always deliver the goods in a timely manner.
I've had a very different experience, I've been perfectly polite, I do not usually complain about small businesses, I appreciate how difficult things can be... However I've waited patiently over 4 weeks for help with my timing fixes, like the parts that I need, which they must have in stock but for some reason refuse to sell... all I got was a link to a thread here.
Old 19 July 2013, 19:07   #9
ptyerman

To be fair, Amigakit is a company that sells the timing fixes as a product. They would be cutting themselves out if they sold just the parts, even more so if they was low on stock of certain parts.
The resistors, ferrite beads, and capacitors can be easily purchased at a number of places.
Old 19 July 2013, 19:22   #10
Steve T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
To be fair, Amigakit is a company that sells the timing fixes as a product.
Yes I imagine this is why, as they'd prefer I pay for their service on top of buying the card off them... I just think this is a poor attitude for a company to have toward a customer, you may disagree, whatever.
Old 19 July 2013, 22:55   #11
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve T View Post
I've waited patiently over 4 weeks for help with my timing fixes, like the parts that I need, which they must have in stock but for some reason refuse to sell... all I got was a link to a thread here.
Quote:
Yes I imagine they'd prefer I pay for their service on top of buying the card off them... I just think this is a poor attitude for a company to have toward a customer, you may disagree, whatever.
The matter of timing fixes is more tricky than you imagine, especially to achieve good compatibility with Individual Computers' new high-performance ACA series of accelerator cards.

I suspect the main reason AmigaKit would rather you have them carry out your timing fixes is because in some cases it's possible that the documented fix may not work with a particular combination of motherboard and accelerator, so that a bespoke solution would be necessary. When this happens, the extra work involved will be included in the price, no doubt.
Old 20 July 2013, 01:24   #12
ptyerman

Spot on. These machines are getting on in years and no two are alike, far better to have someone in the know perform any major modifications and fixes. Far too many horror story's out there of botched and wrongly applied fixes or accidental slip-ups with a soldering iron. Costs and expenses of maintaining these machines come with the hobby I'm afraid.
Old 20 July 2013, 16:25   #13
Steve T

that accidents can happen is moot, they already sell the cap packs, accidents could just as easily happen there, no need to be patronising, ptyerman.

If they sell the cards, they should provide the parts needed to make them work properly and support their customers properly... If I break something or still cannot make it work that's another issue entirely.
Old 20 July 2013, 16:51   #14
ptyerman

Hey! Who's been patronizing? I was just stating a fact. Sounds like you need some cool aid and calm down a bit.
Old 20 July 2013, 17:01   #15
Steve T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
Hey! Who's been patronizing? I was just stating a fact. Sounds like you need some cool aid and calm down a bit.
that did read as very patronising, perhaps I misinterpreted, I am sure you have the best intentions we all know things can go wrong, and that these things can be expensive... It has nothing to do with my issue.
Old 20 July 2013, 20:45   #16
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
If they sell the cards, they should provide the parts needed to make them work properly and support their customers properly... If I break something or still cannot make it work that's another issue entirely.
You should read all replies to your posts, not just the last. I pointed out above why this may be impracticable:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
The matter of timing fixes is more tricky than you imagine, especially to achieve good compatibility with Individual Computers' new high-performance ACA series of accelerator cards.

I suspect the main reason AmigaKit would rather you have them carry out your timing fixes is because in some cases it's possible that the documented fix may not work with a particular combination of motherboard and accelerator, so that a bespoke solution would be necessary. When this happens, the extra work involved will be included in the price, no doubt.
Individual Computers ACA series accelerators have been designed to achieve maximum possible performance, which is why they are so sensitive to timing issues.
Old 20 July 2013, 21:13   #17
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Individual Computers ACA series accelerators have been designed to achieve maximum possible performance, which is why they are so sensitive to timing issues.
Whilst I am thankful that Jens is producing new accelerators, I would not hesitate to change, anyday, my ACA (2012) for an old and rusty Blizzard (1993).
Old 08 August 2013, 21:50   #18
Eny-
R3tr0 G4m3r

Sorry if this is not the right topic...

Can I order the US store instead of the EU/UK store? Will I be liable to customs fees if I order something from the US store?
Old 08 August 2013, 22:42   #19
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eny- View Post
Sorry if this is not the right topic...

Can I order the US store instead of the EU/UK store? Will I be liable to customs fees if I order something from the US store?
the store is actually in UK so it makes no difference really except for currency. You'll get hit for customs if you're unlucky
Old 09 August 2013, 01:52   #20
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
that did read as very patronising, perhaps I misinterpreted, I am sure you have the best intentions we all know things can go wrong, and that these things can be expensive... It has nothing to do with my issue.
We aren't refusing, I just haven't got an answer yet.
I have been away for two weeks and my manager is not in at the moment.

Bump your ticket to remind me, to get an answer for you.