Ski or Die
Space Crusade
Space Harrier
Space Quest 1+2
Speedball 1+2
Star Fleet
Star Wars
Story Time
Street Fighter (could never pull of a fireball with the joystick)
Strider
Strip Poker
Stunt Car Racer
Super Cars 1+2
Super Hang On
Super Ski
Super Wonder Boy in Monsterland
Sword of Sodan
Tangram
Tanks
Team Yankee
Technocop
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Terminator 2
Test Drive
The Executioner
The Giana Sisters (basically Mario Bros. with chicks)
The Surgeon (oh my God this game was freaky)
Thexdar
Thunderboy
Thundercats
Time Machine
Tin Tin on the Moon
Toobin'
Total Recall
Treasure Island Dizzy
Twintryst
Uninvited
Unreal 2
Utopia
Vigilante
Wanted: Dead Or Alive
Waxin'
Wierd Dreams
Wild Streets
Winter Games (awesome)
Wizball (best game ever)
Wolfchild
World Class Leaderboard
Wrath of the Demon
Xenon
Xybots
Z-Out

There, now you have intimate knowledge of my life from when I was 5 to when I was 12 :bounce And I loved every minute of it when I was with the Amiga.

I have already posted this list over at the IGN.com Classic Gaming message boards. There are some cool ppl over there who like to talk Amiga from time to time so come on over if you can.

P.S. I think there are a few more whose names escape me right now. I still have the disks, its just a matter of going and finding them. I hope reading this list brings back as many memories for you as writing it does for me

Last edited by Burge; 05 June 2001 at 08:43.
Old 21 April 2001, 20:37   #2
RCK
Administrator

Did you buy each game ?
Old 22 April 2001, 05:44   #3
Burge
Get ready, Agent

Nope

Uh yeah.. sure I did. No, seriously I bought about 10 of the games, the rest came when we bought the Amiga 1000 second hand or from games my dad got from his students (as I have talked about in the memories section) or from people I knew such as friends etc.
Old 23 April 2001, 08:59   #4
Tim Janssen

Interesting list..

Most games you mention I have never heard before. When I bought my Amiga back in 1991 I was only interested in 'new' games. Any Amiga game older than 1990 was old hat for me. Seems I have missed some real classics..

By the way, you mention a game called Unreal 2. I do remember a beautiful platform/ shoot'em up game from UBI soft in 1990 called Unreal. Dou you refer to that game or is it really a sequel?

Tim
Old 23 April 2001, 12:30   #5
Burge
Get ready, Agent

Hmm

You haven't played most of the games I mentiod? Man, you missed on on some great, great games I'd like to know which games in my list you have actually played. And about Unreal 2, I can't really remember what the game was like, but hey, if I ever get it around to turning my Amiga on again (and get some working joysticks) i'll be sure to boot it up and give you the lowdown

By the way, did you guys know that you could use Megadrive (Genesis) joypads in the Amiga joystick ports? Bet you didn't...
Old 23 April 2001, 16:17   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I knew (it's what I've used for years). The reason is the connector, for which the patent actually belongs to Atari. You may note that you can also use the joystcks from Atari 2600/VCS systems, as well (plus many other game systems and computers). I guess a lot of companies used that design because they thought it was public domain or something, but Atari actually went after a couple of them with stiff lawsuits. Oddly, they didn't muck with Commodore, but they did settle out of court with Sega. I guess they only wanted the big money so they could finance the Jaguar (which was a waste...)
Old 23 April 2001, 16:41   #7
Tim Janssen

List of games I've played..

Burge,

You asked for a list of Amiga games I have ever played. Well, here it comes:

Afterburner
Air Rally
Arkanoid
Army Moves
Bart vs The Space Mutants
Batman the Movie
Battlechess
Blues Brothers
Buggy Boy
California Games
Cannon Fodder
Chuck Rock
Dynamite Dux
Elf
First Samurai
Flood
Gods
Hard and Heavy
Hook
Hostages
Hudson Hawk
Hybris
IK+
Kickoff
Lemmings
Leisure Suit Larry
Lotus Turbo
Marble Madness
Menace
Midnight Resistance
North and South
Oops Up
Operation Wolf
Outrun
P.O.W.
Prehistorik
Return Of The Jedi
Robocod 1+2
Robocop
Rolling Thunder
Silkworm
Sim City
Speedball 1+2
Sword of Sodan
Terminator 2
The Giana Sisters (basically Mario Bros. with chicks)
Unreal
Wolfchild
Wrath of the Demon

At the end, it is a fairly long list, though.

Tim
Old 31 May 2001, 21:16   #8
Unregistered

Amiga classics

Hello I just came across this forum and can't believe i've actually found a forum for the Amiga, all my christmas's have come at once :-), I see you have listed Kick off in your games but have you played Kick off 2 oh my god what a game much better than the first one and certainly better than Kick off 3 otherwise known as Goal, i've got loads of Amiga games to long to list them all at the moment but when I have more time I will you bet your life on it anyway thanx for all the memories.

Old 31 May 2001, 23:44   #9
BWT

I think I've forgotten more games I've played than I could ever remember.

What I do wonder is how did I make the time? I never kept records, but did/do buy/trade any originals I find around (rarely).
Just for the fun.

Oh, and re: the Sega joypad, I'm going to have a look for some schematics I have somewhere to allow an Amiga to use all the buttons on the pad....if you fancy a little re-wiring

Old 01 June 2001, 11:08   #10
Burge
Get ready, Agent

No, I never did play Kick Off 2. I can't even remember what Kick Off the original was like. Oh well...
Old 01 June 2001, 18:51   #11
Amiga1992

About rewiring Sega joypads... this will not work in A600 or A1200 machines, afaik, because of the new way they built the motherboards (the surface-mounting technology and stuff). This is mentioned in the Flashback docs, where they tell you how to build the interface. No rewiring of the pad needed, just build it like it says there.

Be careful with certain shitty clone Sega joypads though. I foudn some that will make the Amiga do strange shit, like keeping locked the left switch, or not being able to fire at all. Try to go for official Sega joypads.

Also, some games accept better the Master System joypads instead of the Genesis ones. They use to map the second button to whatever the spacebar did in game. Older games like Alien Breed 2 take an SMS joypad (second button brings up the map), but not the genny one, while Alien Breed Tower Assault accepts the Genny pad but not the SMS pad (second button activates retreat mode). SMS pads work a treat with old games (in R-Type the second button releases/calls the Force device, in Project X you can powerup, etc)
Old 01 June 2001, 21:45   #12
Unregistered

Hi Burge!

Are you able to backup those games?

If so, then please contact me:

dec0de12@digital-remastered.de

Ciao!

Old 02 June 2001, 06:37   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I think the proper question here, which has somehow not come up, is - are they originals or cracked versions of the games? If they are cracked versions, then it is just another collection of warez like everyone else has. If they are originals, then the list is more impressive. I'd say there's about 250-ish games there. I am nearing the 500 mark on my (originals) collection and having a helluva hard time find room for the bloody things!
Old 02 June 2001, 07:59   #14
Burge
Get ready, Agent

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

I'd love to say that they were all originals but I can't. Do you know how much that would have cost? Besides, I didn't even know where you could buy Amiga games from. And I don't count them as warez, they're all my babies, even the ones that were pirtated
Old 02 June 2001, 19:56   #15
Amiga1992

I agree with Twistin' here, that it's just a bunch of warez that anyone can have. Even more today, when you can download a lot of those games from the net.

My collection consists of 10 games, the rest is not part of my collection, it's just pirated garbage. Sure I enjoy it, but means nothing to the collection.
Old 03 June 2001, 11:34   #16
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yeah, collecting originals can be an expensive and consuming hobby. If you are up for the task, ebay is your best bet. If you are in the US, Turtle Software (TLAS) is a helluva cool resource, as well. I am using the originals for my co-operative upcoming database, as well, so that is an additional incentive. I prefer purchasing bulk collections for very cheap. And in the process, I have acquired some quite rare games. Some I had never seen the box for (Better Dead Than Alien, for example), others have no known crack for, etc., so it's quite a blast a lot of times.

As far as running out of places to put them, at least I am not collecting arcade coin-op machines! Which would rock, by the way...
Old 03 June 2001, 13:07   #17
Burge
Get ready, Agent

No games in my collection were dloaded, if that's what your implying, Akira. I think going to the trouble of firstly finding people who had Amiga games was a challenge, not to mention the anxiety felt when using X-Copy, hoping for no bad sectors. Boy, it was a game in itself!
Old 04 June 2001, 17:59   #18
Amiga1992

No, I'm actually implying that if they are pirated, the list is not as impressive I have a similar numebr of disks, copied back then, but they do not form part of my collection at all.

That's what I mean It sure was a thrill back then, to copy a box of disks and going back home to try them out...
Old 04 June 2001, 21:37   #19
Unregistered

It doesn't matter :-)

To me it doesn't really matter if they are pirated or not as you still get the game and thats what matters to me long live Kick Off 2.

Old 05 June 2001, 03:24   #20
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Cool Pirated games vs originals

In the old days I used to think a copy was as good as the original. However, if you look at a lot of games, they are not as good as the originals for various reasons:

1. Intros removed to save space (eg. Nitro, Shadow of the Beast 2 and 3, Eliminator). Crackers couldn't get the game onto the same number of disks so removed features from the original.

2. Text changed. Lots of idiot lamers decided changing the text in a game showed how clever they were. I prefer to see the original messages rather than Cracked by the best XXXX Greets to all my mates YYYY and ZZZZ is a complete lamer etc.

3. Cracktros and import-tros. I for one don't mind seeing a cracktro on a release (some are great like Ivan Ironman Stewarts cracked by Paradox), but some games ended up having massive loading sequences as group after group tacked their 2c worth on the front of the game. Wizkid, Zeewolf, Turtles etc ended up looking very lame with >3 intros on the front. Plus it doesn't take much skill to import a game and tack an intro onto the front. And who really gives a monkey's who happened to bring the game into a particular country anyway?

4. Disk swapping. Not so important now with HD versions out, but take a game like Mortal Kombat 1 or 2, original is 2 and 3 disks respectively, the crack is 3 and 4 disks. The disk swapping was a nightmare on the cracked versions. All Readysoft games also fall into this problem where the original has about 100k extra data on each disk than the crack can hold so it gets dumped onto an extra disk. Note that the guys that cracked these types of games were/are legends as it is no easy feat to make them work with more disks than the original had and requires extensive hacking of the loading routines.

So all in all, while you may have approximately the same data as the original and no annoying words from the manual to type in, original software is often more pleasurable to use than cracked stuff!

[Note: There are of course a few benefits of cracked games, quite often they worked on more machines than the original due to stupid copy protection systems, memory allocation re-written and occassionally a gem was released where a 2 disk game ended up on a single disk without removing anything - F29 Retaliator for example.]