English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL suggestions and feedback

Old 12 June 2003, 07:32   #61
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Having had my attention drawn back to this thread by the last post, I re-read it and had a few comments about two of the games that are listed in The Wolf's list that was given earlier in the thread.

Transputor - This game was recently requested here and was posted to the Zone as part of a compact collection. It is listed in HOL with screenshots as well. There may not be a stand-alone version of the game available though.

Winter Challenge - In the earlier post this was listed as an Accolade title from 1992. In HOL it is listed as a Thunder Mountain title from 1988, and it is shown as missing in action. I do have a working stand-alone adf version of this one, and if this is truly missing, I'd be happy to post it to the Zone. Unless Accolade released another game by the same name a few years later though, then I'm assuming that this was simply a mistake.
Old 12 June 2003, 12:57   #62
the wolf
Just Leeching

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuckles

Winter Challenge - In the earlier post this was listed as an Accolade title from 1992. In HOL it is listed as a Thunder Mountain title from 1988, and it is shown as missing in action. I do have a working stand-alone adf version of this one, and if this is truly missing, I'd be happy to post it to the Zone. Unless Accolade released another game by the same name a few years later though, then I'm assuming that this was simply a mistake.
It's quite obscure why Accolade decided to rename Winter Challenge with another title which don't recall the other previously released summer competions.
Maybe the game wasn't so good and they decided to rename this to prevent another flop?
Who cares?
If you are so kind to post it in The Zone, I'll check with my screenshots, so we can resolve this mystery!
Old 12 June 2003, 14:10   #63
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yeah, I don't seem to be able to locate a copy of Winter Challenge in my top tier stuff (what's on the HD), so please do post this.
Old 12 June 2003, 15:51   #64
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Ok, I'll post it when I get home this evening.
Old 12 June 2003, 20:23   #65
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Winter Challenge (aka Winter Olympiad 88 by Tynesoft) was released by Thunder Mountain in the US and may have been distributed by Mindscape. I'll know for sure when my copy rolls through the mail from the US in a few weeks.

Last edited by DrBong; 13 June 2003 at 02:27.
Old 13 June 2003, 01:30   #66
Chuckles
The Ancient One

I've just uploaded Winter Challenge to the Zone, so whoever wants it, go grab it. If I recall correctly, I think this is one of mine that I created using disk2fdi, so hopefully there will be no problems with it. It works as far into the game as I've gone, but that's not saying very much.

@DrBong
I don't think Mindscape had anything to do with this one. The disk scan shown in HOL makes no mention of Mindscape, and the Mindscape logo that usually appears when booting anything they've touched is nowhere to be seen.
Old 13 June 2003, 02:25   #67
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
I don't think Mindscape had anything to do with this one. The disk scan shown in HOL makes no mention of Mindscape, and the Mindscape logo that usually appears when booting anything they've touched is nowhere to be seen.
The Mindscape logo during booting only ever showed up in games they had a hand in coding or publishing. Amiga game distributors, however, didn't necessarily get a mention anywhere but on a sticker that was slapped on the game box when they served no role in the coding or publication. Mindscape and EA were good examples of this in the US.
Old 13 June 2003, 06:12   #68
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

And Mindscape distributed stuff the world over. I think it was either Sweden or Australia (probably the latter) that most of the Amiga games there were distributed by Mindscape.
Old 13 June 2003, 07:43   #69
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Well, I'm afraid I won't be able to shed any further light on the subject then if the only indication that they were involved was a sticker on the box. The box is long gone, and the instructions that came with the game only mention Tynesoft and Thunder Mountain. Maybe DrBong will have an update for us when the copy he just bought arrives soon ... which begs the question:

@DrBong
Where the heck did you manage to find a place in the US that you could order a title like that from in it's original boxed condition?
Old 13 June 2003, 08:41   #70
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Where the heck did you manage to find a place in the US that you could order a title like that from in it's original boxed condition?
I won it on Ebay for $US2.50 a little while back. Still some good deals to be had on Ebay if you're prepared to look regularly and have a bit of patience
Old 13 June 2003, 08:45   #71
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
And Mindscape distributed stuff the world over. I think it was either Sweden or Australia (probably the latter) that most of the Amiga games there were distributed by Mindscape.
Yeh Mindscape, OziSoft, Pactronics and Imagineering were the big distributors here in Australia. OziSoft was probably the biggest, though, and was bought out by Sega in the first half of the 1990s and became Sega OziSoft.
Old 13 June 2003, 11:13   #72
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by DrBong
Yeh Mindscape, OziSoft, Pactronics and Imagineering were the big distributors here in Australia. OziSoft was probably the biggest, though, and was bought out by Sega in the first half of the 1990s and became Sega OziSoft.
And let's not forget good ol' ECP!
Old 13 June 2003, 19:23   #73
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

ECP was perhaps better known as a big budget games publisher in Australia (especially for EA and SSI games) than as a distributor. They might have been on par with Imagineering in terms of the volume of games distribution they handled, though.
Old 13 June 2003, 21:51   #74
the wolf
Just Leeching

First of all, thanks Chuckles to post this gem in the zone.
Unfortunately, this isn't the game "we" are searching for.
As you said the game is from Tynesoft and not Accolade, and my screenshot is totally different from this, the graphic is a little more detailed...

However, be happy because you have discovered another lost game from the amiga graveyard!
Old 14 June 2003, 16:01   #75
fredflint

Hi guys, This is my first post to this forum, so be nice hehe.

anyway I was wondering if anybody knows if the game Nobby the Aardvark by Thalamus was ever released. Im pretty sure it was unreleased as I can't find information about it anywhere except in Amiga Action.

It was a platform game and was featured in the Blue Print section of Amiga Action Issue 36, page 54.

The game looked crap, but I've never played a game with an aardvark as its hero, hehe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nobby.jpg
Views:	1027
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	5202  
Old 14 June 2003, 18:10   #76
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

"Nobby The Aardvark" is actually mentioned earlier on this very page (on The Wolf's list), but you can read a bit more about it here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=647&
Old 14 June 2003, 18:41   #77
derSammler

Another unreleased one:

The Game Machine
Old 15 June 2003, 03:53   #78
fredflint

Cool, thanks for the info Twistin'Ghost, I didn't realise Nobby was so well known.

BTW have these games been mentioned yet, Im sure they are unreleased:

Esairs XII - by Arcane
Rocket Rescue - unknown
Flag - Millenium
Strike II - Millenium (This was meant to be a sequel to an older release Thunderstrike) - Is this the same game as Strike Command (mentioned in HOL as unreleased)
M - SSI (I suspect this game was released only on PC, and the screenshots are from the PC Version)
Old 15 June 2003, 11:33   #79
Drake1009

Nobby the aardvark wasn't that great a game I'd say. At least the C64 version wasn't and it didn't feel like it was missing something important.
Old 15 June 2003, 13:52   #80
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by WindowsKiller
The Game Machine
Quote:
Originally posted by fredflint
Esairs XII - by Arcane
Rocket Rescue - unknown
Flag - Millenium
Strike II - Millenium (This was meant to be a sequel to an older release Thunderstrike) - Is this the same game as Strike Command (mentioned in HOL as unreleased)
M - SSI (I suspect this game was released only on PC, and the screenshots are from the PC Version)
If you guys have a way to scan these WIP's (if that is the source), we sure would like to be able to add them to HOL! The Game Machine is the only one I recognize, but damned if I can place it. I'll look into that.