English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 29 October 2018, 12:58   #61
Ragnarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbob_gb View Post
I saw David Pleasance at the Blackpool Play Expo and he said that digital and audio versions of the book will be available in the near future.
well thanks for the quick answer!
Old 29 October 2018, 21:49   #62
Deaths_Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbob_gb View Post
I saw David Pleasance at the Blackpool Play Expo and he said that digital and audio versions of the book will be available in the near future.
Cheers
Old 14 December 2018, 10:57   #63
Crown
Demoscener

Hi guys,

Has anyone bought and read it already?

Feedback on the book content quality would be greatly appreciated.
Old 14 December 2018, 15:28   #64
arcanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown View Post
Hi guys,

Has anyone bought and read it already?

Feedback on the book content quality would be greatly appreciated.
I've read the first half so far, which covers David's personal experiences at Commodore. The second half has contributions from Mical, Haynie, and quite a few others.

Having also read Brian Bagnall's Commodore: The Amiga Years I initially thought there might be a lot of overlap, but David's book is structured more as memories and anecdotes than a complete retelling of the company's history. David wasn't an unimportant figure; he has some stories about Mehdi Ali I hadn't heard, and even briefly finds a softer side to him. There's a bit more focus on the international business than on Commodore USA.

I think it's an enjoyable companion to Brian's work but you won't find the same depth of research in this one. The writing quality seems fine to me. David's columns in Amiga Format made him something of a lifeline figure for my younger self in the Amiga's dying ages, so I was keen to hear the story from his side.
Old 14 December 2018, 16:39   #65
mjnurney

Ive finished it and its a great read , Davids point of view is sales and not on the technical side so expect plenty of sales related stories and of course the failed bid to save Commodore and how it was sabotaged by certain former German employees of Commodore and then Escom.

However the technical side is made up for by the last half of the books text being supplied by the great RJ Mical , Bil herd and many many others.

All in all an excellent read but ultimately sad story of a company with extremely talented people being let down by narrow minded and ill suited American management.

Commodore UK was still in profit when it was dissolved by Escom.

mike.
Old 14 December 2018, 17:05   #66
Crown
Demoscener

@arcanist and @mjnurney: thanks a lot gents for sharing your views on the book. The parallel with Brian's book is really interesting.

I think it will end up in my wish list.

have a great xmas.
Old 29 December 2018, 10:24   #67
damiraga

Anybody knows what happened to the kindle version that was being offered on Amazon (both .com and .co.uk) few weeks ago?

Last edited by damiraga; 29 December 2018 at 10:36.
Old 29 December 2018, 19:44   #68
Higgy

I finished this. Loved it.
Also great to read accounts from Commodore people whom you don't normally hear from.
Old 14 January 2019, 11:38   #69
tin

I'll just chip in another recommendation for this book. Very interesting, especially with stuff that was going on in the background tying in with what we saw through the magazines BITD.
Old 14 January 2019, 21:42   #70
Crown
Demoscener

I will receive a copy as Xmas gift. Can't wait to finally get it and spare time to read it.

Thanks to all readers for sharing their views on it.

Last edited by Crown; 15 January 2019 at 11:55.
Old 15 January 2019, 00:31   #71
lesta_smsc

Met David at a recent function. Lovely guy. I find it amusing when he mentioned he only sold the machines and never switched one on!
Old 15 January 2019, 01:49   #72
shaf

I haven't received my physical book yet, Canada Mail is backlogged due to a 2 month postal strike. I've most of the electronic copy of the book and there are some excellent stories and responses favorites. I won't spoil it but there are a few surprises a must read and lots of info. on the running of the company.

If i hadn't been part of the backers i would purchase the book right now. Listed in the back as a backer.
Old 17 October 2019, 09:39   #73
Pyromania

Anyone read this brook? How is it? I’m read Amiga Years right now and it’s great, lots of detail.
Old 17 October 2019, 12:06   #74
wanderer
I want an A1000

It's great. More of a personal take than a fact/encyclopedia type book. Funny, moving and exasperating moments in there! Part 2 (stories of other CBM people) also a must-read.
Old 17 October 2019, 12:27   #75
Unkown
The Old Fart!

I don't have time inorder to read books, & we know what happend to C= its going to be nothing new just somebody making money from C= memories...

Entitled.
Old 17 October 2019, 13:20   #76
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkown View Post
I don't have time inorder to read books
That sounds very unfortunate. I have very little time myself, but still find time to slowly read a few books a year. Like most things, if you really want to do something, you can always find time for it, however limited.

Quote:
we know what happend to C= its going to be nothing new just somebody making money from C= memories...
A bit harsh, and probably wrong. Most people know the general story, but it's the finer details that many people might not be aware of that make the difference. And that's part of the joy of reading a book on a topic - it's all the smaller details that serve to enrich what might be an already familiar subject. I would consider myself to be quite knowledgeable on the Amiga's history and technical aspects, but I'd never presume to know everything, and I'm still regularly learning new little details. There are so many interesting little details and different perspectives on subjects that I've learned from reading the Brian Bagnall trilogy of books, despite knowing all the main details already.
Old 17 October 2019, 19:45   #77
Ragnarok

Is an ebook in epub a available anywhere to buy?
Old 17 October 2019, 22:22   #78
spudje

Wasn't David going to draw a winner of a Tabor + Checkmate case at Amiga34? Did that indeed happen?