English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 09 November 2010, 13:05   #1
Dreedo

Lemmings failure to load (Probably not game related)

Well i got a copy of lemmings, sort of.

It came in an official box and everything. But the disk is white and on the front in aqua letters are: 'Lemmings Copyright PSYGNOSIS 1991 FREE WITH COMMODORE PROMOTION PACK'.

When booting the Amiga up to the purple start screen where it asks you to insert a floppy, when i insert it, the insert floppy sign disappears and it goes on a blank purple screen.

When the floppy starts to load a very loud sqealing sound starts as if a wheel needed some serious WD40'ing. And it starts clicking in rapid succession, also loudly. Probably about 5 clicks a second.

After about 3 seconds of that the Amiga falls silent and asks you to insert a floppy.

When on the Workbench, if i insert the floppy, exactly the same happens, except the floppy disk shows up as DF0: N### Can't remember the other letters after N. If i click on the DF0, i just get something about no tool set to launch program. Hard to read as i have a poor colour scheme on my WB at the moment.

I presume the disk is dead, my drive is fine because i can run Lotus 2 and WB fine.

I was also a little skeptical, as Lemmings is usually on 2 disks isn't it? Is Disk 1 only used for the Intro and not required to play?

Thanks.
Old 09 November 2010, 13:14   #2
BrooksterMax

With my Cartoon Classics A500+ package back in the 90s it had a copy of Lemmings on one disk labelled similar to yours - the intro animation is sadly gone as they have squeezed it onto one disk.

I can't speak for why your Lemmings disk does not work, perhaps time has not been kind to it.
Old 09 November 2010, 13:14   #3
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Lemmings isn't a DOS disk, so it won't be recognised by Workbench, hence the NDOS message when you put the disk in with WB loaded.

If the disk is making the terrible noises you're describing I'd refrain from putting it in your disk drive as you could cause some serious damage. It sounds like it's well and truly nadgered!
Old 09 November 2010, 13:22   #4
Dreedo

Damnit, ah well. At least i get to keep the box, even if the game isn't working. :P

Such a shame as the disk is in perfect cosmetic condition. :/

Seriously considering this the last Amiga game i buy from eBay, bought 2 and both were faulty, even though this Lemmings game was sold as untested.
Old 09 November 2010, 15:33   #5
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Why not download and convert a working Lemmings ADF to floppy? That way you'll have the nice box, instructions and original disk, plus a working Lemmings you'll be able to play.
Old 09 November 2010, 16:06   #6
Dreedo

I have no way of getting games on my amiga other than the normal way, too expensive at the moment. :/