English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 April 2002, 05:37   #21
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

From what I heard, Dino Dini had some issues with Anco, and they weren't about money. Goal! was being developed as Kick Off 3, but then (again, from what I heard), Dino Dini and Anco "broke up", and Virgin bought the project

Kick Off 3 was made by Steve Screech (Did I spell it right?), and although it has nice graphics, it sucks as hell.

Most of my friends said the players in Goal! seemed to be flying, but I never got that..

Hmm.. Pro Evolution Soccer... I haven't seen any PSX2 game running yet. The Konami's soccer series is rather weird.

There are both ISS and ISS deluxe for Snes (Called Perfect Eleven and Fighting Eleven respectively, in Japan)
Then in PSOne , there was the first Winning Eleven in Japan, called "Goal Storm" on West, I think it was the 1st soccer game for the PSOne ever. One year later, Japan got Winning Eleven 2, named "Goal Storm 97" in West. More or less at the same time , ANOTHER TEAM from Konami made "International Super Star Soccer 64" for the N64. I never remember the name of those Konami teams (One is name KCET, the other one I don't know, and I never remember who did what). I also dunno if ISS 64 got another name on Japan. And while "Winning Eleven" on PSONE and ISS 64 have somo similarities, they are incredibly different on gameplay, the 1st one being more realistic, and the 2nd one being more arcade. Then on PSONE, we got "Winning Eleven 3", and on West, instead of naming "Goal Storm 98", it was named "International Super Star Soccer 98"... it was made for the same team of the others Winning Elevens (And NOT the team from the N64 version, who, in 98, made ISS 98 for the 64).

Winning Eleven 4 was also released for the PSONE, and I saw it with many different names in West, like "International Super Star Soccer 2000" and "Major League Soccer 2000" . N64 also got ISS 2000.

Now on PSX2, we have both Winning Eleven, that now is called "Pro Evolution Soccer" on west, and International Super Star Soccer, that probably has the same name on Japan.

So, both teams from Konami went to make games for PSX2 ?
Old 27 April 2002, 12:33   #22
LaundroMat

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
So, both teams from Konami went to make games for PSX2 ?
Yes. ISS2 being more arcade-y and PES being the more strategic (and no-frills) game. PES2 (Winning Eleven 6) is out in Japan already.
Old 27 April 2002, 12:56   #23
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

PES on PS2 is the best footy game ever IMO, although the actual shooting method of Kick off 2 is still the best ever!
In PES its still a bit of a case of just hitting the shoot button without a great deal of control over the shot (just power).
In Kick off 2, you had total control and thats what PES needs to be perfect!! Still, its not as bad as the Fifa series. They are a joke, all show and no depth. I bought it for my PS2 and was scoring overhead kicks EVERYTIME within minutes!! RUBBISH
Old 27 April 2002, 14:24   #24
dinodini

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
From what I heard, Dino Dini had some issues with Anco, and they weren't about money. Goal! was being developed as Kick Off 3, but then (again, from what I heard), Dino Dini and Anco "broke up", and Virgin bought the project
You are correct, Sir!
It was not money that was the issue, but Loyalty... and not on my part.

//admin: please don't use direct signature in your post, configure your UserCP instead.

Last edited by Ian; 27 April 2002 at 14:40.

Old 27 April 2002, 14:27   #25
dinodini

Re: Kick Off overkill

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Janssen
Riempie,
I too own some magazines which have reviews and articles about Kick Off and its successors. Here they come… *sigh*:

I cannot promise to scan them all in on the short term, but I’ll upload the Zzap! Kick Off 1 & 2 reviews next Monday.
I would be greatly indebted to you as I do not have a complete collection.

With all good wishes,

//admin: please don't use direct signature in your post, configure your UserCP instead.

Old 27 April 2002, 15:58   #26
Bloodwych

^ I love the EAB when we receive guest appearances from the Amigas past and present developers!

Welcome dinodini!
Old 27 April 2002, 17:17   #27
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Agreed
I wonder who else from the Amigas game scene visits this forum.
Old 27 April 2002, 18:03   #28
LaundroMat

Some journo's from Amiga magazines long gone would be nice
Old 27 April 2002, 18:17   #29
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Question AP Fake Letter story

could anyone tell me more about the hows and whys regarding the fake letter?
I cannot know anything about it, because I'm not British and I never knew of Amiga Power until the Internet came up with some scans.
Thanks.
Old 28 April 2002, 06:10   #30
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Hey man, am I get important or what? Other day was Martyn Brown from Team 17 talking to me, now it's Mr Dino Dini ! Now I think I should stopping talking Kick Off is rubbish ...

I agree about the shooting method in those games, and I also agree that the shooting method in Kick Off (and Goal!) is great (Also in Sensible World of Soccer, as they are very similar).

I have a soccer game in my mind, that if I had the power, I would code. I think the best way would to use an analogue joystick, as with an analogue joystick, you can point to virtually any direction (and not only the 8 main directions), so it would be much more realistic (and more challenging too). This method was used in an ancient arcade game I can't remember the name now (it's from Tecmo, if I remember well). If I am not mistaken, it was also used in the arcade version of Fighting Soccer.

Fifa really is too bad.. Fifa 94 and 95 were good, they were designed by the same guy (can't remember his name)... then after making Fifa 95, he passed away, and then Fifa just got worse and worse.....

I still have to play Winning Eleven 5 and 6... actually, I never even played an PSX 2... any chances of a release for the Game Cube? A friend of mine already got it, so at least I could try it in this machine..
Old 28 April 2002, 14:40   #31
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs up

Welcome Dino Dini!!
I was never a soccer fan, but with Kick Off coming in the Amiga bundle Commodore had here, it was a constant favourite to relax to at the end of the day. After reading the various Zzap stories/ challanges etc. I could see why so many liked it, it was simple,fast & fun to play.

@ Shatterhand. When did you get to chat to Martyn Brown? Given your success rate,we need you to provoke other former Amiga "stars" to appear! Any thoughts on who next, Andrew Braybrook, Peter Molyneaux, Archer Maclean,anyone??!
Old 28 April 2002, 21:09   #32
dinodini

Re: AP Fake Letter story

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
could anyone tell me more about the hows and whys regarding the fake letter?
I cannot know anything about it, because I'm not British and I never knew of Amiga Power until the Internet came up with some scans.
Thanks.
I have no idea who wrote the letter, but they published it without checking its authenticity. I am no where near as much of a prat as that letter might suggest, regardless of what some in the KOA might say....

Old 28 April 2002, 21:40   #33
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I was surprised that Amiga Power fell for that fake letter, as they were always quite sharp!

I posted the scans of the fake letter and apology to the Zone, so tell me if anyone wants it re-uploaded.
Old 29 April 2002, 05:33   #34
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I didn't chat with him... I think it was in the top 20 list from Cody, I said something stupid about Qwak (I said the music was from Allister Brimble, when actually is from Bjorn Lynne, and something else I don't remember), and he just came and corrected me

so, well, he spoke to me, indirectly
Old 29 April 2002, 07:10   #35
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Question

Sorry to go O.T.
Yeah, someone showed me Shatterhand,it was Cody's Top 20 listing. A pity Martyn Brown hasn't revisited since. He always seemed to give the impression in press interviews that he was quite forthwright in his views about the Amiga gaming market.
I wonder how he hear of EAB?

Would be interesting to hear what he thinks of the games industry today,compared to publishing back then.
Old 29 April 2002, 09:40   #36
Tim Janssen

Post Kick Off 1 & 2 in The Zone

As promised I have uploaded both Kick Off 1 & 2 reviews in The Zone. Both reviews originally appeared in the best British magazine ever: Zzap!

Wednesday I will post two scanned reviews of Goal!:
- 2-page review in April 1993 in German magazine Amiga Joker;
- 2-page review in June 1994(!) in Dutch magazine Amiga Magazine.
At the moment I do not have a scanned CU Amiga review of Goal!. However, for my soon-to-be-announced homepage I have a HTML-edition of that review. I can upload it also if you want.
Old 02 May 2002, 08:23   #37
Tim Janssen

Post Goal reviews

I have put these reviews in The Zone:
- 2-page review in April 1993 in German magazine Amiga Joker;
- 2-page review in June 1994(!) in Dutch magazine Amiga Magazine.
Old 02 May 2002, 08:38   #38
Riempie
Amiga freak

Thanks Tim!!

Now, when was Amiga Action, Amiga Format, CU Amiga (Commodore User), Amiga One founded? Didn't they have any reviews of Kick Off 1 & 2?
Old 02 May 2002, 08:56   #39
Tim Janssen

Post CU Amiga review

Aargh, I almost forgot to upload the HTML-version of the CU Amiga review of Goal!. It is in The Zone now. The HTML-ised review of Goal! is taken from my soon-to-be-announced homepage. Please note the pictures are abscent -I hope it won't spoil the pleasure of reading.

All the magazines you mention originated in 1988/1989 around the time Kick Off 1 was published. In the CU Amiga Goal!-review one can read CU Amiga has reviewed both Kick Off 1 & 2. They have admit giving a score in the low seventies for Kick Off 1 was a big mistake.
Old 02 May 2002, 17:11   #40
dinodini

Many thanks