English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Sprites

Old 18 December 2006, 12:19   #1
method
Zone Friend

How To Get Palette From Screenshot??

Well, so far I've been searching for the palette in GFXRip.. usually quite successfully... but occasionally.. without any success at all!!

I remember someone posting here mentioning that they just load the palette into GFXRip from a screeny... What I wanted to ask... is how are you doing this?

('cuz WinUAE, at least the way I'm using it.. is producing screenshots that include the WinUAE UI as well)

Any tips would be appreciated as there are quite a few more games I could add if I could do this.
Old 18 December 2006, 14:14   #2
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by method

('cuz WinUAE, at least the way I'm using it.. is producing screenshots that include the WinUAE UI as well)
you mean thet you use it windowed?

if you would like to have screenshots without compression, full screen, i suggest you to check the specs for the HOL screenies; images in GIF or PNG (16bit) can have up to 256 colours on the palette, the same as your usual amiga screen. then you load the image in a program as paint shop pro, Gimp, or even Photoshop, and you save the palette. problem is that the colour order is made up from what's on winuae screen in the moment you take the screenshot, and it don't goes 1:1 with your sprites or anything, as different pieces of graphic in games, even if on screen at the same time, may have different little palettes. so this way is unsuitable for to get the colours for your sprites, least you don't want to replace any single colour, using your eye as guide, on ripped graphics from a saved palette in a graphic program.
further complication is that you would need the ripped graphic from a game area and a screenshot from that same area for the colours to be consistent.
Old 18 December 2006, 16:30   #3
method
Zone Friend

Ugh... sounds like a nightmare!!

I guess the only way is to take a screeny and match the colours up individually by comparing pixels in each image.

I'm just glad that with most games I can find the palette.

Oh well.. might not have been the news I was hoping for ... but thanks for the prompt reply
Old 18 December 2006, 17:22   #4
BippyM
Global Moderator

Take a screenshot and then with paint shop pro simply load in the gfx you ripped and the screenshot and change the colour of the palette in the ripped gfx
Old 18 December 2006, 18:32   #5
Marcuz

bippym method is ok for everything but to reuse the graphic inside an amiga game, as you would need to have the palette reindexed. that aside is the good solution you need.