English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Tutorials

Old 19 July 2023, 10:31   #1
bronwaith

Setting Up Cubic IDE for MorphOS and updating to latest VBCC

Setting up Cubic IDE as a beginner to the amiga-like operating system can be quite challenging, here is a brief walkthrough of how I have set it up. By no means is this the preferred way, this has been done incredibly jankily, however, this will get the job down until you have more knowledge and understanding.

We will presume that you have no prior installed cubic or VBCC install on your MOS computer, if you already do, please uninstall them and then continue this tutorial.

Firstly, we require the correct copy of the rexxsyslib.library, I had this copy from an old amiga forever 8 iso I bought years ago now, you cannot use the library built into MorphOS as it is incomplete and will cause errors during the install process.

Once you have this library file, we need to replace it in MOS, from your
"System" drive, you want to navigate to "MorphOS" and then to "Libs", note you will probably have to enable hidden folders, you can do this by right clicking the file manager window and selecting "view/all files", once you are in the "Libs" drawer, find the existing "rexxsyslib.library" and rename it to “rexxsyslib.library_disabled" and replace with your original M68K library.

Now, all we need to do is replace the installer program for part of the install process, I found that InstallerNG on aminet works perfectly, so download that and run through its installer, it should install this onto sys:C drawer, copy that new replaced installer and go to system:MorphOS/C and when you rename “Installer" to "Installer_disabled" and paste in your installerNG. *DO NOT
REPLACE THE MOSSYS INSTALLER, MAKE SURE TO RENAME IT FIRST*

Now open a new shell and change drawers into your cubic IDE CD and type "installer Setup" if your installer window has a graphic image ontop then something went wrong, follow the guide again, however if it does not, you are free to go through the install. Remember that the SDK's here are incredibly outdated so dont try to install the MorphOS SDK, just select the AmigaOS NDK during the C installer part.

Once the installer has completed, reboot your system.

Go back to SYS:C AND SYS:MorphOS/C and remove the InstallerNG programs and rename the disabled installer programs to how they were. We are going to update VBCC now.

Download the MorphOS VBCC bin and the M68K target, extract the LHA and go through the installer of the MOS VBCC bin and once that is complete, extract the M68K target and copy both the "targets" and "config" drawers and go to devkits:compilers/vbcc/0.8j and paste them there.

Download the AmigaOS 3.2 NDK, create a drawer titled "ndk_32" and extract the LHA into that drawer, now copy the "ndk_32" drawer and paste it into devkits:sdk/classic. We are almost done now...

Load up Cubic, let it finish its setup and go create a new C project by
following the IDE's guide. On the creation of the C project select "Amiga Project", once that is created, make sure to select VBCC as your compiler from the toolbar up top and then press F3 to make. It should ask you for the SBIN assign, just press assign on the dialog box and assign SBIN to BIN:

And now everything should be compiling correctly! Congratulations, you now have a working cubic+MorphOS! <3

I'm sure there are easier ways to do this, but this is what worked for me!

Best of wishes and good luck on your future amiga developments. <3