Originally Posted by Jeff_HxC2001 View Post
IPF->HFE conversion : Possible since 2008
Uuh, nice!

Quote:
Variable bitrate,weak bits : Yes, quickly in the future
WOW!

Quote:
Limitations ? : About which point ?
I don't know... some protection types not supported, for example...
Old 27 May 2015, 11:04   #102
ferix

Quote:
The current firmware (ADF+HFE) take already ~90KB, the bootloader ~27KB, This is a 128KB device. So i am not sure that all will fit into the internal flash.
There is twice the flash space of the PIC18, but the ARM instructions opcodes are twice longer, and the USB Stack take a lot more than the SD Card "stack". (The SD HXC bootloader for the PIC18 take 4KB, with the FAT32 support versus 27KB for the same functionnality into the STM32).
Ok, I see... that's a pitty :P
Anyway, I'm just curious... Can the STM32 use "Thumb" instructions? Are you already using them?

@Vot
I have no problem having different drives for different machines, but as I said I would love to have one that could be shared between machines straightaway...
But I can live without it, I have several gotek drives

Last edited by ferix; 27 May 2015 at 18:44.
Old 31 May 2015, 21:37   #103
Yulquen74

Does the HxC firmware support a soft eject mode (by using the select switches), or do you have to remove the usb stick as before to stop it from booting?
Old 31 May 2015, 23:13   #104
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferix View Post
Ok, I see... that's a pitty :P
Anyway, I'm just curious... Can the STM32 use "Thumb" instructions? Are you already using them?
More exactly the Thumb2 instructions : 2 & 4 bytes instructions mixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulquen74 View Post
Does the HxC firmware support a soft eject mode (by using the select switches), or do you have to remove the usb stick as before to stop it from booting?
The gotek have only 2 buttons : up and down. So this sound difficult to implement. The SD HxC have 3 buttons and have this function. Anyway what are you trying to do (i mean : what is the problem about removing the stick ?)

BTW firmware update ! :

http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_d...a_firmware.zip

http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_d...ease_notes.txt

Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------H----H--X----X-----CCCCC----22222----0000-----0000------11----------
----------H----H----X-X-----C--------------2---0----0---0----0--1--1-----------
---------HHHHHH-----X------C----------22222---0----0---0----0-----1------------
--------H----H----X--X----C----------2-------0----0---0----0-----1-------------
-------H----H---X-----X---CCCCC-----222222----0000-----0000----1111------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

31 may 2015: Firmware USB HxCFloppyEmulator v3.0.2.5a

- CPC & Shugart disk change signal timing corrected.
    - Dead lock issue while existing the direct access mode corrected.
Old 01 June 2015, 01:24   #105
kipper2k

here is a picture of my internal and external floppy emulator, it will accept Herve's and Jeffs image. as you may notice there are a couple of jumpers to fix my screw ups. Final revision has gone in for manufacture now, external board will be in a case (albeit a 3D printed case) and the internal board will also be covered with a plastic top to clean it up. Internal mounts are done, just waiting for the new boards now for the final fit, You do not have to put any holes in your case, the mounts will remain in place with hot glue on the inside and small screws will mount the internal floppy emulators daughter board . Boards can be pre-programmed or sold blank. The A500 internal version does not require a 34 pin or power cable, the A600/A1200 require only a 4 pin power cable (or even just a one pin cable carrying 5v). LED displays will be either red or green. Audio is included on the boards.

I am not sure if this will fit in an Atari, Atari owners please take a peek and let me know if this may/not fit. The external floppy board can be mounted to an Atari by means of the Atari 14 pin to 23/25 pin cable. (if they exist, or can be made ?)

As promised, the external board plugs directly into the 23 pin Amiga connector so it will be nice and small and there is no need to buy an adapter to make it work, it is plug and play. Functionality will be identical to the Gotek, and whatever functions Jeff has included in his FW

Last edited by kipper2k; 01 June 2015 at 01:42.
Old 01 June 2015, 02:19   #106
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

That external floppy emulator looks awesome for my A1200
Old 01 June 2015, 06:46   #107
Jeff_HxC2001

@kipper2k I hope that you didn't make a simple copy/past of the gotek schematic since these devices are quite weak... You should at least add ESD protections on the buttons & display lines, on the USB, and maybe the most important for the security of the Amiga and the user : add a current limiter on the USB power supply and a fuse/polyswitch at the power supply input. Do you know that the gotek shouldn't be sold on the U.S & E.U territory regarding the EMC compatibility and electrical safety ? . Take also care of the possible EMI/EMC problems with this ribbon. ( This is just some advices )

Other subject : Is there a mean to connect an I2C LCD on the board ?
Old 01 June 2015, 07:43   #108
Yulquen74

Quote:
More exactly the Thumb2 instructions : 2 & 4 bytes instructions mixed.

The gotek have only 2 buttons : up and down. So this sound difficult to implement. The SD HxC have 3 buttons and have this function. Anyway what are you trying to do (i mean : what is the problem about removing the stick ?)

if you are at 000, pushing down could take you to ---, which would be eject mode.
The idea is when using it in a hard disk based system, to have an easy way
to stop it from booting or delaying the booting without removing the stick
all the time.
Old 01 June 2015, 13:52   #109
kipper2k

Quote:
@kipper2k I hope that you didn't make a simple copy/past of the gotek schematic since these devices are quite weak... You should at least add ESD protections on the buttons & display lines, on the USB, and maybe the most important for the security of the Amiga and the user : add a current limiter on the USB power supply and a fuse/polyswitch at the power supply input. Do you know that the gotek shouldn't be sold on the U.S & E.U territory regarding the EMC compatibility and electrical safety ? . Take also care of the possible EMI/EMC problems with this ribbon. ( This is just some advices )

Other subject : Is there a mean to connect an I2C LCD on the board ?
I sent you pm regarding I2C, the actual schematic is almost identical to the gotek schematic with a few upgrades to the cheapie parts that they use. There are a lot of Goteks being sold around the world and i think almost everyone has them by now. Ebay and Amazon must have sold thousands of these. There is no other option than to use a cable to get the required signals to the daughter board, the cable shown is on the long side and does not need to be that long.
Old 01 June 2015, 13:54   #110
dirkies
Zone Friend

Hey Kipper, does the internal version have a bootswitch functionality too, so we can still boot from external real floppies?
Old 01 June 2015, 14:01   #111
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkies View Post
Hey Kipper, does the internal version have a bootswitch functionality too, so we can still boot from external real floppies?
Hi,

You can use early startup to boot from df0, Df1 or HDD on any 2.0 kickstart or higher. If you have no HDD, no disk in df0: and a bootable in DF1: then DF1: will boot so there is flexibility for controlling boot devices. A lot of games that use track loaders will not boot from DF1 so only those games/apps that followed the rules when made will work properly. (This is based on HM's code, so whatever works on a "real" gotek flashed with HM's code will behave the same on mine)
Old 01 June 2015, 14:06   #112
dirkies
Zone Friend

ah ok, for 1.3 games would have been nice as a small extra gimmick on the PCB independent of the Gotek circuitry, but ok, I already have a bootswitcher, will just make things a bit thicker for those going this way
Old 01 June 2015, 14:08   #113
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkies View Post
ah ok, for 1.3 games would have been nice as a small extra gimmick on the PCB independent of the Gotek circuitry, but ok, I already have a bootswitcher, will just make things a bit thicker for those going this way
I'll throw in a 1.3KS and see what happens... as i thought, it will not pick up a boot on df1... you would prob have to go the hardware mod route

Last edited by kipper2k; 01 June 2015 at 14:16.
Old 01 June 2015, 14:19   #114
dirkies
Zone Friend

throw in, come on Kipper, just wave your hand for kickstart 1.3
Old 01 June 2015, 17:37   #115
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
here is a picture of my internal and external floppy emulator[/IMG]
kipper that looks fantastic!
MAy I ask if there will be options to mount the display/buttons in some other way? I don't like the thing propping out of the side and would much rather have it fitting internally like old Goteks or an HxC.
Old 01 June 2015, 18:12   #116
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
kipper that looks fantastic!
MAy I ask if there will be options to mount the display/buttons in some other way? I don't like the thing propping out of the side and would much rather have it fitting internally like old Goteks or an HxC.
Hi,

The nice thing about the daughter board is it can be easily portable and remounted with a new design to fit where people would want. All the necessary signals are on the daughter board. Let me have a bit more details on what you would like to see and we can try to make it an option.

I thought about it sitting inside like a regular gotek but the display is not readily visible, that is why i moved it slightly out... but not too far out to make it too wide, and of course something that can be done without cutting the case, most have been through hell already by now
Old 01 June 2015, 18:30   #117
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
Hi,

The nice thing about the daughter board is it can be easily portable and remounted with a new design to fit where people would want. All the necessary signals are on the daughter board. Let me have a bit more details on what you would like to see and we can try to make it an option.
Great to know! I'll give it a think.

Personally I don't care much about the display, I would look at it once or twice during use, I believe. But it would be great to come up with an option that shows the display as well as keeps it all more tucked inside.

My main concern is because I usually use my Amigas at tight spots and my PCMCIA readers are already protruding too baldy for my liking. (maybe I should consider mounting them internally)
Old 05 June 2015, 07:01   #118
Jeff_HxC2001

W.i.p !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image5.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	44391  
Old 05 June 2015, 07:52   #119
supaduper

Will you be selling these as an add-on to the Gotek jeff ?

I will take one if you are, its great that you are improving the Gotek for us
Old 05 June 2015, 12:40   #120
kipper2k

I added a header to the boards to allow these LCD displays that Jeff is working on, they can be used as an addon for those that would like to see a description of the current file. can add to either external and internal

Last edited by kipper2k; 05 June 2015 at 12:46.