English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 16 August 2011, 23:26   #221
pintcat

The latest 1.3.1 runs slower than 1.2.x. Even native Amiga games like Secret of Monkey Island are considerably slower. Plus ScummVM hangs/freezes very often now.
Also, I didn't manage to enable speech & sfx. Music runs fine, though.
And yes, I found the boing ball splash after enabling aspect ratio correction. Actually I like the 320x240 resolution, because it uses the whole screen, but I really don't like scaling during the game.
Old 17 August 2011, 01:24   #222
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintcat View Post
The latest 1.3.1 runs slower than 1.2.x. Even native Amiga games like Secret of Monkey Island are considerably slower. Plus ScummVM hangs/freezes very often now.
Also, I didn't manage to enable speech & sfx. Music runs fine, though.
And yes, I found the boing ball splash after enabling aspect ratio correction. Actually I like the 320x240 resolution, because it uses the whole screen, but I really don't like scaling during the game.
Hiya,

That's strange, other 060 users have said that 1.3.1 is more stable than 1.2.x

Try running version 1.2.x in VGA mode and then compare again

Also, not why couldn't you get speech & sfx working....it's working fine for me? Sounds like there is something wrong with your setup or maybe data files.

I've also been using 1.3.1 on my own 030 1200 and it runs at the same speed as 1.2.x and hasn't had a single crash yet on my machine.

The timing in 1.3.1 is more accurate than in 1.2.x, now the sound FX are now correct in games like Full Throttle.

Last edited by NovaCoder; 17 August 2011 at 04:31.
Old 20 August 2011, 04:34   #223
pintcat

Now I grabbed the latest (stable?) 1.3.1 from Aminet for another test. The first good thing is that it uses "native" monitor drivers again. I'm not a big fan of those multiscan/VGA drivers. Also, the sound is working well again (maybe I messed up my settings when I tested the last beta). It IS more stable now for sure and the the sound might be more accurate too, although it is a bit slower than the previous 1.2.1. But games like Day Of The Tentacle and Sam & Max are still playable and Full Throttles's intro and action sequences are still slow as hell.
One little issue which also appeared in 1.2.1 (I think I've mentioned it somewhere before): I usually set up the audio via the global configuration. When I start a game and return to the launcher again the override mode is switched on and of course uses different settings, because it wasn't configured yet. Is that normal?
Old 20 August 2011, 06:39   #224
NovaCoder

Quote:
I usually set up the audio via the global configuration. When I start a game and return to the launcher again the override mode is switched on and of course uses different settings, because it wasn't configured yet. Is that normal?
Yep I think that's normal ScummVM behavior.
Old 20 August 2011, 12:08   #225
pintcat

Well... OK. It's a bit annoying, because sometimes I start a game I get just the music and the only way to turn sfx and speech back on is to return to the options screen, switch off the override mode and restart the game.
Old 22 August 2011, 05:12   #226
NovaCoder

Quote:
Full Throttles's intro and action sequences are still slow as hell.
I'm surprised you're finding the intro to Full Throttle plays really slowly on your 060, even my little 030 doesn't do too bad a job with it

Maybe your HD transfer rate is really slow

Last edited by NovaCoder; 29 August 2011 at 13:19.
Old 22 August 2011, 09:49   #227
pintcat

That looks magnificent! Since the intro and some in-between sequences are nothing else but giant movie streams played in real time, a good transfer rate should be the key to success. But I always thought my HD transfer rate is good enough. Copying data to another medium (i.e. RAM-Disk) and back works pretty fast. Maybe I'm using an "unlucky" hardware combination? My HD actually is a CF module mounted on a simple IDEFix adapter.
Next I tried to increase the drive buffer to 163000 (~80mb) which didn't help much either. Then I wanted to see how fast it runs without sound, but I couldn't disable it! I tried both, the global and game specific settings, but I always get the whole thing: speech sfx & music. The question is: If no audio device and emulation mode is chosen, how is the sound even created?
Old 22 August 2011, 10:04   #228
NovaCoder

I think you have to choose 'subtitles only' to disable SFX and music in Full Throttle.

Update:
BTW, you need 5MB p/s+ for smooth Full Throttle action.

Last edited by NovaCoder; 22 August 2011 at 11:34.
Old 22 August 2011, 10:12   #229
pintcat

Same result. And with subtitles on it runs even slower.
Old 29 August 2011, 13:22   #230
NovaCoder

SummVM v1.3.1 for 030's is almost ready for release and will be uploaded to AmiNet after I've finished testing it on my own machine.

I've manged to slightly increase performance by using a faster C2P routine than before and now even my 030 can almost run the Full Throttle Intro at full speed -> [ Show youtube player ]

Old 02 September 2011, 03:46   #231
Xenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
SummVM v1.3.1 for 030's is almost ready for release and will be uploaded to AmiNet after I've finished testing it on my own machine.

I've manged to slightly increase performance by using a faster C2P routine than before and now even my 030 can almost run the Full Throttle Intro at full speed -> [ Show youtube player ]

I have no words
Old 05 September 2011, 05:01   #232
NovaCoder

v1.3.1.003 just uploaded to Aminet

Code:
v1.3.1.003 - 03/09/2011

New in this release:

1) Much better timing used, now sfx are played on time (there has been a slight performance hit though).
2) SCI games support added (these games seem to run very slowly on my 1200 030).
3) It should be more stable than the last release.
4) New C2P routine used for increased speed.
Old 05 September 2011, 10:19   #233
HOL2001
Amigamaniac

Many thanks!
Old 05 September 2011, 11:04   #234
xc8
no c= no fun

THANK YOU!!
Old 07 September 2011, 16:50   #235
pintcat

I was experimenting with different patches which move the exec.library to FastRAM and spotted some slight speedups in many cases. Also with ScummVM! The bad thing is that it runs less stable then. Indeed, with exec.library in FastRAM ScummVM crashes more often than ever before.
Old 08 September 2011, 01:20   #236
NovaCoder

Yes you should always copy your ROMS to FASTRAM, this will speed up everything you do in WB, not just ScummVM!

If you have a Blizzard you should look at Blizkick (which will also speed you your IDE because it has SpeedyIDE built in).

I've built a custom 3.9 ROM which I load into FASTRAM when I boot with my ACA so I don't even need a soft reset

If you're having stability issues you should check your system for patch conficts and also run a memory checker because my system is very stable with ScummVM AGA v1.3.x.

BTW v1.3.1.003 060 has been released to AmiNet, should be faster still

Last edited by NovaCoder; 08 September 2011 at 05:17.
Old 11 November 2011, 16:02   #237
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Using the latest 030 AGA version from Aminet.
I am getting some odd issues.
The program starts in one of two ways.

1. The splash screen is black and white. The menu loads with colour, but flickers very badly.
2. The splash screen loads normally but the menu does not appear.

In both instances ESC gets me back to workbench. If I then enter the SCUMMVM AGA .info settings and change a tooltype, the Amiga crashes when hitting save.

My system is an A1200 Blizzard 1230 MkIV 32MB RAM and an Indivision AGA. I run CWB Full. In my Devs/Monitors I have only PAL and NTSC. I can run WB ok in Multiscan modes through the Indivision.

Has anyone seen similar issues?
Old 12 November 2011, 19:30   #238
rockersuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
Using the latest 030 AGA version from Aminet.
I am getting some odd issues.
The program starts in one of two ways.

1. The splash screen is black and white. The menu loads with colour, but flickers very badly.
2. The splash screen loads normally but the menu does not appear.

In both instances ESC gets me back to workbench. If I then enter the SCUMMVM AGA .info settings and change a tooltype, the Amiga crashes when hitting save.

My system is an A1200 Blizzard 1230 MkIV 32MB RAM and an Indivision AGA. I run CWB Full. In my Devs/Monitors I have only PAL and NTSC. I can run WB ok in Multiscan modes through the Indivision.

Yes and not. First time I loaded it the splash screen looked right, but launcher colours were flashing very badly. When I clicked "quit", the whole Amiga went into guru.

On my second attempt I changed auto_select_audio into FALSE to select Paula 8 bits stereo. It worked fine.

Then I changed it back to TRUE. Nothing happened, that's to say, it still was (and is) working fine, so it seems that it wasn't an auto_select_audio tooltype issue.

So far I've only played with Day Of The Tentacle and Indy:Fate Of Atlantis, and everything is going fast and smooth!

--
Old 13 November 2011, 05:15   #239
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
I run CWB Full. In my Devs/Monitors I have only PAL and NTSC. I can run WB ok in Multiscan modes through the Indivision.

If your running ClassicWB it has a nasty patch installed by default called 'CuberBugFix', if you choose to disable it your problems will probably go away. CuberBugFix is not a great thing to have running on your system, it's not WB friendly and doesn't really give you much benefit.

You should't need PAL in your monitors/devs BTW as it seems to be in the ROM

Also make sure you patch your memcpy routines for extra speed (see the readme).

Last edited by NovaCoder; 14 November 2011 at 02:01.
Old 16 November 2011, 15:45   #240
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
If your running ClassicWB it has a nasty patch installed by default called 'CuberBugFix', if you choose to disable it your problems will probably go away. CuberBugFix is not a great thing to have running on your system, it's not WB friendly and doesn't really give you much benefit.
Hi, I cant find cyberbugfix of cuberbugfix in my install. I use CWB ADVSP v24